• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

History questions not worth their own thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
They also suffer from being 8 times the size of a normal novel. So not only do you have to sit through a bad story to get a political manifesto, you have to sit through a massive bad story to get a political manifesto.

Hi, I need names of the greatest leaders of ancient Greece for a project.
Can you wirte here some of the leaders you think that were the greatest?
From anywhere, until the Macedonian era.
Tyrants, Archons, or whatever.
But only leaders who actually ruled a city or a state for some time.
Not great generals.
I mean, people like Pericles for example. Not at his level of "greatness", but in similiar authority or more.
(Not only Athnenaians...)

So, uh, that's kind of vague. What's "great" supposed to mean? And can we get some years on "ancient Greece"?

Spite? That does seem to be the predominant emotion among South-East Europeans.

There tends to be a desire to focus on the Poleis. The figures anyone knows or cares about outside there are fairly rare and very exceptional. For all I know, there were great leaders in Cyrenaica that have been lost to history.

There tends to be a desire to focus on the Poleis. The figures anyone knows or cares about outside there are fairly rare and very exceptional. For all I know, there were great leaders in Cyrenaica that have been lost to history.
Kyrenaia, a region only notable in terms of Greek history for a single polis? Odd thing to juxtapose.

Churchill. Dachs is basically saying that he couldn't win the war by himself, so any power awarded to him by FDR (the 400 pound gorilla in the war room) in the alliance was either out of respect for our "Anglo-Saxon heritage" or because we really liked the idea of an unsinkable aircraft carrier to bomb the crap out of Germany from.
You missed my point. Dachs asked who cared about personality politics, and I said FDR. The guy blatantly and obviously put personality politics ahead of foreign policy considerations on more than one occasion. Particularly over Vichy and De Gaulle.

It's comforting to know her insanity hasn't infected some parts of the world (or apparently most of it, since both Plot and Atticus profess that she is beyond irrelevant outside of the US).

She's routinely on high school reading lists in our God-forsaken country.
I briefly considered reading her after I saw Iron Man 2 - Cracked and a few other websites mentioned that the movie included elements of her work, but seemed divided on whether they were mocking her or not - but realised that I really didn't care.

Our so-called "political discourse" is crazy enough as it is. I can't imagine how it would be with Randism *shudder*
Just today I read a federal government report claiming that high-income families who sent their kids to public schools instead of paying for private schooling were "clogging" the public school system. Gotta love this country.

Why wouldn't you?
Because they were Slavs?

Kyrenaia, a region only notable in terms of Greek history for a single polis? Odd thing to juxtapose.

FWIW, wasn't it a Pentapolis (i.e., 5 city-states together)? However, my point was to pick the fringes. I would have gone with Magna Graecia, but I didn't want to draw Syracuse in because there's one Greek so exceptional there that everyone knows who he is. I could have picked a place on the Black Sea or Massalia if that were better for my point. My only point was that the main Greek city-states are better documented and more often taught, so people think of them more often even when there might be less well-documented figures elsewhere no one will ever think of.

No, without macedonia.
About macedonia I can easiely read on wikipedia.

Before Alex, there have been so many polises and city-states and I got lost.
I know about Athens' glory days with the Delian league, and the Spartan Peloponnese league.
But not much.

By great, I mean a leader which is well known, mostly for his positive actions.
He doesn't have to be pure and kind. He can be successful and prominent in many ways. I mean, leaders like Justinian or even Stalin counts for me.
Probably one you would include in Civ. But with a bit lower requests.
Just the greatests few leaders of the city-states era.
I'd love to see which leaders you refer as the greatests, because Pre-Macedonian Greece is probably the biggest "hole" in my historical knowledge.

Who built the Great Pyramid of Cholula?
Don't say Xelhua because he is a myth.

According to Wikipedia:

The temple-pyramid complex was built in four stages, starting from the 3rd century BCE through the 9th century CE, and was dedicated to the deity Quetzalcoatl.

So no one architect designed it.

You missed my point. Dachs asked who cared about personality politics, and I said FDR. The guy blatantly and obviously put personality politics ahead of foreign policy considerations on more than one occasion. Particularly over Vichy and De Gaulle.
But apparently he didn't, otherwise Churchill's dick-sucking effort would've made up for the general superfluity of the British.
FWIW, wasn't it a Pentapolis (i.e., 5 city-states together)? However, my point was to pick the fringes. I would have gone with Magna Graecia, but I didn't want to draw Syracuse in because there's one Greek so exceptional there that everyone knows who he is. I could have picked a place on the Black Sea or Massalia if that were better for my point. My only point was that the main Greek city-states are better documented and more often taught, so people think of them more often even when there might be less well-documented figures elsewhere no one will ever think of.
Arsinoe, Berenike, Balagrai, and Barke were effectively irrelevant compared with Kyrene.

But yes, it doesn't really change your point.
No, without macedonia.
About macedonia I can easiely read on wikipedia.
You can more easily read about the non-Maks than about the Maks, actually. Post-Alexander history is one of the things that is apparently a black hole for most people.
Absolution said:
Before Alex, there have been so many polises and city-states and I got lost.
I know about Athens' glory days with the Delian league, and the Spartan Peloponnese league.
But not much.

By great, I mean a leader which is well known, mostly for his positive actions.
He doesn't have to be pure and kind. He can be successful and prominent in many ways. I mean, leaders like Justinian or even Stalin counts for me.
Probably one you would include in Civ. But with a bit lower requests.
Just the greatests few leaders of the city-states era.
I'd love to see which leaders you refer as the greatests, because Pre-Macedonian Greece is probably the biggest "hole" in my historical knowledge.
Iason of Pherai, Epaminondas, Agesilaos II, Hermokrates, Timoleon, Agathokles, Hieron II, Aratos of Sikyon, Archidamos II, Agis II, Kleomenes III, Kimon, Peisistratos, Kypselos, Kleisthenes, and Areios I should be enough of a list of notable rulers - and in Athens' case a guy who wasn't a "ruler" but who ran things more or less as tightly as Perikles did - to get you started. I went more by notability than "greatness" because to hell with that.

EDIT: Disclaimer: most of the Wikipedia articles for those guys suck.

If it was built and re-built over the course of twelve hundred years, then it's unlikely that it can be attributed to any one culture.

But apparently he didn't, otherwise Churchill's dick-sucking effort would've made up for the general superfluity of the British.

Arsinoe, Berenike, Balagrai, and Barke were effectively irrelevant compared with Kyrene.

But yes, it doesn't really change your point.

You can more easily read about the non-Maks than about the Maks, actually. Post-Alexander history is one of the things that is apparently a black hole for most people.

Iason of Pherai, Epaminondas, Agesilaos II, Hermokrates, Timoleon, Agathokles, Hieron II, Aratos of Sikyon, Archidamos II, Agis II, Kleomenes III, Kimon, Peisistratos, Kypselos, Kleisthenes, and Areios I should be enough of a list of notable rulers - and in Athens' case a guy who wasn't a "ruler" but who ran things more or less as tightly as Perikles did - to get you started. I went more by notability than "greatness" because to hell with that.

EDIT: Disclaimer: most of the Wikipedia articles for those guys suck.

Thank you very much!

What was the cause for the collapse of the Roman Empire?

I'm guessing the answer is really complicated, but yesterday I was told that the Roman Empire only existed because of slavery, and when they converted to Christianity, they could no longer keep slaves so the empire collapsed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom