Hulfgar's Modpack Extended Edition "Rise of the Machines"

Personally, when i launch a new game it's very long. More than 10min but after a while it starts.
When i load a savegame it's quicker (about 5min).
Your mod is awesome hulfgar anyway :)

The mod can take alittle long to load but it is quite a unique and complex mod
so there will be some trade off I guess with load times:) best complete mod around imo

Thank you for your reply, Hulfgar. The problem is that i upgraded my pc with an ssd and erased yesterday everything. I had IGE, smartai v2 as mods enabled. Problem is that after i "solved" it, the problem occured again and i gave up on finding the cause, because of the long loading time(around 10 mins - i haven't installed yet on ssd to see if its' improved). I'm pretty sure it's not about diplomacy and i don't know if other civs are trying to build academies or spend the great scientist for science and conflicting with... something else(terrain, science tree etc). I'm sorry i can't help you with something concrete but i want you to know something: no matter how many times i will have ctd's i'm not giving up yor mod.

hi porcelino
Curious whats the size of your SSD?
and
is it dedicated or hybrid?:)

hi porcelino
Curious whats the size of your SSD?
and
is it dedicated or hybrid?:)

Hi Onmy6, its' a 512gb ssd(Samsung 850Pro). Installed the game again and opted for your full package of Hulfgar's Modpack Complete Edition. Previously i had the 3 files separate(latest releases tho) of HulfgarModpack Extended Edition version 7. So far so good ( i only played this morning for about 90 turns with the same mods: ige, smartai v2), lets' hope the bugs are gone. And the loading time is 5-6 minutes compared with 10-12 before.

Ferris Bueller thanks for your feedback and ideas.
You made some interesting suggestions, and I will think about them, I'm not sure that I can code this but I like the challenge!

Porcelino the long loading times may be related to a file : I had this before, it was a SQL file that I had to rewrite in XML, I never understood why.
I don't know if it's the same kind of issue this time but I'm working on it, it's just awful long to try to find the (perhaps) "bad" file.

Hi Onmy6, its' a 512gb ssd(Samsung 850Pro). Installed the game again and opted for your full package of Hulfgar's Modpack Complete Edition. Previously i had the 3 files separate(latest releases tho) of HulfgarModpack Extended Edition version 7. So far so good ( i only played this morning for about 90 turns with the same mods: ige, smartai v2), lets' hope the bugs are gone. And the loading time is 5-6 minutes compared with 10-12 before.

wow that's a nice size SSD should be super quick comparatively and evidently it is, nice one :thumbsup:

Hi all, hi hulfgar.

Small reflexion for a balance purpose concerning the ammunition factory. I find it a bit long to build nearly as a little wonder when you unlock it. In addition, 1 factory is generally enough for your army, especially if you are friend with city states that will provide you also some ammunitions.
Perhaps it would be good to reduce the cost of the ammunition factory by half, also reducing the amount of munition to 10 instead of 15.

Concerning the idea of Ferris, i am not sure that the current AI could manage such a change.

Otherwise i hope being able to test your industrial era changes that seem awsome, i won my 3 last games before reaching it (Maybe the battering ram is too powerfull because it is really easier to conquier ennemy cities during early game than before and tech progression is also longer)

That's the best mode i tried for civ so far, so big thanks for you.

Hello Skippyciv,

I assume that the idea you're referring to is the ammunition production. I don't think the quantity vs quality weapons would be unmanageable as long as it is balanced. Maybe you are right, but the AI does consistently build ammunition factories and provide its units with the strategic resources they need as it is. I would also like to add that the goal that I am advocating for is some way to force civs to incur significant costs when going to war with equal or greater civs. It is very unrealistic that one can get away with running a peacetime economy under such circumstances. That said, I am completely open to other ways of doing this. Some mods as I understand it have a manpower mechanic, etc. The other idea I had in this area was simply to make units of all kinds much easier to kill, so that one would constantly be forced to produce replacements.

Hello Skippyciv,

I assume that the idea you're referring to is the ammunition production. I don't think the quantity vs quality weapons would be unmanageable as long as it is balanced. Maybe you are right, but the AI does consistently build ammunition factories and provide its units with the strategic resources they need as it is. I would also like to add that the goal that I am advocating for is some way to force civs to incur significant costs when going to war with equal or greater civs. It is very unrealistic that one can get away with running a peacetime economy under such circumstances. That said, I am completely open to other ways of doing this. Some mods as I understand it have a manpower mechanic, etc. The other idea I had in this area was simply to make units of all kinds much easier to kill, so that one would constantly be forced to produce replacements.

