[NFP] How satisfied are you with NFP (So far - Updates included)?

Are you satisfied with NFP?

• Yes! I really enjoy every turn with it.

• It's Ok. Could be better, but it's better than getting nothing.

• Not at All! I was expecting something better.

• Mmm, ... I'm undecided yet (please tell us in the Comments why).

Results are only viewable after voting.
Overall, I'm dissatisfied. Most of the civs have been poorly designed, and the level of effort put into the art assets has been dismal compared to previous content. The modes have been hit and miss and/or situational. I would not buy a second season pass without assurances it would be of much higher quality.

Happy but HUGELY let down by Corporation and Monopoly mod. It was a simple thing they could have presented.

...Most of the civs have been poorly designed, and the level of effort put into the art assets has been dismal compared to previous content...
In what way? I haven't played many of the new ones yet (I take a while to play one game then have a break these days), but I like the idea of them in that several break the traditional method of play by having bonuses and maluses that encourage you to change the way you play and think (as opposed to most of the old civs that basically were largely the same but with some background number change to alter your focus).

In what way? I haven't played many of the new ones yet (I take a while to play one game then have a break these days), but I like the idea of them in that several break the traditional method of play by having bonuses and maluses that encourage you to change the way you play and think (as opposed to most of the old civs that basically were largely the same but with some background number change to alter your focus).
Most of them are uninspired and lacking in flavor, and many of them are also significantly overpowered. Some that look good on paper, like Ethiopia, are absolutely bonkers in practice; I won a Culture Victory on a Huge map in the Middle Ages with Ethiopia--I don't consider that fun. So far I've liked the Maya and Vietnam and thought Gaul was okay-ish, but I haven't been fond of the rest.

I highly disagree. Most of the new civs have a GREAT design. Only civ with weak design is a Babylon but even then it is fun if bit OP civ.
We'll have to agree to disagree then. I've found the NFP designs really scraping the bottom of the conceptual barrel, especially compared to the more interesting designs from Gathering Storm. Babylon has replaced Sumeria as my least favorite civ design in the game, though happily I found a mod that completely overhauls the civ to be more interesting and flavorful (Port Limes Babylon Overhaul).

Overall, fairly happy. With every positive, there are some negatives, but I do think it's been good overall.

I like having new monthly content to explore over time - I do feel it has you coming back to try things out again as you need to explore the new changes. Downside? I always get that annoying time like a week before the patch where I don't want to start a new game since I'm waiting for the updates, but I finished my previous game. Also, at times, it can get annoying how the "game rules" change every month, so you have to learn something new.

New civs have been fun overall. I have mostly enjoyed the new civs, and while most are certainly on the stronger half, they've at least given a more or less unique style to them.

On the game modes, they're a good way to refresh the game and let you try a completely different game. Being able to choose which modes you want on or off gives you even more variety beyond the basic civ/map choices. The downside is that they are very strong, very unbalanced, and the AI troubles with some of them generally make the game much easier with them on than otherwise. Also, I don't like how a majority of the modes are still more on the "fantasy" side of things, rather than pieces like the Dramatic Ages which take a current mode and basically alter how it plays out.

Do I like it more than had we simply been given a full expansion pack with all the content at once? I don't know. Maybe? Hard to say, and the big problem with a game of this size, it all gets mixed up together. Like, when I'm playing, I totally forget that something like the Diplomatic Quarter was simply something that did not exist before July. Still seems weird to think about stuff like that...

I'm not a huge fan. I find the some of new civs fairly fun to play but I also feel like the game doesn't really need new leaders at this point.

The modes are the main disappointment to me. They feel quickly thrown together (yes yes, I know that development isn't easy) and sorta thrown into the game with very limited thought and testing. Many good and fun ideas but not really fleshed out or designed to a point where I feel they really "fit" the game. I'm not a fan of the supercharged approach. I just think it all feels kinda cheap. And then you have the bugs and the AI's inability to make use of the mechanics properly.

Corporations seemed good but we'll see how it lands when the bugs are fixed. The barbarians mode seem like it might be fun but... I'm basically going into the game expecting wonkiness given how the AI can act at times.

Most of them are uninspired and lacking in flavor, and many of them are also significantly overpowered. Some that look good on paper, like Ethiopia, are absolutely bonkers in practice; I won a Culture Victory on a Huge map in the Middle Ages with Ethiopia--I don't consider that fun.
huh? I won culture victory with Ethiopia on a future era WITHOUT Corporation & Monopoly mode. In fact, without broken Corporation & monopoly mode I managed to make it into the future era... I don't know what you are on about.
I don't find any of civs overpowered at all when there are OP civs pre-NFP like Russia, Germany and Inca

huh? I won culture victory with Ethiopia on a future era WITHOUT Corporation & Monopoly mode. In fact, without broken Corporation & monopoly mode I managed to make it into the future era... I don't know what you are on about.
Mate, while I agree with you on liking the NFP Civilizations, Gran Colombia and Byzantium exist. Those two are the epitome of OP Domination, lol.

Ahhh... Now I see what you mean.

Still, you can get at least +8 Combat Strength for the Llaneros, and the Hacienda nerfs really don't make that much a difference. They are still S Tier, just not SS Tier.
and that's enough... it isn't like they are only S Teir civs in the game. Would you want every civ to be S Teir? I will admit some civs need to be buffed but NFP civs are NOT that OP and boring.
( I remember people were complaying how Germany, Russia and Inca were OP pre-NFP)

and that's enough... it isn't like they are only S Teir civs in the game. Would you want every civ to be S Teir? I will admit some civs need to be buffed but NFP civs are NOT that OP and boring.
( I remember people were complaying how Germany, Russia and Inca were OP pre-NFP)
Fair. You have a different opinion than I, and I respect that. Agree to disagree.

Overall I've liked the NFP, but it's not perfect.

Sure some of the new civs might be a little OP, but I agree that I don't find any of them boring. Even Gran Colombia whose bonuses are all centered around domination at least has their own unique Great Person, which no other civs have. Babylon's free technologies might seem uninspiring but to me it's the best part of the overall civ.

The game modes have been to me somewhat successful. I might not use all of them but I appreciate them in the game. Looking back I might have preferred Apocalypse and Dramatic Ages to be something else, but oh well.

All the other new content such as the wonders, districts, city-states, great people, and resources have been great too.

Voted undecided. My reasons for voting undecided are: too buggy on release and exploitable. Some game modes were bugged beyond reasonable end user expectations. The AI and its inability to utilize the game modes in a reasonable manner creates an exploitative advantage for the single player. Some mechanics were ill conceived or sloppily implemented creating a situation in which the player is motivated to impose a house rule on themself in order to avoid breaking the mode.

...Corporations weren't even released when Ethiopia was, which is when I played them. So you didn't win as early with them; that doesn't invalidate that Ethiopia is capable of winning a very early Cultural Victory without even trying. I didn't even make it to Flight for my Rock-hewn Churches to kick in. Others reported similar experiences with Ethiopia.

I don't find any of civs overpowered at all when there are OP civs pre-NFP like Russia, Germany and Inca
The difference: Russia and Inca are actually fun to play. Also the Inca are powerful, but not remotely NFP-level powerful.

I guess I can't really give my opinion on how OP Civilizations are when I have the Civilizations Expanded mod always on. :p

I guess I can't really give my opinion on how OP Civilizations are when I have the Civilizations Expanded mod always on. :p
I like to nickname it the OPrah mod.
"You get a crazy ability, you get a crazy ability, everyone gets a crazy ability!" :mischief:

Top Bottom