HOF Questions and Answers Thread

Always as in 100% or virtually always so if you regenerate often enough you will find an upper half start.
Always as in 100%

@Conquistador 63 I use a tactic on oasis maps where I move my settler to the N part of the map. I learned that from someone else long ago. Horses are only found in the North, so if I'm playing a fast Dom or Conquest game, horses are worth losing 5 to 6 turns moving the settler. I usually roll maps until I see lots of desert which means you are near the Middle of the map, then move from there. It can obviously take a few tries to get something one can work with.

Official thank you to @lymond and @Leif to help me be back in these forums and in the Hall of Fame :D .

I have two serious begs/demands, can somebody pleas enlightenIme and help me understand if anything new was discovered in the legendary Incan High-Score Gauntlet? Can somebody please post a summary?

And I found that BUFFY 05 is out, serious thanks for that, great work :D . Is there a manual to know what's new and what was enhanced in BUFFY 05 in contrast to the 04 version?

Seraiel

I think it's largely like the Buffy 004 beta version, which I seem to recall you played. Which means the Espionage victory condition is in, which is also part of the HoF now. The bug about hammers going into a build after building Culture has been removed. I'm sure others can chime in with more details. I forget much myself, as I was gone for a year or maybe 1.5 until I got hooked again some months back.

Some changes to the HoF itself too, in that the vanilla space race isn't needed any more for elite quattromaster (iirc). I'm sure the staff can direct you to the correct threads about these things :)

Official thank you to @lymond and @Leif to help me be back in these forums and in the Hall of Fame :D .

I have two serious begs/demands, can somebody pleas enlightenIme and help me understand if anything new was discovered in the legendary Incan High-Score Gauntlet? Can somebody please post a summary?

And I found that BUFFY 05 is out, serious thanks for that, great work :D . Is there a manual to know what's new and what was enhanced in BUFFY 05 in contrast to the 04 version?

Seraiel
Good to see you back, Seraiel. Did you learn to play chess since last time around?
In the Inca high score game I vaguely remember the strike economy was a thing. @Kaitzilla had a nice write up, not sure where. Edit: or perhaps it was @WastinTime game

I can play Chess a little, I just morely like Civilization IV.

Thanks for reminding me, it'd still be awesome to see a wonder happen and get a release of a true Hall of Fame / GOTM mod that keeps overflowing into :culture: . For the future versions please remember the competetive community of this game and moreover consider something possible in the original version of CIV a valid strategy.

I' d love more cross reference with the Gauntlet and the Hall of Players threads, maybe someone else can help and write a guide on the research made in, was it GM 137? Or 140?

@WastinTime and @Kaitzilla but also all others, your help is needed!

Seraiel.

I can play Chess a little, I just morely like Civilization IV.

Thanks for reminding me, it'd still be awesome to see a wonder happen and get a release of a true Hall of Fame / GOTM mod that keeps overflowing into :culture: . For the future versions please remember the competetive community of this game and moreover consider something possible in the original version of CIV a valid strategy.

I' d love more cross reference with the Gauntlet and the Hall of Players threads, maybe someone else can help and write a guide on the research made in, was it GM 137? Or 140?

@WastinTime and @Kaitzilla but also all others, your help is needed!

Seraiel.
It is good to see you again Seraiel :)

The high score thread was G-Major 144 and it was the first time Strike Economy was used to achieve a goal.
It was used again I think in WastinTime's BC Space game.

Various slight improvements have been made over the last 3 years which has caused talk of a 15 million point game to be possible, but no one has the time/energy to attempt it yet. :sad:

There is talk of farming 5 great generals after beelining Catapults.
Gift 5 scouts to the AI (must be in the AI territory) and attack them with 5 catapults in a war over and over and over to generate 15 Great General Points per turn in Marathon.
Imperial civilizations get +100% Great General Points, and winning a battle inside home territory gives +100% Great General Points too.
With 5 Great Generals early, it might be possible to go on a military rampage in the mid-game on an ideal map. :hmm:

I have been testing it out and there are various difficulties with the idea.
Gifting a city to an AI and then gifting 5 Scouts causes -4 diplo with AI that hate the one who got the city gift.
Also, after 15 turns or so the AI starts deleting the 5 Scouts 1 at a time.
Also, Compass means Scouts can no longer be built.
Also, the city + 5 scouts gift can't be repeated a 2nd time on the same AI without Open Borders which the 1st war makes very difficult.

