HOF Questions and Answers Thread

Hmm it's possible I guess - I'll do an update today but doubt that's it as all the games were published some time ago.
You were right. I see there has been an update today, but it didn't affect this thing on my end at least. The 'old' values are still showing up, from the pictures above.

Yes it is showing. :thumbsup:
Only question is the gauntlet score for that game shown in my EQM status is different from the Gauntlet QScore shown is the game detail page but I am ok with that (maybe it is due to my lack of understanding of how that works),

Yes it is showing. :thumbsup:
Great!

Only question is the gauntlet score for that game shown in my EQM status is different from the Gauntlet QScore shown is the game detail page but I am ok with that (maybe it is due to my lack of understanding of how that works),
It's because the BTS EQM calculation now excludes non-ancient starts whereas they are included for other purposes.

Last edited:
Looking at my Status page for EQM, there are two games for G-Majors, but not the one from that gauntlet (172). If I understand the scoring correctly, I should have got 100 points for this game, but the status page lists:

It wasn't the game where you used the wrong DLL was it??
I've partly figured it out, on my local system I changed the entry to belong to me and it shows on my Gauntlet EQM score. However it is only scoring as 10 which is less than your two entries hence it not showing. Next challenge - find why it is only scoring as 10!!

EDIT: If I change the Gauntlet to your Victory Condition (Space) it scores as a 100 ...

Last edited:
The DLL is just an LMA thing. BUFFY ignores it otherwise. Can't speak for the HOF system somehow being thrown off by it though.

After a decade of struggling with the HoF mod, I've finally gotten it to run without opening with an error message. Am trying to figure out how to efficiently filter through mapfinder for a 1 in a million grind. I want to make sure this wouldn't trip any HoF red flags.

Basically, sift through MF for 100 maps. Copy all those at once from the mapfinder save file to a secondary folder. Open up those maps, to filter it down to ~5 saves that. Rename/resave those into my primary folder. Possibly might even do this filtering multiple times (first to sift through total land count, next to sift through viable resource configurations).

1. Can I make multiple 4000BC saves like in the manner I outlined above?
2. On t0, can I move warrior before making a save?
3. Could I settle before making a save?
4. Is the saving method in mapfinder (pressing *rename* and *move* file) necessary for validation somehow?
5. Is there any way to "save" or default the custom game setup, so I don't have to spend a couple minutes repicking civs/settings after playing a game?
6. My mapfinder/game tends to crap out around ~2000 searches and 1-2 hours. Ideally it would run my entire workday. What map finder search settings work best for this / or any other tips on boosting performance?

I've considered sending in a test submission, but since I'm still figuring out how to best filter through maps, I'm not sure how much it would apply, as there are differences between sifting through mapfinder after the fact and trying to regen a playable map live. Would a test submission go on like my permanent 'record' as it were, and negatively impact me in some way? Would the test submission have to result in a victory? Or be played more than ~10 turns?

1. I often put multiple 4000BC saves in 1 Folder.
2. I often move the Warrior or Settle and then take the 4000BC Autosave if anything good pops up.
5. I always save the default setup.
6. Normally I search for 2 Mining Resources 2 Food Resources.

Your Test submission would, if not valid, show up in red.

Seraiel.

Unless you have something crazy going with your machine, drew, we shoulda been able to straighten you out in 10 minutes not 10 years. :lol: Forget if I've tried to help you before....I've dealt with so many folks.

I can't help you much with MF stuff. @Noble Zarkon can answer most of your question. But Noble and I are certainly willing to work with you to test things out, if that is needed. An incomplete game would be flagged, but as long as we know about it...like via PM...we can take care of it.

Hey, how did ya know about our permanent record? :mischief::lol:

edit: no problem in resaving/renaming start saves

Last edited:
2. But making a new save after moving would be no good? I'd have to dig up the autosave? I'm not sure autosaves are generated when I'm essentially opening a 4000BC save (say the next day), moving to see if it's going to be viable, and then saving it to play a future day.
5. How do you save the default setup? I felt like this was a thing, but saw no buttons for it.
6. What I mostly meant was what delays you have (3 different delays possible in map finder options in-game) and whether you like turn graphics down or something. But on the 2-2 search which I basically follow as well, is having 1 rule group going to be faster for the program than 3 rule groups? (Like if I wanted to not count a specific food resource, so instead of just saying 2 food resources I made multiple groups outlining the specific food resources I want. Is that a clever way of filtering out a percentage of saves I don't want, or have I shot myself in the foot by making map finder do multiple things and therefore run slower and crash earlier?

