How do you spend your spare time?

this friend of mine has total opposite interests, he is into sports, cars and always is in a relationship

no offense and I'm sure your friend is a great guy and everything, but I sure as hell would prefer to spend my evening with you, even if you didn't talk at all :lol:, because conversations about sports, cars and relationships sound like some form of elaborate torture to me.

it's very difficult finding friends with similiar passions (interest doesn't cut it. interest is the primer, the baby step, the acknowledgement. passion is acting out that interest, getting lost in it.. interest without passion is nothing. it's buying books that you'll never read). if you have some, cherish them. if you don't, throw yourself out there.

Thanks for listening :)

no, thank You for making an interesting thread!

Assuming that cleaning up the house, preparing meals, doing laundry, and other related chores don't count as free time, I might engage in any of the following when I have free time (in no particular order):

- I draw textmode art - find it theraputic
- I watch football/soccer on TV
- I watch Better Call Saul or Mystery of Oak Island
- I play around in Reaper and try to write music
- I have a freelance project on the go I'm working on with a friend, my part's the web dev/coding
- I work on material for my Norway thread (see sig) (and when that one's done, maybe Nepal or Japan?)
- I don't do enough of this - read
- I get a lot of my news on reddit, i.e. soccer news, world news, local news, I read people's relationship problems, legal advice, tech support funnies, so I'm on there often usually posting stupid stuff
- Sometimes I'm on here reading threads and seeing what's up, less frequently writing posts now but I've been busier
- Sometimes I will be doing "next trip" research. Right now I have Vietnam (hoping to fly there in 2 months) in the plans and Kilimanjaro (August 2020)
- I have gotten into meditation due to extreme high blood pressure problems, and use an app to take 5-10 mins every 2nd day at least to do a meditation lesson or longer guided meditation.
- I am the captain of a pub trivia team, my speciality is geography - I look at maps
- I have 680 or so games on steam, when I'm not doing any of the above and I have free time I will probably be playing a game

Last edited:
viet nam is probably one of my favorite vacations ever, I'm sure youll love it. best thing about viet nam, even though the food is amazing, are the vietnamese! :lol: youll see when you get there.

viet nam is probably one of my favorite vacations ever, I'm sure youll love it. best thing about viet nam, even though the food is amazing, are the vietnamese! :lol: youll see when you get there.

I needed a cheap place to go to and found a cheapish flight to Vietnam. I know it will be cheaper than Thailand once I'm there so that's kinda perfect. Plus I love Vietnamese food. Just gotta finalize everything and see if I can score a cheaper flight maybe

anthony bourdain has a small guide to eateries in vietnam and it has some of the best and cheapest restaurants you'll ever find. especially the banh mi place was amazing.

Bún Chả 145 in Ho Chih Minh City is really good and cheap and one of the best eating experiences I had in SE Asia when I went. I also had some really good spicy frog soup from some restaurant I can't remember but I'm sure it's good in most places so I recommend trying some.

I guess travelling should be definitely on someone's list, if you want to become more interesting ;).

being an introvert doesn't make one boring. if you have any shared interes with your friends whatsover, there is a seemingly infinite amount of stuff to talk about. many people just have a hard time talking about specific subjects, or making specific subjects relatable, mostly solitary ones like reading books, watching movies, playing video games and similiar activities. it seems they do not make good material for discussion, but that's just not true, it's more of a defensive action because most of these activities are still (only to some degree) stigmatized as being boring, and therefore many people are afraid to talk about them passionately.

from my experience if you are passionate for literally anything, and have even the slightest degree of eloquency, you can make your passions sound interesting. even if it's something hyperspecific like sub-saharan geopolitics in the late 20th century, or a new farm simulator that just came out. admittedly some things are hard to convey via language, e.g. the feeling you have while reading a really good book, but I think that is mainly due to our constrainments.

tl;dr: talk passionately about what you like, no matter how "weird" or boring it might seem to you (unless it's something actually detestable, but I doubt most of the people here spend their free time torturing or smearing their walls with bodily fluids).

This is totally true, and it pays to try it out. In the lot of stuff I sometimes watch on youtube, there's the recommendation to "tell stories", if you want to be interesting. So if you're asked about anything, don't summarize, tell a story. If you're asked "How was your holiday", don't say "nice, good weather", but pick a day, and tell how the day went. You can do that with basically anything. The guy in the vid gives an example where he basically starts talking about driving down a certain street and how the surroundings look, and it sounds really good, until he goes on that there's absolutely no point to the story he's telling, besides making the point of telling the story. And it works. I also experienced that in RL. A friend of mine can talk about anything. I really only noticed it when he once talked for 15 minutes about a selection of weird samurai helmets which he saw by accident on google, and it was absolutely fascinating.

But I have to say, if you'll tell me with great passion about your last CoD MP session, you'll still be a nerd. Find something better to talk about please ^^.

EDIT: The video in the spoiler (language NSFW, context also not necessarily) is not exactly the one I meant but comes close enough (was maybe by the same person, or by someone from one of the related channels), in case someone cares:
Spoiler :

Last edited:
Bún Chả 145 in Ho Chih Minh City is really good and cheap and one of the best eating experiences I had in SE Asia when I went. I also had some really good spicy frog soup from some restaurant I can't remember but I'm sure it's good in most places so I recommend trying some.

