How hard do you want to work?

Hygro

soundcloud.com/hygro/
Say you and everyone else are paid fairly to your values of fair. How hard do you want to work. How "on" do you want to be, how many hours do you want to be that level of "on"? How proudly will you stack hours of straight grinding? How much coffee do you want your lifestyle to require? How many all nighters a year? How Often do you wish to be rallying rather than chillin'? How much would you need everyone else to be at your level of exertion?

Say you and everyone else are paid fairly to your values of fair. How hard do you want to work. How "on" do you want to be, how many hours do you want to be that level of "on"? How proudly will you stack hours of straight grinding? How much coffee do you want your lifestyle to require? How many all nighters a year? How Often do you wish to be rallying rather than chillin'? How much would you need everyone else to be at your level of exertion?
When I enjoy my work, at a certain point it stops being work to me. Last year there were multiple weekends where my wife crashed around 11pm or whatever on a Friday/Saturday and I booted up the computer to grind on some analysis that I was enjoying. Space is my profession but it's also my hobby and I love, love, love it. I once gave myself permanent tinnitus in my left ear because I was really grooving on some problem and cranked up the volume on my headphones too loud for too long.

That said, it's impossible to have a job that you are engaged with at that level on a permanent basis. I have to temper expectations and realize that there will always be grind periods that I don't enjoy. Overall, I value a straight 40 hour work week and if there were an option to do less than that I'd probably take it as would most people I think. Overtime is unavoidable in my business (orbital alignments won't wait for anyone!) but it only becomes an issue when it is mandatory and continuous for more than a couple of months.

I want to work as little as possible, my wife wants to work as much as possible. She gets annoyed with me when I turn down overtime, I think she should skip overtime to give her body a rest, since her body gets sore. Unfortunately, her overtime is mandatory, and mine for the the last few months has been as well.
Some at my work will sign up for all the overtime they can get, one guy would work 7 days a week until they told him he couldn't do that anymore. Many others, like me will only work overtime if it's mandatory. My really rough guess is 20% Will take as much as they can get, 20% Will voluntarily pick up a few extra hours, and 60% won't take overtime unless forced.

I like what i do, so i would probably continue as is, 8-10 hours a day, 4 days a week. My issue is more about not liking the paperwork required to do my job....and there is no way to get around that and do my job well

Not very, although that depends on the job.
I work hard when I'm working because otherwise I'd be bored but I'm careful to only work jobs with set hours and not too much likelihood of emergencies requiring extra hours of work.
My current 15-20 hours week with 13 weeks holiday a year (sadly only 4 of them paid) suits me fine.

My current job is kind of Indiana Jones style job, half the time i am a boring bureaucrat, the other half i get in a 4x4 to get lost in the mountains or the woods. It is a 6-7 hours a day 5 days a week job and wouldn't care to get less of the first half and more of the second half, but not more hours overall please, even if earning more money. I like my job but free time is precious.

About 20 hours a week is optional IMO

Amount of all nighters "grinding" desired = 0

Well depends how you define grinding I suppose :D

Work is a means to an end for me so I only want to work as much as I have to to remain financially comfortable.

It's not that I hate my job or anything, I just tend to think about all the stuff I'd rather be doing with my time. For example, I think about how every hour I spend at work is one less hour I get to spend with my wife and kids.

Ideally I would like 4 10 hour days mom to Thursday.

Otherwise depends on the pay rate, if overtime rates are not there and the pay is meh overtime isn't that appealing unless I need more money the following week

32-36 hours for the same pay I'm getting at 40. I'll happily cover overtime when my comrades are out for whatever reason. Like most of this summer. . . lol.

Patient care jobs should not go over 12 hours imo and honestly I believe that strongly enough I think there should probably be laws. Mistakes really start adding up after 8 hours of work. Its statistical fact.

Working? I never really passionate in working, whenever they call me at night, or give me a job that I don't like I just keep reminding myself the salary that I earned and the fact that I don't deserve that amount and this work or service make the salary more deservable for me, if that's make sense.

I want to bring my family out to restaurant, or my kid to play park, I have all the money but no time to do it. So nope, no grinding for me, I just need work to live, but not living for working. I'm really in confusion about this sometime

Say you and everyone else are paid fairly to your values of fair. How hard do you want to work. How "on" do you want to be, how many hours do you want to be that level of "on"?
you what
How proudly will you stack hours of straight grinding?
doubt I've ever met anyone who's been prideful in that he couldn't do something easily

Here one more who does not want to work.
I work because I have to pay food, a house, beer and so on.
And I like what I do, but I like more being in the sofa scratching my parts, or trekking, or being lying in the beach, or ...

Here one more who does not want to work.
I work because I have to pay food, a house, beer and so on.
And I like what I do, but I like more being in the sofa scratching my parts, or trekking, or being lying in the beach, or ...

I don't like what I do, I do a little but it is connected with lot of tears and controversy (firing someone, threatening someone, promoting 1 person -3 other who not get promoted crying, etc), but I must say, I highly grateful I have a work, and I deeply grateful for the huge money that I earned. No complain but yea, still seeking for better alternative.

Last edited:
I think that it depends on the kind of work. Mine is all thinking (seminar creation/translation/articles), so it never really ends (7 days a week) but due to its nature it cannot go over 4 hours/day either, cause I will die.
I would very much like, in the near future, to just have some stable part-time, 4 hour/day work for 5 days/week, so that I will have enough money and time to continue my actual own writing work.

An example of the state of things: I now have to finish a 200-page project for a seminar. That is no easy task. I already wrote almost half of it and it will take me another month to complete. Concurrently doing some translations. Hopefully the seminar will pay serious money (at least a few thousands of euros), but nothing yet is paid.

Ideally I wouldn't work at all, but then again without work there is very little meaning in life. I'm a teacher, so it's pretty hard to calculate how much I work in a week. About 20-27 hours of teaching, and probably another 10-20 hours in grading, school-to-family communication, preparation and administrative stuff that's been crammed upon teacher because of savings.

Ideally I wouldn't work at all, but then again without work there is very little meaning in life. I'm a teacher, so it's pretty hard to calculate how much I work in a week. About 20-27 hours of teaching, and probably another 10-20 hours in grading, school-to-family communication, preparation and administrative stuff that's been crammed upon teacher because of savings.

But you get the whole summer off :)

I work 26 days a month, 45 hour a week, yay!

Top Bottom