HR Tech Tree Plausibility

- decided to add a Railroad tech after all because the improvement should require Metallurgy too

:goodjob: As a distribution network, railroads are also a nice additional prereq for some things if you like, such as Consumerism. Ironically I think the best term would be "Logistics"

- new Psychology tech, I think this can refer to influencing the population in a general sense, including Propaganda and Advertising, and also include Surveillance. The links make sense at least in my opinion

Was my idea while reading the thread before seeing this post.

:goodjob: As a distribution network, railroads are also a nice additional prereq for some things if you like, such as Consumerism. Ironically I think the best term would be "Logistics"
One of the reasons i wanted to include it, I felt the economic and social implications were not properly represented. I tried to put Railroad and Refrigeration next to each other (both played a big role in the distribution of consumer goods) but it didn't work out.

Was my idea while reading the thread before seeing this post.
My only problem with it is that it's a bit anachronistic for the column but I think it works.

- new Psychology tech, I think this can refer to influencing the population in a general sense, including Propaganda and Advertising, and also include Surveillance. The links make sense at least in my opinion.

Psychology seems a bit vague, maybe "Psychological manipulation" would be more fitting. The term "Psychology" encompasses phenomena that are not in the scope of this tech like e.g. psychological illnesses.

I'd rather be broad in the description of the tech, otherwise this raises the question when the other facets of the idea would be discovered. Also it makes it easier to link the tech to others in the tree.

Any ideas for button art for Psychology and Activism?

Some buttons I found in other mods.

Could you please add a link to the spreadsheet in the OP? That makes it a lot easier to find.

Spoiler :
Can you tell me where to find the icon on the top left of the Social Sciences block? You said that it's from RI but I cannot find out where exactly it's used.

Any ideas for button art for Psychology and Activism?

Can you tell me where to find the icon on the top left of the Social Sciences block? You said that it's from RI but I cannot find out where exactly it's used.

It seems I got it from an older version of RI. Or it is in the FPK, but not used by a tech. It's scripture.dds in the interface/buttons/techtree folder.

I can upload it here if you want.

Oh great, thanks.

I made some new buttons for Activism and Psychology (I won't need to download RI or another mod for the sole purpose of custom assets for now), maybe this is okay?

Spoiler :

Also, I really do think Exploration needs to require Gunpowder. Or maybe Firearms. A major oddity in the old tech tree was seeing "medieval" New World conquerors—no gunpowder units. Historically the gunpowder technology the colonizers brought with them were a major factor in their conquest of the New World.

A short rant about siegecraft:
I believe siegecraft to be rather pointless. I'm not sure what it is meant to represent. Additionally, what should siegecraft unlock? In HR, it unlocks Siege Towers, which are not interluded in the mod, and trebuchets. Trebuchets would fit perfectly at machinery, which would also unlock it earlier so trebuchets are not obsoleted as fast by bombards appearing at gunpowder. In HR, this was less of a problem as gunpowder came later in the tech tree. Should there be any buildings or bonuses available at siegecraft, the tech might make sense, but I can't think of anything fitting at the moment. (Except for maybe a siege-workshop-building). Unfortunately, I have not come up with a better tech to put there and should I misunderstand the concept behind the tech, please enlighten me.

No that's right, although I think that it's equally difficult to find a good prereq for Gunpowder.

The only thing I could come up with is switch the columns of Siegecraft and Warrior Code (it also makes sense for Knights to come later). To give Siegecraft more weight, we could also move Castles there, and maybe give it a more generalist name (Fortification?).

In my imagination siegecraft represents a series of military paradigms.

It could (also) be represented in the game by (unlocking) promotions.

Switching Siegecraft and Warrior Code sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure whether unlocking Knights at Feudalism would make more sense. Anyways, if instead Longbowmen would be moved to Warrior Code, having them appear in the High Middle Ages would make sense, too. There is one problem with this idea though, as Siegecraft could no longer have Machinery as a prerequisite. On the other hand, Warrior Code could gain Feudalism as a prerequisite.

Additionally, I'd like to propose to have Chemistry and Geology switch places. This alternate setup would make as much sense ass the current one, and it would allow Grenadiers to appear with Chemistry. The current position of Chemistry is to late for Grenadiers, as Grenadiers appeared around 1700.

- new Psychology tech, I think this can refer to influencing the population in a general sense, including Propaganda and Advertising, and also include Surveillance. The links make sense at least in my opinion

Sounds like Social Psychology to me - that branch of psychology developed in its modern form in the early 20th century and thus is contemporaneous with the time period for the column. General psychology is more aligned with social sciences imo.

The button could be a picture of an orator or example of advertising at work. Something like this maybe, although that's a bit more oriented towards television:

Switching Siegecraft and Warrior Code sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure whether unlocking Knights at Feudalism would make more sense. Anyways, if instead Longbowmen would be moved to Warrior Code, having them appear in the High Middle Ages would make sense, too. There is one problem with this idea though, as Siegecraft could no longer have Machinery as a prerequisite. On the other hand, Warrior Code could gain Feudalism as a prerequisite.
I thought about this a little more, and came up with an alternate solution ("Fourth Iteration" in the sheet):
- removed Warrior Code (or rather, merged it into Feudalism), i.e. Feudalism enables Knights now
- new Fortification tech, requires Steel and Architecture, enables Castles and Trebuchets, Trebuchets also require Machinery
- Architecture could also enable Cathedrals if the tech needs more value, that would take some weight off Theology
- new tech in the previous Siegecraft slot, tentatively called Logistics. This represents the transition to professional warfare during the MA. Would enable Longbowmen, potentially also Pikemen. Civil Service as indirect prereq
- if we go by this name, the current Logistics could be renamed Combined Arms

With this we also get more reasonable connections in the upper part of the medieval tech tree in general.

Another thought: maybe Writing and Tradition should switch places? I'm not completely comfortable with delaying Libraries until the Classical era.

Tech prereqs seem to work out either way.

Another thought: maybe Writing and Tradition should switch places? I'm not completely comfortable with delaying Libraries until the Classical era.

Tech prereqs seem to work out either way.

Makes some sense to me. However, it should be considered that Judaism be reassigned to another founding tech, since moving it along with Tradition to the Classical Era would be too late.

An attempt to resolve the current situation with the Activism tech being useless:
- Activism removed
- Globalisation renamed Globalism
- Globalism takes old Activism slot
- new Power Projection tech in the current Tourism slot: enables Pentagon and Carriers and/or Marines, enabled by Psychology and Macroeconomics (Mobility as indirect prereq?)
- Tourism moves one column to the right, having Television and Globalism as prereq (Aviation indirect? Otherwise Aviation for Globalism)
- Telecommunications now Computers + Tourism
- Ecology leads to Renewable Energy and Genetics
- no direct connections from Power Projection, maybe indirect to Satellites?

A couple of things I had been thinking about, partially in response to the latest changes in History Rewritten:
- remove Standing Army
- Feudalism + Fortification leads to Charter
- Urbanism replaced with Logistics
- Logistics replaced with Combined Arms
- remove Literature, moved Education in its place
- move Humanities to the place of Education
- new Academia tech taking the place of Humanities
- rename Tradition to Literature
- rename Astronomy to Geography, adding a link to Hydraulics
- rename Social Sciences to Sociology

Top Bottom