How is your Victoria Game going?

I agree with everything here, and I'll say I've united Italy as Two Sicilies before, but it's just asinine how hard they make it. You literally have to research every diplomatic influence tech to even get a change, i.e. divert your entire tech path from whatever you were previously doing to that. That's why I never play as Two Sicilies anymore, even though, in theory, it should be a fun nation to play as.

Vicky is (for better or for worse) really imba. The time frame is also really short, so having to do the previously mentioned tech diversion kills you more than it would in any other Pdox game.

It was not a good choice for an early vanilla game. The worst part of Two Sicilies is if Britain decides to abuse its free acquire state CBs trying to take Sicily since they already have Malta. That's another wrinkle to it.

I'm planning a new USA playthrough (quite easy), but also a Spanish game (a little bit harder), and Greece (I don't want to do the Byzantine decision though, just a stronger modern Greece for a port to HoI3).

Yep, I think I need something easier... I will put a caveat on no Brazil here, since I've already failed as them once, but has anyone got any suggestions?

France is a great starter nation--you start off fairly concentrated, yet you are a great power and have tons of resources. Austria is similar but with more cultures and internal problems to deal with. USA is fun, but to get your free cores to capture Mexican territory you need to follow a particular tech path to do everything right. Britain has scattered possessions, but is otherwise incredibly beefy.

Japan is a good choice for your first unciv -> civ transition. Don't mess with China too early, though, it can result in loads of pain.

Any APD players here that are familiar with Japan? I want to follow the historical Meiji Restoration decision path, but I am unsure on who to start with, and I don't want to play 30 years in the game only to find that I started wrong.

France is a great starter nation--you start off fairly concentrated, yet you are a great power and have tons of resources. Austria is similar but with more cultures and internal problems to deal with. USA is fun, but to get your free cores to capture Mexican territory you need to follow a particular tech path to do everything right. Britain has scattered possessions, but is otherwise incredibly beefy.

France is the best, Belgium is pretty good too, as a starter nation. As Anti said USA is fun, but you'll need to go to war with Mexico to gain cores, so that may not be the best starter nation. :)

Guess I'll start a France game, then. Thanks for the advice, all! :)

France is the best, Belgium is pretty good too, as a starter nation. As Anti said USA is fun, but you'll need to go to war with Mexico to gain cores, so that may not be the best starter nation. :)

(Explaining everything out for new players: )

Not only that, but you have to research two Culture techs, I think, to enable the 'Manifest Destiny' decision. Coupled with the research point techs (which are basically required to keep up), this takes a lot of flexibility away from the American tech tree early in the game. That, and you still have to invest in sphere points in Mexico to prevent the British or French from intervening in your war.

That and the Civil War makes America an interesting nation to play, but I don't recommend it for a first attempt.

Yeah you only need to research one (romanticism) and yeah the civil war is hard, I have only overcome it a few times, even more difficult as the CSA lol

Any APD players here that are familiar with Japan? I want to follow the historical Meiji Restoration decision path, but I am unsure on who to start with, and I don't want to play 30 years in the game only to find that I started wrong.

Play as Satsuma. Although westernise as much as possible, you absolutely hate the Bakufu government, remember to pick the 'defy the Bakufu' option. Be the first to westernise, build as good a relations you can with the other Daimyos and then overrun their more numerous stacks with technology and better thinking.

Wait, did you add any mods?

APD is the mod. ;)

Anyway, I played as the Shogunate up until the death of Komei, and when that event fired I switched to the Satsuma and fired the 'Overthrow the Bakufu' option. On that note, even though I did deliberately hold back the Shogunate's military a bit, even an AI Satsuma can westernize at a much faster pace then a player Shogun. Unfortunately, the AI's have no idea how to use NF. Anyway, I won the Boshin War as the Satsuma in late 1864, and now in mid-1869 I just westernized. I'm about one-month after westernizing in the game right now, ready to establish dominance over East Asia and conquer California.

Playing a mod called Shattered World, pretty cool. The USA, Canada, Mexico and Australia all have their states/provinces independent.

I started out as New York, quickly annexed my neighbors and formed the Free States of America, I'm number 4 power, and number 3 economy :goodjob:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Next I think I'll play a slave state, maybe Virginia, or North Carolina, and try to form the CSA :)

I can't, theyre in my sphere. I forgot this mod didn't have the 'gtfo' events :\.. I'm waiting for Illinois to kick them out of my sphere, which is slowly, but surely, happening.

Top Bottom