1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I pledge to not buy Civ 6 until it is released

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by ash88, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravihon

Ravihon Chieftain

I do remember I could not finisih some of the early games I started with CiV as there was an issue at a specific turn number, that did not allow me to continue. Despite this experience I still enjoyed it a lot even pre any patch.

Having said that I still will wait before ordering Civ VI until I have seen more game mechanics. But knowing myself chances for not pre-ordering it are low :mischief::D.

2. Sprenk

Sprenk Prince

The Civ V mods I try out crash quite a bit. And, I must admit, I've failed to finish many a Civ game :mischief: But I too can't remember any in-game vanilla crashes. If it was a "thing," it was for a subset of computers, not everyone?

3. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

You wrote... Wisely.

Watch how many people will disregard it. Wisdom is always in small supply.

4. rastak

rastak Emperor

One man's wisdom is another man's unrealistic and idealistic empty gesture.

I can respect how both feel, even if not everyone can.

5. Fromage10x

Fromage10x Chieftain

Empty, maybe. Unrealistic? We're talking about not buying a game until after it is released. How is that unrealistic?

Will it make a difference? Who knows...we clearly don't have the data to say whether or not abstaining en masse from preorders would do any good. But when you do a cost benefit analysis on not having a video game for a short time against maybe making the games you do buy even just slightly better it's hard to defend getting the game a bit early.

And if you still do it? No big deal. This isn't exactly whaling we're talking about. It's just clearly the smart move to wait.

6. rastak

rastak Emperor

I am GOING to play it on release. That is a given.

Explain to me how smart I am buying it 1 minute after it release and waiting 30 days for the Aztecs when I could buy it 1 minute before and have it immediately.

That's doesn't strike me as a brilliant plan.

7. Fromage10x

Fromage10x Chieftain

So worst case you'll be forced to live your life for an entire month not able to play a specific Civ. Best case pre-ordering in general becomes less of a force in the industry.

The personal cost of this attempt is so minor that it seems petty and small to exert your own "need" to have the game or an extra Civ early.

I mean go ahead and do it, clearly you feel very differently about the value of an extra month of gameplay with the Aztecs, and that's fine.

Just don't act like you're super intelligent because you have no willpower.

8. Alphons Rodulfo

Alphons Rodulfo weakling

I just received the steam controller that came with my pre-order. I was afraid it would come at the same time as the game, but now I have some time getting used to the controller. So I am glad I pre-ordered.

At the same time I sympathize with the people that have pledged to wait. Perhaps everyone being aware that there is a substantial part of the customer base that will not pre-order is good enough.

9. rastak

rastak Emperor

I am going to buy it at release. I happen to like Civ, all 5 of them to be exact. What possible gain do I get by waiting until the pre-order expires? Aztecs are not that important in the big scheme of things. It's a bonus for doing something I was already doing anyway. I'm not waiting for reviews because by the time the thing releases I will very likely know exactly what I am getting give or take some bugs. What is this forum called again? Civ Dabblers?

Real willpower would be to stop buying games period since they are a waste of time to be completely honest. ALL OF THEM.

This entire thread is goofy to be honest. I would expect to see it on "Civ Who Cares" as opposed to "Civ Fanatics".

10. Fromage10x

Fromage10x Chieftain

I like Civ too.

I think the thread is plenty clear about what possible gain you and everyone else get by not preordering.

Frankly at this point your continued inability to just accept even the basic premise of this thread amounts to a temper tantrum.

We say, "Hey, it'd probably be better for everyone if you didn't preorder any games, and civ is a game."

You say, "BUT I WANNA. WHAT DO I GET IF I DON'T!?"

Once again, you wanna, you do. Just don't act all exasperated that others can and would like others to show some restraint for the benefit of all.

11. rastak

rastak Emperor

I'm not exasperated, I'm actually having a good laugh.

Anyway, carry on.

12. Virdrago

Virdrago Wandering

Since I'm paying $105 Canadian for the deluxe, as opposed to $80+ for the base game and potentially $10 or more for EACH DLC, I cannot make this pledge. I pay enough extra money just because our lower dollar, thank you very much. It's all well and good if you can afford the high moral ground, but asking someone to pay up to a day's wages for a game, or wait until 2 to 3 months after the rest of the world owns it before it drops in price, is enough for me to go with the preorder. I can deal with needing a patch here or there.

13. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Moderator Action: Some of you are getting personal. Getting personal moves us towards incivility, trolling and/or flaming. Please make your arguments without mocking or insults.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

14. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Thank you! We need more of you. :D

Right now, you are only showing them your wallet... perhaps you should add a zipper to the pocket where you hold your wallet so to expedite the process just in case..? :lol::lol::lol:

15. rastak

rastak Emperor

I hope everyone here realizes we're talking about a game here, not buying a house.

:rolleyes:

16. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Or are we? Think about it. Maybe we are just scratching the surface of something bigger, something that in fact is threatening to make North American (and maybe European?) families go broke.

The problem was known as "instant gratification" in the old days... parents used to teach their children about "postponement rewards" very early (I sure did); it was the core of savings, and financial health. Now everything is different; we live in the "instant gratification" era. And we see the consequences.

So, maybe it's bigger than it seems...? Food for thought.

17. Binkov

Binkov Chieftain

How many other games cost 80 dollars for their basic version? It's a serious question, I can't think of any AAA titles costing over 70 dollars so i'm guessing there are only a few. So CIV 6 would be in the top several percent when it comes to price tag?

So you can count me in not preordering it nor buying before a sale. It will be a hard wait, since everything i'm reading about the game makes it look really good, one of the best entries in the series.

18. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

I 'm getting the aztech at release and you don't , Therefore I feel superior to you :king:

Moderator Action: Please discuss the topic and stop the personal references.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

19. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

There hasn't actually been any convincing evidence of what gain we get by not pre-ordering presented in this thread. And several of us have asked.

20. gfeier

gfeier King

I have to agree. Temper tantrums appear to be split between the two camps. Frankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about. Pre-order or don't pre-order, the choice is entirely yours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.