How hard do you want to work?

Work is a means to an end for me so I only want to work as much as I have to to remain financially comfortable.

same. I am passionate about the work I do usually, though I would much prefer to just be able what I want to do freely (cooking and writing) instead of being paid for cooking and writing. it makes me cater to people I might not even like, because I need to cater in order to sell and survive. it sucks. singularity cannot come soon enough.

If they need someone to do the same monotony every day, they can hire a robot. I'd have to shoot myself. I don't know how factory workers do it.

yeah, imagine having to breathe, eat, drink, pee, poo, watch the news, check your mails and sleep every single day. they can hire a robot for that! :lol:

Sign me up. Very soon. Very soon.

If they need someone to do the same monotony every day, they can hire a robot. I'd have to shoot myself. I don't know how factory workers do it.
They often don't have a better option.

It was factory work which got me to get my GED and go back to school though. I worked at a tape factory and one night they made me spend 10 hours standing in a corner taping together boxes for $7.25/hr and I quit after that. I could not dumb myself down enough to do that work anymore. Not that factory workers are dumb but that kind of work makes you shut down your brain just to cope with the monotony.

Even when I was doing construction, it was a new house each time so it was different. I too doubt I could dumb myself down to work the line for any length of time.

Even when I was doing construction, it was a new house each time so it was different. I too doubt I could dumb myself down to work the line for any length of time.
I think I would have been ok if they had given me a machine to use but all I was allowed to do was make boxes and sort rubber gaskets into bins.

I once worked at Goodwill where a lot of people sort and hang clothes all day and it would have been miserable but they figured out I was great with customers so they put me on the register. It turned out to be one of the most fun jobs I ever had.

Working at a boot factory I was always making boots, but everyday it was a different style of boot from fashion boots to rain boots to firemen boots, and the sizes changed many times a day, from toddler to adult men. While working at a brewery, the label may change it was still just a bottle/can zipping by. Likewise at a printing company that printed flyers, it was still just paper. The easiest job was the guy at the brewery who had to set upright the cans that tipped over on the conveyor belt (only happened to 1 in 1000 cans or so, about one a minute). Hardest part would be staying awake. Saw him reading the paper most of the time he was 'working'.
'Light duty' at my job is no fun. Spend 10+hours shredding paper. Fall asleep you can get fired.

Is the question how many hours or how hard do we want to work during those hours?

I'm salaried so the goal every day is to be laser focused and efficient for about 2-3 hours, get as much done as possible and coast the rest of the day/go to meetings.

Ideally to do everything in my personally life I like to do I'd want to only work 3-4 hours a day, ~4 days a week. That would be awesome.

I just want to bang on de drums all day.

Last edited:
Is the question how many hours or how hard do we want to work during those hours?

I'm salaried so the goal every day is to be laser focused and efficient for about 2-3 hours, get as much done as possible and coast the rest of the day/go to meetings.

Ideally to do everything in my personally life I like to do I'd want to only work 3-4 hours a day, ~4 days a week. That would be awesome.
Both questions, x times y, and thanks for answering both ways ;)

I think I would have been ok if they had given me a machine to use but all I was allowed to do was make boxes and sort rubber gaskets into bins.

I once worked at Goodwill where a lot of people sort and hang clothes all day and it would have been miserable but they figured out I was great with customers so they put me on the register. It turned out to be one of the most fun jobs I ever had.

Dang Hobb your aura of positivity is dazzling lool I like that though ;)

I had monotonius jobs before - the trick to it is to do your job on full auto mode, cut yourself off and dream of a better times ;) My current employment in postal services is great because it's neither boring or especially hard , the pay is not the greatest but I'm comfortably off and happy with my job which is more important than money in my book. Not to mention I have time to visit CFC - a quite great benefit :mischief: cherry on top I would say :D I don't know how carreer sharks do it - only work,work,work ...

Creative work has little meaning if your actual aspiration is to create art (no need to create while working too).

Do You imply that You wouldn't want to create art while doing a creative job ?

I had monotonius jobs before - the trick to it is to do your job on full auto mode, cut yourself off and dream of a better times ;) My current employment in postal services is great because it's neither boring or especially hard , the pay is not the greatest but I'm comfortably off and happy with my job which is more important than money in my book. Not to mention I have time to visit CFC - a quite great benefit :mischief: cherry on top I would say :D I don't know how carreer sharks do it - only work,work,work ...

Do You imply that You wouldn't want to create art while doing a creative job ?

It is just problematic to have to do something creative as work, when your creative outlet already exists and is more personal :)

But the more creative I was at work, the more I would rush there in the morning to get to it.
Those days ended long ago. (when I got more management responsibilities and stopped doing as much dev work. )

But the more creative I was at work, the more I would rush there in the morning to get to it.
Those days ended long ago. (when I got more management responsibilities and stopped doing as much dev work. )

When it is too close (creative writing as outlet, and work as translator or similar) it can be a major problem.
I doubt I would have an issue if I was working 4 hours/day at some office correcting forms or stuff. But currently there are no such jobs available.

I actually never did any "menial" or repetitive job, so I may be idolizing that a bit, but to me it looks like most people who work at some desk for hours just have little to do: most of the time they do next to nothing, and then leave: the best thing about working at some office is that you know you have nothing to do after you leave work. Granted, I wouldn't want to have to be making phone-calls and organize stuff. I just want the money, man.

Probably my dream job would be at some bookstore. Again doing nothing other than inform customers where they can find a book, or make up what I thought of it (if it was written after the late 1950s I wouldn't know anyway).

Both questions, x times y, and thanks for answering both ways ;)

My preferred shift is 3x12. Sometimes there is a 'work harder so you can punch out earlier' situation, which is nice at times, but too much of it really hurts the paycheck when paid by the hour.

When I had over a 100 people working under me, it took a lot of effort (not even counting the administrative aspects) and a lot of creativity. Keeping that many people focused and motivated isn't easy. Especially year after year. Now with less than a handful, I can do it in my sleep. (which I probably do)

When it is too close (creative writing as outlet, and work as translator or similar) it can be a major problem.
I doubt I would have an issue if I was working 4 hours/day at some office correcting forms or stuff. But currently there are no such jobs available.

I actually never did any "menial" or repetitive job, so I may be idolizing that a bit, but to me it looks like most people who work at some desk for hours just have little to do: most of the time they do next to nothing, and then leave: the best thing about working at some office is that you know you have nothing to do after you leave work. Granted, I wouldn't want to have to be making phone-calls and organize stuff. I just want the money, man.

Probably my dream job would be at some bookstore. Again doing nothing other than inform customers where they can find a book, or make up what I thought of it (if it was written after the late 1950s I wouldn't know anyway).

Its a badly run office if you have nothing to do most of the time. It also makes for a very boring job. I'd rather have something to do whilst I'm there even if its just filing or data entry.

Its a badly run office if you have nothing to do most of the time. It also makes for a very boring job. I'd rather have something to do whilst I'm there even if its just filing or data entry.

That's my office, lol. The people who are supposed to supervise me are not good at supervising people. I almost never have enough to do to fill up my work day.

But of course, if I'm 15 minutes late I'll get a snippy email.

Top Bottom