Icebreaking triremes

AIRBASES being in forts and/or citadels would be nice indeed. :)

Air units are already very powerful in the hands of the human; being limited to cities seems reasonable to me.

Maybe.... air units don't have to worry about 1upt, terrain bonuses, or movement. The AI cannot efficiently analyze those things, so I'd suspect air is easier for the AI to handle than regular units - stack and shoot.

Except the AI always stacks them too close, you take their base (why? because they are a bleepin' PAIN), and then they don't seem to ever build any more.

Air unit dispersal is a GOOD thing (well, it's they I do it, at any rate).

Perhaps it's because they can't protect them easily enough.

Either way IMHO we need to get these back in the game somehow... The continents plus maps have all sorts of areas that are one hex wide that would be perfect for the Fort/Canal

There is a mod currently that has that equivalent of a moving air base, kind of a carrier that operates out of the water. Perhaps there is code in that that would allow this to happen?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=452288

Maybe.... air units don't have to worry about 1upt, terrain bonuses, or movement. The AI cannot efficiently analyze those things, so I'd suspect air is easier for the AI to handle than regular units - stack and shoot.

Yes, but making air units stationable on Forts will give the human another advantage because for example intercontinental invasions will be easier (and goodness knows they're easy enough as it is now) - we can simply send a worker across the ocean in advance of our regular army to build a fort on an unclaimed tile and transfer all our air units over instead of a) taking a city first or b) investing in carriers, then our ground force just has to defend the fort while the air mops up. The AI won't use tactics like this, guaranteed.

Yes, but making air units stationable on Forts will give the human another advantage because for example intercontinental invasions will be easier (and goodness knows they're easy enough as it is now) - we can simply send a worker across the ocean in advance of our regular army to build a fort on an unclaimed tile and transfer all our air units over instead of a) taking a city first or b) investing in carriers, then our ground force just has to defend the fort while the air mops up. The AI won't use tactics like this, guaranteed.

Agreed, but I think you're sailing into "fun" waters.

Dunkah may have merely been saying the code in the mod would make a good model for how to return canals that don't act as airbases to the game.

Yes that is true, but I would also like to see airbases. But it goes way beyond that... I would like to see the airbases as an separate improvement however.

So first off you cut the range of Air units down to like 4 or 5 hexes. However they can move along the water or accross country, So they can be transported anywhere at the same rate as anything else. Then you have a worker build an airbase near the target. Once the unit reaches the airbase it can do attack missions or recon. Defensless until then.

Top Bottom