I pledge to not buy Civ 6 until it is released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do remember I could not finisih some of the early games I started with CiV as there was an issue at a specific turn number, that did not allow me to continue. Despite this experience I still enjoyed it a lot even pre any patch.

Having said that I still will wait before ordering Civ VI until I have seen more game mechanics. But knowing myself chances for not pre-ordering it are low :mischief::D.

Same here. Never crashed; never failed to finish a game from vanilla to now.
The Civ V mods I try out crash quite a bit. And, I must admit, I've failed to finish many a Civ game :mischief: But I too can't remember any in-game vanilla crashes. If it was a "thing," it was for a subset of computers, not everyone?

I love the Civ franchise. I hate what both pre-release and rush-to-market decisions do to good games. Because I genuinely want Civ 6 to be the best Civ ever I'm asking you to make this pledge with me. Make them finish the game before you give them your cash.

If you feel strongly about this you can go a step further and pledge not to buy it until the positive reviews are in, but that's a whole other level of commitment.

It may not be much, but voting with our wallet is the most we can do. So between that and doing nothing I will take it.

edit: Link to answer the question: How do preorders hurt gamers?

You wrote... Wisely.

Watch how many people will disregard it. Wisdom is always in small supply.

Empty, maybe. Unrealistic? We're talking about not buying a game until after it is released. How is that unrealistic?

Will it make a difference? Who knows...we clearly don't have the data to say whether or not abstaining en masse from preorders would do any good. But when you do a cost benefit analysis on not having a video game for a short time against maybe making the games you do buy even just slightly better it's hard to defend getting the game a bit early.

And if you still do it? No big deal. This isn't exactly whaling we're talking about. It's just clearly the smart move to wait.

Empty, maybe. Unrealistic? We're talking about not buying a game until after it is released. How is that unrealistic?

Will it make a difference? Who knows...we clearly don't have the data to say whether or not abstaining en masse from preorders would do any good. But when you do a cost benefit analysis on not having a video game for a short time against maybe making the games you do buy even just slightly better it's hard to defend getting the game a bit early.

And if you still do it? No big deal. This isn't exactly whaling we're talking about. It's just clearly the smart move to wait.

I am GOING to play it on release. That is a given.

Explain to me how smart I am buying it 1 minute after it release and waiting 30 days for the Aztecs when I could buy it 1 minute before and have it immediately.

That's doesn't strike me as a brilliant plan.

So worst case you'll be forced to live your life for an entire month not able to play a specific Civ. Best case pre-ordering in general becomes less of a force in the industry.

The personal cost of this attempt is so minor that it seems petty and small to exert your own "need" to have the game or an extra Civ early.

I mean go ahead and do it, clearly you feel very differently about the value of an extra month of gameplay with the Aztecs, and that's fine.

Just don't act like you're super intelligent because you have no willpower.

I just received the steam controller that came with my pre-order. I was afraid it would come at the same time as the game, but now I have some time getting used to the controller. So I am glad I pre-ordered.

At the same time I sympathize with the people that have pledged to wait. Perhaps everyone being aware that there is a substantial part of the customer base that will not pre-order is good enough.

So worst case you'll be forced to live your life for an entire month not able to play a specific Civ. Best case pre-ordering in general becomes less of a force in the industry.

The personal cost of this attempt is so minor that it seems petty and small to exert your own "need" to have the game or an extra Civ early.

I mean go ahead and do it, clearly you feel very differently about the value of an extra month of gameplay with the Aztecs, and that's fine.

Just don't act like you're super intelligent because you have no willpower.

I am going to buy it at release. I happen to like Civ, all 5 of them to be exact. What possible gain do I get by waiting until the pre-order expires? Aztecs are not that important in the big scheme of things. It's a bonus for doing something I was already doing anyway. I'm not waiting for reviews because by the time the thing releases I will very likely know exactly what I am getting give or take some bugs. What is this forum called again? Civ Dabblers?