Also, it was discovered that AI don't delete workers they capture from the player if there is no military unit nearby for the player to capture the worker back.
This can be circumvented by using a Galley and attacking the captured worker + defending unit from the sea.
So Galleon+Worker+Amphibious units can definitely bait AI units to move to the coast cost-effectively.

Last edited:
Welcome back!

For the future versions please remember the competitive community of this game and moreover consider something possible in the original version of CIV a valid strategy.
Buffy 005 is the final version - BTS is a 10+ year old game now and is stable so we have no plans for future versions.

BTW Buffy IS our version for the competitive player!

I need to take a close look at the thread again, I' m especially interested in the peace-vassaling methods as I want to play for the Quattromaster series and I am in need of two 100 points score victories in which I have the free choice of playing on Settler (3rd time I wrote that already, I' ll stop with it now) . I suppose we have higher intelligence, well I have, considering when I' ll be in Heaven, CIV4 is an ongoing Game where new strategies can always be found and where there ARE SGOTM / Hall of Fame strategies for the simpleer game levels. :thumbsup:

I' m re-reading up on GM-144. Would somebody please be so kind and crosspost a link to peace-vassaling? I forgot how to found colonies. Wasn't this just gifting an island-located Settler? No, it wasn't, it required founding the city but in which circumstances was liberating possible again?

TIA, Seraiel.

Last edited:
I' m re-reading up on GM-144. Would somebody please be so kind and crosspost a link to peace-vassaling?
TIA, Seraiel.

This is probably what you are looking for.
Civ Illustrated #1 (Know Your Enemy)
There are a lot of such discussions scattered around the forum. It might be a good idea to incorporate them in a guide or something.

I forgot how to found colonies. Wasn't this just gifting an island-located Settler? No, it wasn't, it required founding the city but in which circumstances was liberating possible again?

You need at least two cities on a landmass (not the one where you cap is), then you just go to cities advisor and press red fist button in the bottom right corner.

This is probably what you are looking for.
Civ Illustrated #1 (Know Your Enemy)
There are a lot of such discussions scattered around the forum. It might be a good idea to incorporate them in a guide or something.

You need at least two cities on a landmass (not the one where you cap is), then you just go to cities advisor and press red fist button in the bottom right corner.

Thank you for the help @Anysense. I remembered about the different land mass but forgot that one needs two cities on it in order to create a Colony.

Would somebody please be so kind and crosspost a link to peace-vassaling?
Hi Seraiel! Welcome back. I also took 1 1/2 years off until the SG started. Got addicted to some of the well-designed BotM's lately and played those, and sorta re-retired again. But still follow along.

Anysense's gave a great link to how to peace vassal anyone, even at annoyed or cautious.
Here's a more general reminder of the Peace Vassal mechanics.

The biggest new thing in high score (other than STRIKE) was raising the Dom Limit to 76%. I'm sure the 15 million thread talks about it.

2 years ago I discovered another game-breaker, duplicating EPs. Our SG team polished it up and worked out all the details (mostly Kaitzilla I think.)
The basic idea is you get the AI to create a colony after you load him up with EPs (usually a great spy). The result is 2 AI. each with the full amt of EPs.
Pretty abusive for espionage victories, and maybe could be used for something else? steal gold? steal tech?

In the last SG, I think the only abusive thing we could come with was the GG farming Kait just mentioned.

I see the game status tells "published" , but my Tiny Normal Time Victory isn' t showing in the Elite-Quattromasters-Tabulator, ist this work in progress?

Kind Regards, Seraiel.

I see the game status tells "published" , but my Tiny Normal Time Victory isn' t showing in the Elite-Quattromasters-Tabulator, ist this work in progress?
No it should all be ok, can you paste a link to the page with the issue so I know I am looking at the right thing.

Top Bottom