Holidays

Not to go off topic, but if it's possible for :culture: to contribute towards buildings, could it do the same for certain technologies? I've always wanted to have things like Cultural Identity, Philosophy, Democracy, Dada, Surrealism and so forth be researched with :culture:. Provides a good use for it outside of Cultural/Domination games and seems a lot more realistic and natural to boot. That, and if Civ V can do it with civics...

I don't like the idea of individual holidays as part of the game. We have tourism which represents the "annual holidays" workers get. perhaps we can extend it backwards to include "Pilgrimages" which are both duty and perhaps where the idea of a trip away being a holiday comes from.

Then comes the "Gap Year":lol:

What about having like a "festival" unit which could use a golden age like ability to give increasd gold and culture for five turns but decreased production? Not sure if it would be possible but it would be cool to have it cost culture or temporarily buff happiness. Just a few ideas.

What about having like a "festival" unit which could use a golden age like ability to give increasd gold and culture for five turns but decreased production? Not sure if it would be possible but it would be cool to have it cost culture or temporarily buff happiness. Just a few ideas.

City only "golden ages" are also a possibility to be considered. Historical example from Roman Empire - the city the current emperor was from got all sorts of new buildings from the emperor while he reigned.

That's not a bad idea. I was also thinking about adding a "Grand Tournament" at Tournaments techs.

I also recall that back in old RoM/AND that both the Olympics and World's Fair would travel from city to city and give a temp boost to the city for x number of turns before it moved to a new city.

Could we bring something like that back?

I'm thrilled to see this thread - I would have loved to come along having modded it myself and presented a finished product, but you might have been waiting a long time as I'd have to find some modding tutorials and probably learn from a load of mistakes first!

I was thinking purely along the lines of small wonders representing particular cultural festivals or traditions that could be built in cities if they had a particular culture building (ie they have a prerequisite of a culture building such as Culture (French) or Culture (Greek)) and preferably be secular or at least not overtly be completely religious (with the exception of Holy Roman, Israeli, and possibly Byzantine) - to be fairly cheap to build and provide a small culture bonus.

My initial thoughts were as follows, I hadn't thought yet about what the tech prerequisites might be:

Aborigine - Dreamtime
American - Independence Day (4th July)
Apache - Sunrise Dance
Arabian -
Spoiler :
Assyrian - Kha b-Nisan (which is a secular celebration of the vernal equinox)
Australian - either Australia Day or Anzac Day, the Australian folks here can judge better than I can what would be most appropriate or might have a better suggestion.
Aztec - the Aztecs had a lot of festivals, but I would suggest Panquetzaliztli which was a festival in honour of Huitzilopotchtli, and involved sacrifice of captives and slaves. If you want something a bit less bloodthirsty, then go for Tlaxochimaco which is the "small feast for the dead" and probably a cultural forerunner (amongst other influences) to the Mexican Dia de los Muertos that is celebrated today.
Babylonian - Akitu (a crop sowing festival)
Byzantine -
Carthaginian -
Celtic - Beltane
Cherokee - Bouncing Bush
Chinese - Lantern Festival or Dragon Boat Festival
Dutch - Sinterklaas
Egyptian - Wep-renpet (New Year)
English - May Day (think maypoles and morris dancers, a very old traditional English festival)
Ethiopian - Enkutatash (New Year)
French - Bastille Day
German - Oktoberfest (requires a brewery in the city)
Greek - Dionysia
Hittite - Festival of the Gatehouse (little is known about this but the cuneiform reads "KI.LAM")
Holy Roman - Easter (also requires Christianity as state religion)
Incan - Inti Raymi (festival of the sun)
Iroquois - Greatly Prized Ceremony (midwinter festival)
Japanese - Shogatsu (New Year)
Khmer - Bon Om Thook (Water festival, celebrating the end of the rainy season and the might of the Khmer Empire, has ancient roots and used to involve tests of combat and boat races)
Korean - Dano (also called Surit-nal)
Malinese - There are several distinct Malinese cultural traditions, I suggest the Sigui (which is a Dogon ceremony celebrating the dead between the first ancestor until the time humanity acquired the use of the spoken word - but tbh there is a lot to choose from here!)
Mayan -
Mexican - Dia de los Muertos
Mongolian - Tsagaan Sar (Lunar New Year)
Olmec - unfortunately there is little to go on, but I would go with a Rain spirit theme
Ottoman - Rather than one particular event, I would have this as the Surname-I Hümayun (Imperial Festival Book) - a book recording all the festivals and celebrations such as Imperial weddings, processions, and other events.
Persian - Shab-e Yaldâ - ancient winter solstice celebration
Polynesian - ‘aha‘aina (forerunner to the more recent terminology - Lu'au)
Portuguese - Carnaval (a "Rio" style Carnival)
Roman - Lupercalia or Saturnalia, I'm leaning more towards the Saturnalia (midwinter festival) tbh.
Russian - depends if we want something modern or something traditional -for modern I'd go with Revolution Day, and as much as I like that it may not fit into everyone's game especially if you had Russian culture from an early point in the game, so a more traditional folk holiday such as Troitsa may fit the bill better.
Siamese - Songkran (New Year)
Sioux - Sun Dance Ceremony
Spanish - Sanfermines (The traditional festival which includes the Running of the Bulls as well as many musical and pyrotechnic diversions)
Sumerian - Here we start running into issues as there's a large Babylonian/Sumerian crossover - Akitu is also relevant for Sumerian
Viking - Sigrblot (spring/early summer festival)
Zulu - Umkhosi Womhlanga (Reed Ceremony)

I've taken this list of cultures from v14 so there are a few added in v15 (such as Israeli that was mentioned in a previous post, Brazilian, Maori etc.) that I've not yet given any thought to - although to me Brazil's Rio Carnaval is an obvious choice without having to think too hard! And Channukah for Israeli + Judaism makes sense of course! And you'll note that there are a few blanks where nothing came to mind and a few minutes on google did not provide any immediate inspiration.
Spoiler :

Arabian = Ramadan (a month of fasting) or Hajj (annual pilgrimage to Mecca)
Byzantine = Nativity, The Theophany , Season of the Epiphanies
Carthaginian = Cartagineses y Romanos Day
Mayan = Itzamna Festival

For Techs why dont we use the Culture Tech?

for example Portuguese unlock Portuguese Culture with Heraldry. We can link Carnaval [Their Holiday] with Portuguese Culture that is unlocked by Heraldry.

i think maybe the holidays should have special foods attached to them

passover-matzah
rosh hashana- apple in honey

there might be more nut since im jewish i have no idea of christian holidays, sorry :(

If they are autobuild, maybe more difficule recquierment?
And it's not all around the world, it's nearly only in christian anglo-saxon country like USA, Canada or England, so add english or american or canadian (or anstralian?) as requierment can be an idea. For example, in France, we only know Hallowen because of some american cartoon talking about it.

I m dont think there already are this type of requierment, but I will NEVER let my children go outside with too many crime, so, add a maximum Crime can be a nice idea, and can be useful for more holydays idea

Holidays are great! I for one can't wait until we see The Great Pumpkin building. ;)

If they are autobuild, maybe more difficule recquierment?
And it's not all around the world, it's nearly only in christian anglo-saxon country like USA, Canada or England, so add english or american or canadian (or anstralian?) as requierment can be an idea. For example, in France, we only know Hallowen because of some american cartoon talking about it.

I m dont think there already are this type of requierment, but I will NEVER let my children go outside with too many crime, so, add a maximum Crime can be a nice idea, and can be useful for more holydays idea

I thought about putting a Christianity requirement to it but it is also part Celtic folklore. See its part All Hallows (aka All Saints Day) which is why I made the Papacy requirement. And its also Samhain which is a Celtic harvest festival which is why I have Crop Rotation as the other tech requirement. However in more moderns times it has become much more commercialized like the other holidays and thus have little connection to their origins anymore.

Also it only until WAY later that it came to North America and even then it was originally only spread by the Irish immigrants and not the Puritans. its only the 20th century that it has been accepted by everyone no matter their religion. This is why I did not add any religious requirements.

As for around the world ...

The traditions and importance of the Halloween celebration vary significantly among countries that observe it. In Scotland and Ireland, traditional Halloween customs include children dressing up in costume going "guising", holding parties, while other practices in Ireland include lighting bonfires, and having firework displays. Mass transatlantic immigration in the 19th century popularized Halloween in North America, and celebration in the United States and Canada has had a significant impact on how the event is observed in other nations. This larger North American influence, particularly in iconic and commercial elements, has extended to places such as South America, Australia, New Zealand, (most) continental Europe, Japan, and other parts of East Asia.

So I would say that Halloween could possibly be invented by any culture that had a harvest festival. If we are thinking about Alt-Timelines I don't see why a non Celtic or Cristian influence could have a holiday like this. However I could always make it require say Culture (European) if you feel its too Euro-centric.

I can understand if we have say German culture for Octoberfest or Mexican culture for Day of the Dead. But I am not sure if we really need Celtic culture for Halloween do we?

The problem is not with one holiday, but when there will be 12 or 13 holidays. If you can have all too easily, it will be just free culture/happiness in all cities ! sugar (for candy) and pumpjins are not uncommon ressource, in Renaissance Era, I think at least one civ will have both. Later, with Great Farmer and some smart trade, any player can have both

It's why I had in mind adding culture and/or religion, to limit this. You can have English/Irish culture for Haloween, you can have a Japanese culture for Golden Week, but having German for ocktoberfest and indian for Diwali too is hard...

(and seriously, in most continental european country, Haloween is just an american holiday with some pumpkins and kids who go outside to have free candies in a mafia-like way)

(and seriously, in most continental european country, Haloween is just an american holiday with some pumpkins and kids who go outside to have free candies in a mafia-like way)

:lol:

JosEPh

I find that hilarious that you think of it as an "American" holiday only because it has been commercialized. I wonder what the Holiday would be like if there was no America. It would probably have turnips carving like the original Holiday had since pumpkins come from the Americas. And it would probably be limited to the UK.

It would still have Trick or Treating and costumes but I do not know how commercialized it would get. It would definitely have a different feel than it is now.

On a side note if you ever feel that there should not be the Americas just think there would be no Chocolate or Vanilla then. :p Both come from the Americas.

Halloween is just starting to impact over here, mostly due to American (US) cartoons. We used to have the English "Guy Fawkes Night" on the 5th November but that is in the fire season here so the fun bit of the "holiday". fireworks was moved to a cooler and wetter part of the year. Now they have stopped fireworks at home completely. Mayhap 'tis time for a new gunpowder plot:mischief:.

In France, some Corporations (I uses this word because he have a meaning in Civ ^^) try to install this Holidays in 2005-2006, but was a failure.

And I just said i m disagree with the "all around the world" :p And with the fact it's too easy to have it.

And seriously, modern Haloween is different from the celtic Holiday, just like Santa Claus and Xmas Tree are diffrrent from the birth of Jesus or rabbit giving chocolate are different from Jesus Resurrection (I dont even know the name of this one in English ^^').

for german culture i would prefer carnival, because the octoberfest is mainly a big party in the city of munich but not a nation wide holiday. during the last few years many cities copy the octoberfest but all in all it isnt representative for the hole country. exept maybe the huge consumption of beer;) . in opposite carnival is more common. mainly in catholic regions because the catholic church take controll over the holliday several hundret years ago to prevent that this festival gets out of hand. today most germans dont care about the church anyway but the holliday still exists. carnival also known as fasenacht ore fasching (varied from town to town ) is very similair to holloween but it takes place at february and it is more colourfull and isnt so dark. people masquerade themselves as clowns ore witches ore cowboys (for example but i think you get it ) and then watching the big carnival parades where the parade members throw candys from there parade floats for the kids and distribute alcohol to teenagers ore adults (remember light alcohol like beer ore wine is allowed from the age of sixteen in germany. the capital cities of carnival are cologne, mayence, wiesbaden, koblenz ore treves, for example.

Agreed on what Kreatur said.
But the names of the cities are Köln, Mainz, Wiesbaden, Koblenz and Trier.
No matter what they are called in other Countries. ;)

Top Bottom