Yes Ferris I was referring to ammnition production. The second point is that for me, even if it is not realistic, the game mechanics should reward the warriors instead of penalize them. Otherwise nobody would fight and the game will be pretty boring ;)

Nevertheless, I like your idea of making units easier to kill because it's true that the casualties are very low during war and good players can easily continuing war against several nations without raising up the city war effort.

For your idea of quality, i find it interesting but i think that 3 type for each units will make the game heavy. The solution of special optional promotions for unit is preferable. We can even imagine some special project to build in the cities that will unlock promotions for a certain type of units (like an engineering improvement of weapons ...)

Hulfgar I think it could be good to give a little boost to science as you did for culture. I don't know if other people share my experience but it is very long to reach the industrial area now :)

I understand what you're saying. War should not be made so costly that no one is willing to fight. What I'm hoping is that some kind of middle ground can be reached, where fighting consumes a large share of a civ's economy as in real life, but not so much that it is almost never worth it. After all, in real life, with real life costs, countries used to go to war all the time before nuclear weapons. I absolutely agree that if it is overdone, the game would be boring.

About the high quality weapons, the 3 type for each unit idea was just if the other would be difficult or impossible to code. Actually, I had a few other variants of this idea. First, the high-quality unit does not get any extra promotions on finishing production other than what it would get through barracks, armory, etc. Rather, all promotions are made correspondingly greater, so for example the shock promotions would each grant +20 or 25 strength in open terrain rather than 15. Alternatively, or additionally, the high quality unit would be given a special promotion that allows it to earn xp faster. This second would be particularly important if combined with the making units easier to kill idea. I also like you're proposal of a special project, it’s just that there needs to be some way of making the units themselves costlier to produce, otherwise they would be OP.

Do you have a Terminator? I just had to ask.

I got error loading font textures when loading game with this mod. What is the problem? How can i fix it?

Hello Versil,

first guess is that a dds file is missing. Can you send me a screenshot of the error and the log files?
and do you use other mods with mine ?

Hello Hulfgar,
sure, here is screenshot of mods and screenshot of the error, logs too.

Attachments

• error_msg.png
    error_msg.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 143
  • mods.jpg
    mods.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 174
  • Logs.zip
    119.9 KB · Views: 148
Dunno what happend, i just reinstall the game and try to launch - same error. Then I tried launch w/o Gods and Kings DLC (delete GodsandKings_XXXXXXXX.xml files from ...\MODS\Hulfgars Modpack Extended 7 (v 7)\DLCs\). And it works! After this I launch again with Gods and Kings DLC and its work correctly.

Anyway i have another question, why this 2 tech is locked?

Attachments

• techtree.jpg
    techtree.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 202
yes a strange bug that you had.

please keep me informed if it comes back.

Anyway i have another question, why this 2 tech is locked?

The 1st. tech is a "dummy" tech. At first it was here to make some units unbuildable, in the extended edition I use it as a prereq for Synthetic Intelligence.
Synthetic Intelligence is not a tech that you can research, it is granted when Skynet develop it.
Giving it a disabled tech as prereq makes it unresearchable.

Self-Aware Computer is disabled for the same reason : this tech is granted when Skynet becomes self-aware, should you reset Skynet then this tech is lost, until Skynet becomes self-aware again.

Thanks Hulfgar, I'm really enjoying this mod so far. I got about 100 turns in and I got an error. I left Gods and Kings on. :( I'm trying again now and want to avoid any glitches so I have one question..

so my dumb question is what do you mean by ""Ingame Editor" (make sure IGE is loaded FIRST)"

Does that mean chose IGE first on my mods list? It's the only other mod I am using besides the required ones. Thanks a lot of working on this, I'm excited play through it all.

hello MecaBlight,

yes you select IGE first and then you select my mod.

enjoy the game and if you have any question or remark just come here :)

I got to about 250 turns before I noticed I couldn't scroll my tech tree anymore. I haven't been able to find a quick fix for it.

Besides that the mod has been amazing so far. Is there a picture of the complete tech tree I can see somewhere on the forums maybe?

Top Bottom