1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Homeworld+GalCiv="Sins of a Solar Empire"? Possible noteworthy new Space "4xRTS"

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by Arita, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

And what would the other 8 Xs be?

XXX = sexual content

That leaves 5.

2. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

Your logic confuses and infuriates me! :mad:

3. Ranbir

Ranbir Civ junkie

Not in the traditional sense that is given to 4x games. Age of Empires essentially has 4x in it(as do most RTS) Do you call that a 4x? Has it been widely considered that?

RT4X screams epic strategy game. Is this a real time version of Civ? Alpha Centauri? Gal Civ2? No. What I have just experienced is a wide collection of skirmish maps in which I will essentially employ the same strategy. If the 4x was to mean, slow. Then yes, I'm playing a slow-paced RTS.

I just played a mp game and found a rather annoying overlap of two gravity wells.* Made constructing fiddly and just plain difficult to coordinate fleets in their respective wells.

I'll be waiting for a large modpack. (Since I could only cancel my pre-order after 90 days and that was sadly a year or so ago!)

*Not to say the mp created the overlap but just the unfortunate 'chance' of it happening on map generation.

Perhaps my expectations were too high for a game touting RT4x. Perhaps my dreams for IG2+Homeworld like battles was too high.

Sidenote: Why is it nearly every space game ends up with just ships sitting stationary and exchanging blows?

4. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

You still haven't said what besides the 4X a title needs to have to be considered a 4X game in your eyes.

5. Ranbir

Ranbir Civ junkie

I've just made my point. Nearly all RTS game have 4X but no-one refers to them as 4X, ever thought why? This game is no different, in my eyes.

6. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

So, a Real Time game can never be a 4X game in your opinion.

7. Ranbir

Ranbir Civ junkie

I never said that. Europa Universalis, IG2 etc are CK, Victoria, HoI2 etc

Sins primary focus is down to one thing; Extermination. Just like AoE.

Personally, 4X games provide multiple avenues equally. Like Civ. Civ's technological or cultural victory is no less than a military victory. CK prestige and piety can be sought besides conquest as it also in Victoria.

Sins? I fight fight fight. And maybe bully opponents into an alliance to get an extremely cheap alliance victory. (I just got one now in mp, 2v1[team mate abandoned me] so I didn't have much choice.) But this is all fight fight fight. Just like a standard RTS affair. Not the kind of lopsided focus I usually tend to expect in what is traditionally, imo, known as a 4x game. I liken this to SupremeCom than anything else.

Another side note: Given the singleplayer are just skirmy maps, real joy will come in multiplayer. And mods. Can't forget mods.

Another edit! Seems beta progression has listened maybe. I just asked about a culture victory and would ultimately be conquering all the planets. Is it possible to conquer them with culture? Apparently yes now! I will go play now to see how much of an even strategy this is.

8. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

I contend that Empire is the grand-daddy of all 4X games and it only had extermination so that can't be the criteria for being a 4X game (as did a lot of the other early 4X games - Reach for the Stars comes to mind as well as Spaceward Ho!).

Personally, I do not consider the Paradox games to be 4X games as exploration is a non-issue (even for EU as I know where the good stuff is going to be at the start of the game even if my in-game counterparts wouldn't have).

For that matter, playing Civ on a world map isn't really a 4X game by that standard.

9. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

Well I played it and it's really fun! You can have a truly giant galaxy with jump lanes that take a while to cross and the graphics are great too.

I could easily see many mods for this. An EVE Online mod, an Escape Velocity mod and a Freelancer mod are what I thought this would work for.

10. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

I hope it's not too hard on my comp, I'm still sporting a single core processor.

11. Ranbir

Ranbir Civ junkie

Eve, Freelancer? In that case the best choice of mod would be SpaceRangers 2! ;) I do keep babbling that in the chatrooms, we'll see if it ever happens though.

Also thoughts on changing scales of planets and then making them closer to the stars and thus able to have more realistic(which i use loosely) set up of lots of star systems etc. Then wormholes and stuff can scatter between.

12. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Now, there's something I have to agree with you on, Ranbir. Space Rangers 2 is awesome.

13. davhey04

davhey04 Chieftain

This game has me in it's clutches like no game since Civ.

14. damunzy

damunzy recovering former mod Retired Moderator

I have to say that SoaSE did not live up to what I was expecting. After playing it for a while, the last beta and now the final game, I have gone back to playing Space Empires V which is by no means a perfect game but is truly a 4X. I will give the game another chance as I just figured out that there were some serious changes between the final Beta (3 I believe) and the released game - like Fleet Logistics.

Wikipedia has a good entry on SoaSE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sins_of_a_Solar_Empire

15. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

This game has pulled me in more than civ ever has. I have already missed 2 assignments cus I was playing it ( they were small..so no worries).

And its simply amazing in multiplayer. You better make sure you have at least 3 or 4 hours to devote.

16. kuukkeli

kuukkeli King

Just bought this one too. I have only read the manual once and dabbled through the first tutorial. I'm afraid the learning curve will be steep for me as I've pretty much never played RTS before but this looks rather promising.

17. Rhuarc

Rhuarc Chieftain

I also just bought this game and really like it so far. This seems like the first step to an idea that I had awhile back, something kin to a Civ that happens in real time. I realize this doesn't put as much emphasis on the exploration or technology as Civ, it has that feel.

If I build a ship on one of my back planets it could take 10 minutes to have it jump to my front lines. This reminds me much more of the way turns work in Civ. It would feel liek to me the same as if in Civ every "turn" had different things assocaited with it. So every turn may take 5 minutes. Then each unit would have a certain movement rate. Not nbased on tiles per turn, but on tiles per time. In this way you could tell a unit to move across you entire continent and it would do so over the course of your next several "turns"

I know I'm rambling, but I've had this idea rattling around in my brain fora while! LoL...

18. croxis

croxis Chat room op

By the way, three of us (soon to be 4) in the chatroom play this game. If you are up for some casual mp (we usually do co-op vs the AI because none of us are very good :) ) feel free to stop on by!

19. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

The only thing I'm not happy with is that there is no single player campaign or anything. This gives the game a steep learning curve.

Also, the rotational interface is touchy, and I think new players to a fully rotational 3d environment would have trouble.

But all-in-all, I will probably try to play it some more :)

20. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

The 3D environment should be fine as most of the time the player will spend ingame is zoomed out, not rotating around. Civ had a more confusing camera than this. Of course, it does have its own bugs, but they are not show-stoppers.

I think the interface is beautifully made, if I could just remove the empire view on the left side. I dont really use it as Ic an keep track of what is where, and if I do lose it, doesnt take too long to find it.

As for the no campaign thing, Im sure that they will release one at a later date or a fan-made one will become available.