Real willpower would be to stop buying games period since they are a waste of time to be completely honest. ALL OF THEM.

This entire thread is goofy to be honest. I would expect to see it on "Civ Who Cares" as opposed to "Civ Fanatics".

I like Civ too.

I think the thread is plenty clear about what possible gain you and everyone else get by not preordering.

Frankly at this point your continued inability to just accept even the basic premise of this thread amounts to a temper tantrum.

We say, "Hey, it'd probably be better for everyone if you didn't preorder any games, and civ is a game."

You say, "BUT I WANNA. WHAT DO I GET IF I DON'T!?"

Once again, you wanna, you do. Just don't act all exasperated that others can and would like others to show some restraint for the benefit of all.

Since I'm paying $105 Canadian for the deluxe, as opposed to $80+ for the base game and potentially $10 or more for EACH DLC, I cannot make this pledge. I pay enough extra money just because our lower dollar, thank you very much. It's all well and good if you can afford the high moral ground, but asking someone to pay up to a day's wages for a game, or wait until 2 to 3 months after the rest of the world owns it before it drops in price, is enough for me to go with the preorder. I can deal with needing a patch here or there.

Moderator Action: Some of you are getting personal. Getting personal moves us towards incivility, trolling and/or flaming. Please make your arguments without mocking or insults.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

And I will happily provide you with that service for being able to play the game asap! :D
I took benefit of it myself for CiV! But this time it's different.

I don't want a beta on release either, of course! I have high hopes that somehow CivVI means much to Firaxis! We haven't seen "real" game-footage yet, but I'm hopeful. In Ed we trust. I furthermore have a feeling that they're not getting pushed by 2k to a release date as hard as it was the case with CiV (just a feeling - I'm absolutely no insider). It's the 25th anniversary after all and it's the crown of their franchises!

Remember the big sloppy kiss CiV was supposed to be? :cry: If they kiss me the same way this time I will happily show them parts of my body where they can!

Thank you! We need more of you. :D

Right now, you are only showing them your wallet... perhaps you should add a zipper to the pocket where you hold your wallet so to expedite the process just in case..? :lol::lol::lol:

I hope everyone here realizes we're talking about a game here, not buying a house.

:rolleyes:

Or are we? Think about it. Maybe we are just scratching the surface of something bigger, something that in fact is threatening to make North American (and maybe European?) families go broke.

The problem was known as "instant gratification" in the old days... parents used to teach their children about "postponement rewards" very early (I sure did); it was the core of savings, and financial health. Now everything is different; we live in the "instant gratification" era. And we see the consequences.

So, maybe it's bigger than it seems...? Food for thought.

How many other games cost 80 dollars for their basic version? It's a serious question, I can't think of any AAA titles costing over 70 dollars so i'm guessing there are only a few. So CIV 6 would be in the top several percent when it comes to price tag?

So you can count me in not preordering it nor buying before a sale. It will be a hard wait, since everything i'm reading about the game makes it look really good, one of the best entries in the series.

I like Civ too.

I think the thread is plenty clear about what possible gain you and everyone else get by not preordering.

Frankly at this point your continued inability to just accept even the basic premise of this thread amounts to a temper tantrum.

We say, "Hey, it'd probably be better for everyone if you didn't preorder any games, and civ is a game."

You say, "BUT I WANNA. WHAT DO I GET IF I DON'T!?"

Once again, you wanna, you do. Just don't act all exasperated that others can and would like others to show some restraint for the benefit of all.
There hasn't actually been any convincing evidence of what gain we get by not pre-ordering presented in this thread. And several of us have asked.

There hasn't actually been any convincing evidence of what gain we get by not pre-ordering presented in this thread. And several of us have asked.

I have to agree. Temper tantrums appear to be split between the two camps. Frankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about. Pre-order or don't pre-order, the choice is entirely yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom