Holidays

And seriously, modern Haloween is different from the celtic Holiday, just like Santa Claus and Xmas Tree are diffrrent from the birth of Jesus or rabbit giving chocolate are different from Jesus Resurrection (I dont even know the name of this one in English ^^').

1. I agree. All of the major holidays are so commercialized that they have little resemblance to their original holidays.

2. Easter. What do you call it in French?

@Kreatur

Now that is interesting. Here is the USA we have Oktoberfest all over the country to celebrate mostly German heritage (or an excuse to drink and eat sausage).

As for Carnival what I think is the most iconic version of the holiday is from Brazil. Theirs has to be the most extravagant version.

Note in the USA we have (most iconiclly in New Orleans), Mardi Gras.

for german culture i would prefer carnival, because the octoberfest is mainly a big party in the city of munich but not a nation wide holiday. during the last few years many cities copy the octoberfest but all in all it isnt representative for the hole country. exept maybe the huge consumption of beer;) . in opposite carnival is more common. mainly in catholic regions because the catholic church take controll over the holliday several hundret years ago to prevent that this festival gets out of hand. today most germans dont care about the church anyway but the holliday still exists. carnival also known as fasenacht ore fasching (varied from town to town ) is very similair to holloween but it takes place at february and it is more colourfull and isnt so dark. people masquerade themselves as clowns ore witches ore cowboys (for example but i think you get it ) and then watching the big carnival parades where the parade members throw candys from there parade floats for the kids and distribute alcohol to teenagers ore adults (remember light alcohol like beer ore wine is allowed from the age of sixteen in germany. the capital cities of carnival are cologne, mayence, wiesbaden, koblenz ore treves, for example.
Carnival is celebrated in VERY many countries so it is hardly typical for Germany (although it is an important event in a lot of catholic cities).
The kind of festival ("Volksfest") of which the Oktoberfest is the largest and most famous version on the other hand can be considered quite typical, although it is more common in Southern Germany (in that variant). While the origins are different, many developed from Kirchweihen (church anniversaries) and nowadays most could be called beer festivals.

why not give more than one culture access to carnival. maybe brassilian, italian ( the famous carnival in venice ) and german for example.

I was thinking of adding a tech called Celebration that requires Conduct that allows for Prehistoric holidays.

Day each festival would be of a specific resource like Insects, Fish, Cow, Horse, Feathers, etc.

They would be national wonders that unlock Promotions like Fishing Festival can unlock Sea hunter I for new units. What are your thoughts on this?

Tech Celebration
Requires Conduct
A festival or gala is an event ordinarily staged by a local community, which centers on and celebrates some unique aspect of that community and the Festival.
Among many religions, a feast is a set of celebrations in honour of God or gods. A feast and a festival are historically interchangeable. However, the term "feast" has also entered common secular parlance as a synonym for any large or elaborate meal. When used as in the meaning of a festival, most often refers to a religious festival rather than a film or art festival.

National Wonders
Name| Decription
Marine Festival | Free Seahunter I , Requires Either Fish, Clams, Lobster, Murex, Whale, Pearls, Shrimp
Earth Festival | Free Sentry Requires Either [mammal map resource]
Fire Festival | Free Shock requires either fine clay, stone, marble or obsidian
Sky Festival |Free Tactics requires Either Parrots, Incense, Indigo, Mushrooms , Tobacco, or Vanilla (hallucinogens, drugs, or parrots)
Harvest Festival |Free Foresty Requires Either [common map based fruits and grains]

Wait shouldn't the mineral based rescues be for the Earth festival?

Perhaps the fire festival should have flammable resources like peat, tar and sulphur. Even some of the oils and stuff. Or even just like be in the vicinity of an Active Volcano!

Interesting, what is the tag to have an Active volcano?

Code:
<PrereqOrFeature>
				<PrereqFeature>
					<FeatureType>FEATURE_VOLCANO</FeatureType>
					<bPrereqFeature>1</bPrereqFeature>
				</PrereqFeature>
			</PrereqFeature>

Correct?

According to the Volcanology Lab it says ...

Code:
			<PrereqOrFeature>
				<PrereqFeature>
					<FeatureType>FEATURE_VOLCANO</FeatureType>
				</PrereqFeature>
				<PrereqFeature>
					<FeatureType>FEATURE_VOLCANO2</FeatureType>
				</PrereqFeature>
			</PrereqOrFeature>

I forget which tag is to which type of volcano.

