Have you finished a game of Beyond Earth?

Have you finished a game of Beyond Earth?

• Yes, of course I have.

Votes: 214 86.3%
  • No, and I don't know if I will ...

Votes: 26 10.5%
  • No, but not for lack of trying! (I really want to)

Votes: 8 3.2%

• Total voters

comatosedragon

Emperor
I'm just curious. I am not hating, or trolling. I realize since this is "CivFanatics', the poll will not be very accurate (as most of us here are just that; fanatics). I am just wondering if the game turned out to be what you were hoping.

Personally, I pre-ordered the game, pre-loaded it, and waited up until midnight on launch day to play it. I have tried a dozen or so games since then, and have yet to get past turn 100. (Not because I lose, just because the game doesn't seem fun to me, in the same way that Civ does, which is odd, since it is almost the same game).

Yup. Played a bunch of games, finished most. I love the aesthetic and a lot of the things they're trying out with the Civ V concepts. It's a very ambitious game for a side-Civ.

Yup. Played a bunch of games, finished most. I love the aesthetic and a lot of the things they're trying out with the Civ V concepts. It's a very ambitious game for a side-Civ.

I agree, and hope to finish a game soon. In full disclosure, it probably took me several weeks before I finished a game of Civ V too . . .

Well I would hope all the people compaining about how horrible it is have at least finished a game before judging it.

I've finished several games. There's a lot I like about BE, I feel it has a lot of potential. Which is why a lot of the problems with it frustrate me so much.

I'm just curious. I am not hating, or trolling. I realize since this is "CivFanatics', the poll will not be very accurate (as most of us here are just that; fanatics). I am just wondering if the game turned out to be what you were hoping.

Personally, I pre-ordered the game, pre-loaded it, and waited up until midnight on launch day to play it. I have tried a dozen or so games since then, and have yet to get past turn 100. (Not because I lose, just because the game doesn't seem fun to me, in the same way that Civ does, which is odd, since it is almost the same game).

I understand what you mean. Game is interesting at the beginning but it gets very, very slow towards the end. Especially if you settle wide empire.
And trade route management is just a mess.

I remember my first game in which I was forcing myself to end it.
I went towards promised land victory....
First, I found that damn transparent button 20 turns after building the Exodus Gate. Second, I did not know that earthling settlers are super slow on roads, so I did not build maglevs. :(

:crazyeye:...50 turns clicking and dragging units, just trying to finish the game...:crazyeye:
IT WAS HELL !

Even now, I am often reluctant to load middle-end save game and throw myself in micromanagement hell. I think I finished about 50% of games which I started.

I made sure to get at least one of each victory. I've done emancipation, transcendence and domination more than once.

I've already finished a couple of games, including a victory on Apollo. Once you get the hang of things, the first 100 turns usually fly by for me without even noticing how much time is passing - definitely a sign that I enjoy the game quite a lot.

Actually, the first 100 turns are merely the "early game" for me now and I usually only decide roughly at that point if I like where the game is going or not.

I play only on the largest map size on epic speed, so for me, games take quite a long time.

I have finished the two games I have started: One Promised Land victory on Mercury difficulty, and one Emancipation victory on Vostok.

I am now playing a game on Gemini, and so far (approximately 200 turns into the game) Gemini doesn't really feel a step up in difiiculty compared to Vostok.

About the game's perceived problems: I agree that the game needs work, but to me it doesn't feel like the calamity that many people say it is. Yes, there is some micromanagement, and yes trade routes are a chore to manage, but those are minor issues. We know there will be a balancing patch - heck there will probably be more balance patches, so balance doesn't bother me either. (I often think that complaining about balance in these games shows impatience and not insight - don't prove yourselves to be impatient guys. Impatience is not an enviable character trait).

To me the greatest concerns are:

Wonders are way too bland. The vast majority of wonders only add a few more credits/culture/production than regular buildings - and that's it. No great loss if you miss out on a few - as compared to civ where you would many times have to alter your strategy if you missed out on key wonders. To me, this is a key issue.

Building "sprawl" for want of a better word: There are just too many damned buildings in the game, and honestly I am having a hard time differentiating them from each other. Surely they can be concentrated into fewer and more meaningful buildings??

Anyway...just my two cents :)

Have finished many, many full games. Down to 2 achievements left.

Every now and then I'll abandon a game because the conditions seem not as interesting, but I'm still finding lots of new ways to keep my interest level high, and looking forward to whenever they release that patch release firaxis recently posted as being worked on.

I've finished one. I'm reluctant to start a new game though (other than messing about with some mods), as I'm hanging out for a bugfix and balance patch.

I've finished around 10 games. Still have a couple unfinished hot-seat games with my friends, but I'll wait for the patch before starting any new games.

I still haven't. The end game is just so boring...

I have tried a dozen or so games since then, and have yet to get past turn 100. (Not because I lose, just because the game doesn't seem fun to me, in the same way that Civ does, which is odd, since it is almost the same game).

Guh, I know that feeling. I keep loading up games, playing 50ish turns and then find myself thinking "I guess I'll go for contact to get this over with quickly". Then I pause to contemplate how boring the game is if my only desire is to get it over with as fast as possible, and inevitably turn it off and go do something. Even on the games I have finished I realized in hindsight I was probably spending more time alt-tabbed doing other things than actually playing the game.

Anytime now with that patch Firaxis, I would greatly appreciate it if you finally added Apollo difficulty to this beta instead of the current placeholder. :(

I've finished 13 games to be precise and logged 192 hours. For awhile I was only getting around 5 hours sleep per night because of the game. The game is everything I wanted, and a worthy spiritual successor to SMAC in my opinion. I look forward to patches addressing balancing issues, and really hope there will be at least one expansion pack.

Game too easy, nothing happens (ie if ai never attack) you can win easy without a fight till end game, bored off my nuts ive completed 20 times. even on highest level.

I've finished two games on Epic, each taking about 20 hours of real time to complete. I like the quick pace of the early game, not having to pay for upgrading my units (we'll see how long this lasts) etc.

No matter which Civ game we're talking about though, I have quit a game after a few hours if I don't like where it's going, if the start is seriously detrimental to my fun etc. I haven't played long enough for that to happen with Civ BE yet but I know that it will at some point and that's not something I'd blame the game for.

And the late game in any Civ game has always been a tad tedious as well. The real fun has usually been the early and middle games for me. Late game, I'm usually a colossus and I know it. I'm just waiting to win. Civ BE seems to be a bit better, but not much, because of the new victory conditions. I used to feel a bit sad when I reached the Modern Era in Civ IV because the games pretty much always felt the same. most civs had seen their unique units and buildings come and go and now it's all Infantry, tanks destroyers and jets.

Top Bottom