How to explain Rep vs Dem to an 8 yr old?

Democrats believe the purpose of government is to help people.
Republicans believe the purpose of government is to give people the tools to help themselves.

A'AbarachAmadan said:
On this one I'd say it is generally true, for example gay-marriage. However, there are some notable exceptions, such as anti-Christian movements being led by the ACLU.
And then there's a much bigger exception: owning and operating firearms.

If an 8 year old can't reach the top shelf to get his cereal and phones someone for advice, he'll get the following response.

From a Democrat:
"Why don't you just look for a tall person to get it for you"

From A Republican:
"Buck up little champ. I used to be short too, but not anymore. Now I'm 6'7" and I can reach pretty much any shelf. Now some people may say that I am what I am now only because of my parents. But don't you believe them, I wasn't born 6'7" you know. I got this way because I work hard and eat right. Now why don't you run along, eat some cereal and do some push ups, and in no time, you'll be able to reach that shelf."

Republicans want to kill everything that moves

Democrats want to save people from the crazy Republicans ;)

Here's an idea. Give your kid a candybar. Tell him that if he does 5 jumping jacks he can have the candy. Then, when he does the jumping jacks, give him a choice:

a.) keep the candy that he earned to himself.
b.) give away all but one bite to people who didn't work for it because nobody could ever need that much candy to enjoy the taste.

Please note that I'm only saying that to continue the tradition of this thread.

CurtSibling said:
Daddy Curt explains to his hypothetical brood:

"Kid, there are two large groups of stupid and greedy old men
trying to blackmail the whole country into believing a load of codswallop"

:)

kittenOFchaos said:
Easy and my tribute to Bill Hicks:

Have a puppet on each hand, one of a Republican, the other a Democrat...and point out that the same person is controlling both puppets ;) GO TO SLEEP AMERICAN, YOUR GOVERNMENT IS IN CONTROL

RAR!

:D

FrantzX said:
Democrats believe the purpose of government is to help people.
Republicans believe the purpose of government is to give people the tools to help themselves.

I like these three the best. The first two I would say are the most pragmatic and realistic. The last one will give the kids the best conceptual knowledge of the overall platform (on economics at least)

When you grow up, the Democrats and Republicans will each want you to join their gangs. These gangs offer you nothing but trouble, and demand your money, your vote and for you to be silly and rude to the other gang.

I suggest that you ignore them and choose a football or a baseball team to support instead. That is much more honest and if your team does well can be great fun.

Keirador said:
You must be a very clever person indeed, aren't you? What a savvy, high-brow way to make such a sophisticated point.

kiss me

10 kaka

My suggestion is that you make an analogy with a RPG game. Say that Reps are ogres, Dems are trolls, and you and your kid belong to the human small command of warriors that is trying to survive through their war.

Regards :).

FredLC said:
My suggestion is that you make an analogy with a RPG game. Say that Reps are ogres, Dems are trolls, and you and your kid belong to the human small command of warriors that is trying to survive through their war.

Regards :).

that would be an awesome idea!

but then too many people will be talking about politics until the entire nation is all about politics. or some psychos could kill other party canadites saying that the game said that the reps were at war with dems or the other way around. :lol:

A'AbarachAmadan said:
Well, I had a conversation like this with my 18 yr old daughter, who was sure she was a Democrat.

Me: So what did you get on your report card?
Daughter: I got a 3.8 (on a 4.0 scale).
Me: How did your friend 'Carol' do? (name changed)
Daughter: She got a 2.2.
Me: Well, why do you give her 0.8 of it and you both can have a 3.0?
Daughter: That's stupid! I work after school, do cheerleading and studied hard for my grades!
Me: Well, didn't she work hard too?
Daughter: No, she parties all the time and skips school.
Me: Well, don't you think your equal and friends and you should give still give it to her.
Daughter: No way! Dad, why are you saying such stupid things!
Me: Dear, this is just the difference between a Republican and a Democrat.
Daughter: (Silence, Lightbulb, newest member of the Republican party.)
Kids'll believe anything.

How to explain Rep vs Dem to an 8 yr old?

Don't- let them live in peace.

.....for now....

Monk is on target!

Let the child play with their toys and enjoy life as long as they can! Don't corrupt them early with politics by a backward reasoning of inevitability.

How about saying that there are two groups of adults who have different ideas about how the country should be run; each has good points and bad points; and when you get older you'll be able to decide which you support, or that you want to stay neutral.

Trying to explain the actual platform of each party to someone of that age is pretty much impossible; it's even hard for adults to comprehend all of it.

Of course, you could just tell them which ever one you believe is wrong is bad and the one you support is good, which I'm sure is much more productive.

Or you could be cynical and nihlistic and say it all doesn't matter and nobody up there cares about you. That'll go a long way toward giving any kid a fantastic outlook on life. :rolleyes:

Mark1031 said:
I went with Republicains don;t like to share, Dems do. My kids still decided they were Dems even though they often act like Repubs. :lol:

easy, one is conservative, and likes things the way thay are and likes to use old ways that have been proven to fix new, or old problems that come up.
dem. like to change as things change around and to try to ways that may or may not work, but my be beater then the old ways to solve new or old problems
thats a realy fast breif summer maby an 8 yer old can understand

@ Vietcong:

Not a bad summary actually, although that's the difference between conservatives and liberals in the classical sense-- which isn't really the same thing as republicans and democrats.

I'm impressed by your spelling this time, though. :goodjob:

stratego said:
If an 8 year old can't reach the top shelf to get his cereal and phones someone for advice, he'll get the following response.

From a Democrat:
"Why don't you just look for a tall person to get it for you"

From A Republican:
"Buck up little champ. I used to be short too, but not anymore. Now I'm 6'7" and I can reach pretty much any shelf. Now some people may say that I am what I am now only because of my parents. But don't you believe them, I wasn't born 6'7" you know. I got this way because I work hard and eat right. Now why don't you run along, eat some cereal and do some push ups, and in no time, you'll be able to reach that shelf."
hahahahahahahah lol funny stuff

GEChallenger said:
@ Vietcong:

Not a bad summary actually, although that's the difference between conservatives and liberals in the classical sense-- which isn't really the same thing as republicans and democrats.

I'm impressed by your spelling this time, though. :goodjob:

aw, thank u. and no spell cheacker eather :p

alot of u who give summeries are doing inproper ones that make one side look bad and the other good, witch u sholdnt do becus thay both have good and bad points to them. personly i think that change and progress is an ongoing and never ending thing, so we must allways be willing to change to the times and move on.
i tried my beast to keep my summer equal and not bash the rep. or dem.
any one easl, i whold advise to do the same rather then brainwash a kid into dislikeing the other side, let them decied what them selfs with facs, insted of lies of hate..

Republicans believe that you are entitled to all the toys that you can earn by personal effort. The Democrats believe that if you earn more than the average share of toys they have the right to take 30-70% of your toys (depending on your toy bracket) and give them to the snot nosed brat down the street that has less and has likely put forth less effort.

That should make it clear to them.

Top Bottom