I'm thrilled to see this thread - I would have loved to come along having modded it myself and presented a finished product, but you might have been waiting a long time as I'd have to find some modding tutorials and probably learn from a load of mistakes first!

I was thinking purely along the lines of small wonders representing particular cultural festivals or traditions that could be built in cities if they had a particular culture building (ie they have a prerequisite of a culture building such as Culture (French) or Culture (Greek)) and preferably be secular or at least not overtly be completely religious (with the exception of Holy Roman, Israeli, and possibly Byzantine) - to be fairly cheap to build and provide a small culture bonus.

My initial thoughts were as follows, I hadn't thought yet about what the tech prerequisites might be:

Aborigine - Dreamtime
American - Independence Day (4th July)
Apache - Sunrise Dance
Arabian -
Assyrian - Kha b-Nisan (which is a secular celebration of the vernal equinox)
Australian - either Australia Day or Anzac Day, the Australian folks here can judge better than I can what would be most appropriate or might have a better suggestion.
Aztec - the Aztecs had a lot of festivals, but I would suggest Panquetzaliztli which was a festival in honour of Huitzilopotchtli, and involved sacrifice of captives and slaves. If you want something a bit less bloodthirsty, then go for Tlaxochimaco which is the "small feast for the dead" and probably a cultural forerunner (amongst other influences) to the Mexican Dia de los Muertos that is celebrated today.
Babylonian - Akitu (a crop sowing festival)
Byzantine -
Carthaginian -
Celtic - Beltane
Cherokee - Bouncing Bush
Chinese - Lantern Festival or Dragon Boat Festival
Dutch - Sinterklaas
Egyptian - Wep-renpet (New Year)
English - May Day (think maypoles and morris dancers, a very old traditional English festival)
Ethiopian - Enkutatash (New Year)
French - Bastille Day
German - Oktoberfest (requires a brewery in the city)
Greek - Dionysia
Hittite - Festival of the Gatehouse (little is known about this but the cuneiform reads "KI.LAM")
Holy Roman - Easter (also requires Christianity as state religion)
Incan - Inti Raymi (festival of the sun)
Iroquois - Greatly Prized Ceremony (midwinter festival)
Japanese - Shogatsu (New Year)
Khmer - Bon Om Thook (Water festival, celebrating the end of the rainy season and the might of the Khmer Empire, has ancient roots and used to involve tests of combat and boat races)
Korean - Dano (also called Surit-nal)
Malinese - There are several distinct Malinese cultural traditions, I suggest the Sigui (which is a Dogon ceremony celebrating the dead between the first ancestor until the time humanity acquired the use of the spoken word - but tbh there is a lot to choose from here!)
Mayan -
Mexican - Dia de los Muertos
Mongolian - Tsagaan Sar (Lunar New Year)
Olmec - unfortunately there is little to go on, but I would go with a Rain spirit theme
Ottoman - Rather than one particular event, I would have this as the Surname-I Hümayun (Imperial Festival Book) - a book recording all the festivals and celebrations such as Imperial weddings, processions, and other events.
Persian - Shab-e Yaldâ - ancient winter solstice celebration
Polynesian - ‘aha‘aina (forerunner to the more recent terminology - Lu'au)
Portuguese - Carnaval (a "Rio" style Carnival)
Roman - Lupercalia or Saturnalia, I'm leaning more towards the Saturnalia (midwinter festival) tbh.
Russian - depends if we want something modern or something traditional -for modern I'd go with Revolution Day, and as much as I like that it may not fit into everyone's game especially if you had Russian culture from an early point in the game, so a more traditional folk holiday such as Troitsa may fit the bill better.
Siamese - Songkran (New Year)
Sioux - Sun Dance Ceremony
Spanish - Sanfermines (The traditional festival which includes the Running of the Bulls as well as many musical and pyrotechnic diversions)
Sumerian - Here we start running into issues as there's a large Babylonian/Sumerian crossover - Akitu is also relevant for Sumerian
Viking - Sigrblot (spring/early summer festival)
Zulu - Umkhosi Womhlanga (Reed Ceremony)

I've taken this list of cultures from v14 so there are a few added in v15 (such as Israeli that was mentioned in a previous post, Brazilian, Maori etc.) that I've not yet given any thought to - although to me Brazil's Rio Carnaval is an obvious choice without having to think too hard! And Channukah for Israeli + Judaism makes sense of course! And you'll note that there are a few blanks where nothing came to mind and a few minutes on google did not provide any immediate inspiration.

I have an interest in this, holidays could be the national wonder of cultures. It could be a game objective to find the resources necessary to have a holiday

Top Bottom