Usually I simply ask for double gold/gems or gems+gold. Those are not too plentliful, so I don't waste too much time. This way I also don't miss great starts just because 2 corns happened to be in the fog.

I think that what makes MF run slower is Civ's issues with memory usage. Now I've come to think of it, the usual trick with task manager should help. But of course, you can't do it while you are at work, unless you work at home.

Thanks for your interest in Hall of fame and MapFinder, answers in red below.

1. Can I make multiple 4000BC saves like in the manner I outlined above? Yes
2. On t0, can I move warrior before making a save? You can, all you need is a t0 save.
3. Could I settle before making a save? You can, all you need is a t0 save
Note - once you have taken an action you can't go back and replay the game and choose a different action.

4. Is the saving method in mapfinder (pressing *rename* and *move* file) necessary for validation somehow? No, it is there for your convenience only.
5. Is there any way to "save" or default the custom game setup, so I don't have to spend a couple minutes repicking civs/settings after playing a game? Yes, once you have the game set up before running MapFinder manually create a save and name it accordingly e.g. NobleStdRomeTemplate.
6. My mapfinder/game tends to crap out around ~2000 searches and 1-2 hours. Ideally it would run my entire workday. What map finder search settings work best for this / or any other tips on boosting performance? I regularly run MF overnight generating thousands of maps with complex rule sets and have never seen this, modern PCs should be able to handle MF and Civ IV no problem. How much RAM do you have?

>>I'm not sure autosaves are generated when I'm essentially opening a 4000BC save (say the next day), moving to see if it's going to be viable, and then saving it to play a future day. You don't need an autosave in that circumstance as you have the 4000BC save, just make sure you play from your manual save the next time.

>>Basically, sift through MF for 100 maps. Copy all those at once from the mapfinder save file to a secondary folder. Open up those maps, to filter it down to ~5 saves that. Rename/resave those into my primary folder. Possibly might even do this filtering multiple times (first to sift through total land count, next to sift through viable resource configurations). Nothing wrong with doing that, just make sure you don't end up accidently playing from the 4000BC save, make sure you're playing from the latest one. If you are interested in land count one tip is if you look in Windows explorer and filter for the saves yourself you can see which files are bigger or smaller than the others which may be an approximation for what you want.

Wow. It's allowed to move units or even settle a city before saving the game, and then using that as the 4000BC save? I've been under the impression that the starting save had to be totally clean, no moves made at all. So that others can load it and see what we see when starting the game.

Perhaps my memory is fuzzy on this, but I seem to recall reading about games being disallowed due to the warrior having moved, for instance.

What would have been an excellent function, is a way to filter more actively inside MapFinder. We can sort by columns, but something more would have been excellent. Like filter for over X landtiles, or on FPs between X and Y, something like that, with several active filters. Would make things easier when looking for promising starts among several hundred saves ones. Probably not happening now, but a man can dream.

Perhaps my memory is fuzzy on this, but I seem to recall reading about games being disallowed due to the warrior having moved, for instance.
All we need is a Turn 0 save, can be the end of the turn. What you can't do is move the warrior, reload the original save and move him again.

What would have been an excellent function, is a way to filter more actively inside MapFinder.
On my, long, list of things I want to do is to devlop a way to take all the text files Mapfinder saves and load them into a list you can then filter.

PS I'm seriously thinking of starting a Patreon to sponsor me to work one day a week on Civ stuff maybe for 6 months or a year! We need to rewrite the site for current technologies (html5/php8 etc), dig into the scoring system for Gauntlets, various improvements that have been suggested as well as perhaps another version of Buffy with some fixes!!

I've partly figured it out, on my local system I changed the entry to belong to me and it shows on my Gauntlet EQM score. However it is only scoring as 10 which is less than your two entries hence it not showing. Next challenge - find why it is only scoring as 10!!

EDIT: If I change the Gauntlet to your Victory Condition (Space) it scores as a 100 ...
Did you get further on this? Strange one :thinking: Checked out my HoF EQM page, and the old values are still listed there. It's not a big deal for me, but it would be nice to have it correct, since I don't play very many gauntlets and games like that. Or HoF for that matter. Sooo many half-completed games :-|

If you rewrite the site (for php8/html5), what changes would you like to make? Anything to look forward to :)

Perhaps this would be outside your area, since it's technically not the HoF, but one thing I would have loved to see is a personal page for BOTM entries too, a bit similar to for the HoF. So I could see all entries I submitted, details of the game (difficulty, win condition, date, etc) and perhaps ranking, with a link to the full scores. Something like that. But things are probably different over there, since we don't technically need to log in to submit games, so perhaps more difficult to keep track of stuff like this.
(Sorry for the tangent)

Top Bottom