• Poor

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Very Poor

Votes: 11 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I change my vote to pathetic.

The moderators are scared of public accountability, and they can get away with whatever they want as they are not policed themselves.

You'll find me at WePlayCiv. :)

They just don't want threads to be derailed with "OMGZ MODERATOR WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT". That rule has grown to cover the slightest mention as well.

You could've taken that particular case in private. And if you didn't like how the moderator reacted to it you could've alerted the admins.

I change my vote to pathetic.

The moderators are scared of public accountability, and they can get away with whatever they want as they are not policed themselves.

You'll find me at WePlayCiv. :)
You're blatant advertising is pathetic.

Besides, out of all people to criticize moderators....

I would like to point out that mods have in the past been disciplined for their behavior, so saying that they "aren't policed" is not true at all.

Also, you'll always have more luck PMing a mod and explaining (calmly) yourself than trying to air it out publicly. It's like in a real relationship, if you talk to the person first, it's much more favorable than if you go in front of the group and air your complaints or disagreements. That just isn't respectful.

I would like to point out that mods have in the past been disciplined for their behavior, so saying that they "aren't policed" is not true at all.

Who would punish a mod:confused:

Not that any need to be AFAIK I'm just asking.

AFAIK, the only situations being referred to there are serious things like a rogue mod/poster harassing somebody, stalking them and going after their home address or whatever happened causing them to lose mod privileges.

In what other posters are talking about, random inconsistency and so on, there of course is not any policing of the mods.

In other words, if there is a thread about "Who likes bacon" garnering various spam responses:

"I like bacon"
"I like Canadian bacon"
"I like cheeseburgers with bacon"

and then a mod shows up giving out infractions unfairly, there is no policing. If a moderator infracts Alice, Bob, and Charlie for "spam" but not Dennis, Eric, and Frank, there is no sort of policing ever done about that.

Ummmm. When was that? Its been my impression that any such discipline is behind closed doors and thus not noticeable to the public.

Also, you'll always have more luck PMing a mod and explaining (calmly) yourself than trying to air it out publicly. It's like in a real relationship, if you talk to the person first, it's much more favorable than if you go in front of the group and air your complaints or disagreements. That just isn't respectful.

Like all things, whether this works or not depends on the mod.

An admin...

I suppose. Its not public though.

AFAIK, the only situations being referred to there are serious things like a rogue mod/poster harassing somebody, stalking them and going after their home address or whatever happened causing them to lose mod privileges.

In what other posters are talking about, random inconsistency and so on, there of course is not any policing of the mods.

In other words, if there is a thread about "Who likes bacon" garnering various spam responses:

"I like bacon"
"I like Canadian bacon"
"I like cheeseburgers with bacon"

and then a mod shows up giving out infractions unfairly, there is no policing. If a moderator infracts Alice, Bob, and Charlie for "spam" but not Dennis, Eric, and Frank, there is no sort of policing ever done about that.

Well, admins can reverse it. Personally, I think this should be made more public but that's just me.
Ummmm. When was that? Its been my impression that any such discipline is behind closed doors and thus not noticeable to the public.

True and True.

the comment I was replying to was "and they can get away with whatever they want as they are not policed themselves."

And again, that is just not true. The ONLY person not policed on this forum is TF, and considering he pays the bills...

As for public instances where mods were disciplined (or at least where the public knew about actions taken), I can think of a couple (AoA, stellar converter, etc...), but they were long ago. That we haven't had such disagreements recently is yet another example of how CFC has grown and improved over the years.

Edit: One note: moderator actions are always going to be subjective. Just like a police officer may let me by when I'm going 10 mph over the speed limit but he may not let another person by. Mods aren't perfect, but if you expect them to be policed for every action they take; however minor, you are either taking CFC WAY too seriously, or you might just like to complain. And if you have a complaint, how difficult is it to PM the mod in question...and if that doesn't work, an admin?

the comment I was replying to was "and they can get away with whatever they want as they are not policed themselves."

And again, that is just not true. The ONLY person not policed on this forum is TF, and considering he pays the bills...

As for public instances where mods were disciplined (or at least where the public knew about actions taken), I can think of a couple (AoA, stellar converter, etc...), but they were long ago. That we haven't had such disagreements recently is yet another example of how CFC has grown and improved over the years.

Edit: One note: moderator actions are always going to be subjective. Just like a police officer may let me by when I'm going 10 mph over the speed limit but he may not let another person by. Mods aren't perfect, but if you expect them to be policed for every action they take; however minor, you are either taking CFC WAY too seriously, or you might just like to complain. And if you have a complaint, how difficult is it to PM the mod in question...and if that doesn't work, an admin?

I agree since in your analogy you both deserved to be pulled over, so one person got grace, another didn't. You were both clearly breaking the rules.

If they each went 1MPH over though, I'd feel differently because its gray, there's no real way to prove you broke the rule, there might have been a mismeasure, exc. If it was 1MPH I'd have an issue with it.

Also, I don't expect a policing for every not so good mod action, mistakes happen. I think they should be overturned but 99.9% of the time that's all it takes. The only time I'd want to see a moderator publically punished is if (this is normal circumstances, not stalking or such nonsense) is if he PURPOSELY infracted someone for personal dislike. If this happened, I'd support that mod being demoted to normal poster and given a vacation from CFC. However, its gonna be rare, if ever, you can prove this so in general if you reverse the bad action that is enough:)

Changed view to average, in retrospect the mods weren't being harsh i was just being a degenerate

I find that offensive. :(

Ditto :(. And now for something completely different...

...would you who rate the mods positively give em a hug? :p

For a few years now, I've occasionally given Padma a scratch behind his soft, floppy Basset Hound ears. :mischief:

Apparently there was a situation where a mod got so out of control that OT had to be closed for awhile to clean up the mess that was left behind as a result of that. I have only seen the evidence after the event, since I was not around at the time. So it has been done, but it is a rare thing, considering that most mods here are reasonable with their application of the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom