HUMANKIND a Civ VI killer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 19 pages of this thread (although after page 10 I scrolled quite fast), I'm still totally undecided whether to pre-buy HK or not. :lol:
I've learned the hard way - don't pre buy, even AAA games. They are not immune to just not living up to the hype. I pre bought Mario Tennis Aces, and it wouldn't even let you play a set, never mind a match.

My advice is to let it release and if there us no scandal, buy it then.

I've learned the hard way - don't pre buy, even AAA games. They are not immune to just not living up to the hype. I pre bought Mario Tennis Aces, and it wouldn't even let you play a set, never mind a match.

Precisely my advice. :D

Reactions: PiR
After 19 pages of this thread (although after page 10 I scrolled quite fast), I'm still totally undecided whether to pre-buy HK or not. :lol:
I preordered simply because I've loved every game Amplitude has done, but if you don't have the history with the company I don't think this thread of all threads will be the one to convince you. :p

I've learned the hard way - don't pre buy, even AAA games. They are not immune to just not living up to the hype.
Well, Humankind isn't a AAA game by a longshot, but I agree on the advice not to pre-buy AAA games. They will always be disappointing. :p In my experience games from indie and small-to-mid-sized studios may be anywhere from great to horrible, while AAA games are more or less guaranteed to be middling because middling is safe and middling with good marketing sells.

After I played (overplayed rather it sucked me soooo damn hard - I even did not do every combination of available cultures) Lucy OpenDev, it made me wonder, why this game is so good (IMO) yet in a still beta state. Did it have balance issues? Plenty. Did it have bugged AI option in menu? Offcourse. Did it have some graphics or animations only as a placeholders? Sure, did. But Great Scott how was it refreshing in gameplay with amazing looking map and fantastic music.

I remember the same feeling with Anno 1800, and that feeling made me buy every single pass for it. If anyone did not try it yet - highly recommended -

I'm sure even after release Humankind will suffer from some bugs and unbalanced state, but Amplitude made me feel like Fxs in days when Soren Johnson was a designer.

Well, Humankind isn't a AAA game by a longshot, but I agree on the advice not to pre-buy AAA games. They will always be disappointing. :p In my experience games from indie and small-to-mid-sized studios may be anywhere from great to horrible, while AAA games are more or less guaranteed to be middling because middling is safe and middling with good marketing sells.
While I don't have experience on this, I have one word and four numbers: Cyberpunk 2077. I just hope Manor Lords doesn't disappoint... Go check it out dear reader, by the way, it's very promising.

There isn’t a franchise left that hasn’t disappointed me into following this rule.

Maybe Elder Scrolls. Maybe.

Halo 5
Gears 4
Blops 4
Fallout 76 (which potentially means Elder Scrolls as well)

Civilization is not quite there yet, but there is no way I am buying any DLC/Expansion till after it comes out

Maybe Elder Scrolls. Maybe.
You're a lot more tolerant of a franchise (and studio) that hasn't made a good title in 18 years than I am. :lol:

Make it as easy as possible for modders to do their homework for them
Bethesda would be in deep trouble if they didn't allow modders to fix/create their games for them. :mischief:

110%. Aboslute fracking level one million crime boss that they are smart enough to know it
Also kudos to their PR department for convincing the community it's a good thing. :p

Also kudos to their PR department for convincing the community it's a good thing. :p

It’s absolutly amazing.

Seriously any developer that doesnt do this is an idiot. I notice that Microsoft is pushing this angle with the Halo MCC on PC

You will note that the second Bethesda stepped out of their zone with 76 it blew up in their face so badly they literally became Bungie and had to be bailed out by Microsoft

I preordered simply because I've loved every game Amplitude has done, but if you don't have the history with the company I don't think this thread of all threads will be the one to convince you. :p

Same here. Amplitude will stand behind their game and work to get it right. It's their magnum opus.

After I played (overplayed rather it sucked me soooo damn hard - I even did not do every combination of available cultures) Lucy OpenDev, it made me wonder, why this game is so good (IMO) yet in a still beta state. Did it have balance issues? Plenty. Did it have bugged AI option in menu? Offcourse. Did it have some graphics or animations only as a placeholders? Sure, did. But Great Scott how was it refreshing in gameplay with amazing looking map and fantastic music.

I remember the same feeling with Anno 1800, and that feeling made me buy every single pass for it. If anyone did not try it yet - highly recommended -

I'm sure even after release Humankind will suffer from some bugs and unbalanced state, but Amplitude made me feel like Fxs in days when Soren Johnson was a designer.

Soren's doing a fine job with Old World. And Firaxis lost all their best talent years ago.

Sadly HumanKind has been delayed until August. It's good they're taking the time to get it right but champing at the bit to try it.

Moderator Action: We have an entire forum dedicated to Humankind. Please use it. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here. Amplitude will stand behind their game and work to get it right. It's their magnum opus.

Soren's doing a fine job with Old World. And Firaxis lost all their best talent years ago.
Sadly HumanKind has been delayed until August. It's good they're taking the time to get it right but champing at the bit to try it.
Reminds me of Jon Shafer and his At the Gates - one day, it will be all right.. :yup:

AVOWED, an Elder Scrolls killer?
Based on The Outer Worlds, I'm not holding my breath--if anything Bethesda is committing suicide. ;) I hope I'm wrong, though; I enjoyed the Pillars of Eternity games.

LOL Amplitude stand behind their game? Have you seen the mess of Endless Space 2 right now?

I doubt it will be a "civ killer". Humankind has more in common with Endless Legend (a great game) than it does with the Civ franchise. In my view, you will only like Humankind if you love games like EL. There is a certain magic to Sid Meier's Civilization that no other 4x strategy game can capture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom