1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

HOF Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Methos, Mar 25, 2007.

1. lymond

lymond Rise Up! Hall of Fame Staff

Peace vassaling is not uncommon, yes. I would not say frequent though. It's not uncommon too that a peace vassal will break free at some point, but depends on their ability to grow or something happens to the lord.

2. Chaosquo

Chaosquo Chieftain

Religious victories are really cheesy, you dont even need to be in the religion of the AP to win if you have good relations with AIs :mischief:

3. lymond

Or you switch to the AP religion the turn of the vote and still have the boosted votes count for you, and the diplo does not affect the vote that turn. However, you must account for the overall % of adjusted vote.

4. Chaosquo

Chaosquo Chieftain

Just to confirm my understanding of QScore, if I want to get a decent domination score, I just need a very fast game (maybe genghis or joao?), no point in playing a big & small map and going for high populations powered by sushi, right?

On another note, if I use a B&S map with tiny islands, will an AI spawn on them?

On yet another note :mischief:, my QM scores are much worse than my EQM ones because a lot of games are Inca/Duel? I dont want to judge anyone, just genuinely curious.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  5. NobleZarkon

NobleZarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

Correct, the latter is typically used to get a good result in the "Score" category.

No they won't.

Yes, hence Inca and Duel are both excluded from EQM - was just too easy to get really quick games with those settings.

6. Chaosquo

Chaosquo Chieftain

Thanks for the quick reply:goodjob:

NobleZarkon likes this.
  7. Chaosquo

Chaosquo Chieftain

More general play questions: I've seen so many recommendations for worker first, but I find myself going warrior first almost all the time. My reasoning is (all on Emperor, so maybe there is a difference in difficulty):
    1) Worker stealing (specially with a hunting civ)
    2) Im going for BW first, so my worker wouldn't have that much to do especially if I don't start with agriculture (after BW there is obviously a lot of chopping to do)
    3) The city usually grows to 2, sometimes even 3, during the warrior build, so the following worker gets out faster and growth is stopped for a shorter time.
    Is that all wrong and I should still go worker first? :crazyeye:

8. lymond

Hey Chaosquo -

As a general rule, worker first is almost always best except for some coastal starts. However, if your plan is to aggressively worker steal or even warrior rush (lower levels) that can be a good play on certain levels. Map dependent, ofc, and you must know that you have Ais in fairly close proximity.

Regardless, unless you start with the needed food techs, food should ALWAYS be your priority. BW is, ofc, usually important, but to make good use of slavery you want that food up asap.

On most Pangaea's, worker stealing approach can be workable, but on most other map types it can be a uncertain.

If you start with a warrior, most certain build a worker first. If Hunting, then it is a decision based on what I described. But keep in mind that it is a gamble. Sometimes you can have bad luck with worker stealing such that the worker does not present himself in an attack position soon enough, or the neighbor gets an early religion and pops second borders fast.

Ha..the painful case of walking my warrior all around an AIs borders looking for that darn worker then coming around to find he'd improved something on the other side in the meantime and scooted to another unreachable spot.

There's also the somewhat odd case of those civs you play with terrible start techs, especially in conjunction with your starting resources. Justy, Monty, Rags, etc, are some that come to mind. In some cases, while you may get up an improvement, you might have some idle worker turns. I might at least taper the worker build by throwing some turns of a warrior in there.

Regardless, the idea of growing to 2 or 3 is in most cases a false presumption...the usual exception being some coastal starts where you go WB first and then whip the worker soon after...but at least you are netting a seafood.

Keep in mind that I usually worker steal, even with Hunting, I just do it with my warrior after my worker. And I usually do it to steal multiple workers and choke the AI.

Sun Tzu Wu likes this.
  9. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Something weird happened. Loaded the game and save, and the interface was missing. Tried Alt + I, but that did nothing. F12 for the Civopedia did nothing. But when I hit Escape, the little menu in the top right corner came up and disappeared. So via that menu I chose the option to go back to the Main Menu. But then an error message popped up.

Don't think it should be a problem for rule breaking purposes as no progress had been made, I simply loaded the game and it didn't work properly. No moves or anything had been done. But I mention it here just in case.
    Spoiler :

10. lymond

Pangaea - Missing interface is usually an indicator of conflicting assets. Not sure about the error but could be related. I find Buffy generally does not conflict with BUG in custom assets, but you might try deleting your current Custom Assets folder and generate a new one by simply loading BTS normally. Then close and load BUFFY and try the save again. (If you have a game in process that might be consider a crash exception so keep the latest save and then save again if you get it working, immediately, and submit those two saves with the submission)

11. PsyMar

PsyMar Chieftain

Help! I'm trying to run the HOF mod on Steam Civ IV, and I'm getting a warning that it can't save changes and my games will not be valid for HOF. What do I do? Is it a problem with my installation location being the D: drive instead of C: (because I'm low on C: drive space)?

EDIT: Tried moving it to C:, tried making everything un-read-only and giving myself and all users permissions for every folder I could find, tried installing the mod different places, it just won't work. Maybe I can make it work under Linux like it used to, I still have the discs...

Further edit: Veni, vidi, maledixi, vici! I have gotten Civ IV working. Still need to get the right patch for BtS but otherwise i think I'm good. (PS. I found it, web search worked wonders.)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  12. samarghata

samarghata Chieftain

What is your solution mate? I have similar problem: it keeps informing me that mod is protected and cannot start.