I think I went to the same joint. Never had frog soup, but rather some braised frog leg dish that was out of this world.

I never wanted to try frog but if I come across this place I am totally trying that.

I was classified as an extreme introvert about 10 years ago btw. Have become more social since but I'm totally a big time introvert at heart. Introverts should have more time for hobbies in theory, and more stuff to talk about really

as I've gotten older it's been more and more important for my happiness to fully embrace my natural introversion. Introversion is not bad, it's not unhealthy - it's just a state. Like the color Green - not inherently bad or good, just different from Blue.

I have 2 kids and a 40ish hour per week job. I get home at 11pm, up by 630am almost every day. Very little free time, except during my day off (Mondays) while the kids are at school. Usually that means my "free" time is spent doing things I can't get done other times. Car repairs, laundry, appointments, etc.

I read a bit each day - probably close to 30 to 45 minutes.

When I have bits of downtime during the day there are some websites and topics I usually gravitate towards, plus the usual Facebook crap.

Right now my little side project is planning a quick and dirty trip to somewhere in the 4 Corners area for some real Astrophotography. I need to figure out how to do this cheaply, otherwise the wife won't ever let me do it. And i need to present the idea as thoroughly thought-through as I can. So that keeps me busy putting together car rental notes, flight options, calendar planning, etc.

I spend my spare time playing Civ6.

I haven't bought Civ6 yet.

I'll let you know when I do.

I picked it up on Steam for $25. Without MP PBEM support I feel even $25 was too much. I just don't have time to waste on a SP game, and I doubt I will for another 10 years.

Introverts should have more time for hobbies in theory, and more stuff to talk about really

I believe that many people just use the label "introvert" as an excuse to sit on their butt and watch TV and play games.
You can do plenty of things on your own.
Hiking. Craftsmanship/fixing things/dealing with your car. Painting. Also sports, depending on the type of sport. Bird watching (yeah, well, this might not be that interesting). Astronomy. Gardening. Cooking/brewing your own beer. Knitting (yeah, that too...) or tailoring. Playing an instrument (I know some people who learned playing the guitar on their own). I'm sure there's even more, which doesn't include being (semi-)passive and consuming media.
"Introvert" should not be an excuse.

Being mostly retired I get to pick and choose how I spend most my time. My leisure time is mostly:
  • I spend about 15 hours a week doing ongoing Think Tank and Opportunity Zone work
  • I take leisurely breakfasts when I can and read a couple of newspapers and enjoy my coffee
  • I read
  • Post at CFC
  • I play Path of Exile

I believe that many people just use the label "introvert" as an excuse to sit on their butt and watch TV and play games.
You can do plenty of things on your own.
Hiking. Craftsmanship/fixing things/dealing with your car. Painting. Also sports, depending on the type of sport. Bird watching (yeah, well, this might not be that interesting). Astronomy. Gardening. Cooking/brewing your own beer. Knitting (yeah, that too...) or tailoring. Playing an instrument (I know some people who learned playing the guitar on their own). I'm sure there's even more, which doesn't include being (semi-)passive and consuming media.
"Introvert" should not be an excuse.

I guess as an introvert you need plenty of alone time. I myself used to fall in the trap of just sitting on my butt just screwing around. That's almost an introvert's most comfortable state of being. But yeah, you gotta find a good balance, and other factors come into play like good time management skills, ambition, getting yourself out there, etc. I am still working on a lot of these things myself

I write here an awful lot. I play video games and read a bit but I tend to read in spurts - a whole lot for a few weeks and then nothing for weeks or months outside of the news. I obsessively devour news on my phone any time I am even slightly bored. I watch a lot of TV and movies as well. I'm good about exercising but I probably only go out and do something fun once a month. There's a mall within walking distance so we often go up there for a stroll and window shop for lulz. The one kind of unique thing I do in my spare time is obsess over space stuff, to the point where I put in a good amount of free work for whatever company I'm working at for fun.

Mostly I'm a basic bro.

Being mostly retired I get to pick and choose how I spend most my time. My leisure time is mostly:
  • I spend about 15 hours a week doing ongoing Think Tank and Opportunity Zone work
  • I take leisurely breakfasts when I can and read a couple of newspapers and enjoy my coffee
  • I read
  • Post at CFC
  • I play Path of Exile

almost exactly how I imagined my retirement, just switch PoE for WoW and add a little substance abuse and we have a deal :goodjob: the part about long breakfasts I especially relate to. I savor all my meals, but brekky most of all.

Last edited:
I waste it all.

Granted, I think life itself is an inherently wasteful thing, but what I do is a waste by anyone else's standards.

Read, write, and play video games. I'm wanting to start my on Twitch channel. I've decided I'm going to take it very seriously and I've already bought state of the art equipment (condenser mic, audio interface, video production software). My PC is also powerful. I plan on streaming Star Wars Battlefront 2 (the newer one) but I'm waiting until I have everything leveled up where I want.

Top Bottom