Iconic warsongs (can include serious or funny ^^)

Fear the gators. ...the gators...

Spoiler :

I found a music about Haitian revolution
But I guess the translation is wrong. Mwen Blese means I'm blessed and not I'm hurt.

I was working the late shift in a 24-hour convenience store in January 1991 when the U.S. started bombing Iraq, and the radio station I was listening to marked the moment with Black Sabbath's "War Pigs."

The most famous songs by The Glenn Miller Orchestra are so strongly associated with the American experience of World War 2, at least in my mind, that I kind of think of them as being of the war, if not explicitly about it. "Moonlight Serenade" (1939, although it hit big in 1944) is my favorite, and the one I find the most evocative.

Jule Styne and Sammy Cahn's "It's Been a Long, Long Time" (1945), on the other hand, is explicitly about the war. Specifically, about the men finally coming home. It's not an outright protest song, but you don't need to be a genius to read between the lines. The war was over, but this was hardly celebrating the fact. It says, "we just lost N years of our lives; let's not do that again, please" and it rocketed to #1 on the U.S. Billboard charts. It was recorded a bunch of times by different artists, but the most successful, and my favorite, was by The Harry James Orchestra, sung by Kitty Kallen, in 1945. Fans of the MCU will know this one.

Take a mortal man
And put him in control
Watch him become a God
Watch people's heads a'roll

Just like the Pied Piper
Led rats through the streets
We dance like marionettes
Swaying to the symphony of destruction

I read somewhere that the crowd is saying "aguante Megadeth", derived from a chant for one of the Buenos Aires football clubs.

Here's a medley from Steve Cogan/Alan Partridge.
First one isn't a rebel song but he seems to be a good singer so it would be a shame to cut out.
Sweet Sixteen by the Fureys, Come Out Ye Black and Tans, and The Men Behind the Wire by the Wolfe Tones.

Last edited:
Here's a medley from Steve Cogan/Alan Partridge.
First one isn't a rebel song but he seems to be a good singer so it would be a shame to cut out.
Sweet Sixteen by the Fureys, Come Out Ye Black and Tans, and The Men Behind the Wire by the Wolfe Tones.
"Omg that was like an advert for the IRA" :D

Over the Hills and Over the Main.
Learned of it from the Sharpe series and thought it was a great song.

And as much as I thought the show Lexx was overrated and weird for the sake of weird, the Brunnen-G fight song was dope.

EDIT: Forgot about this one, a robot march from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop and Delia Derbyshire (lady behind the Dr Who theme song).

There are some other martial songs I think are quite good, like the overture to Lawrence of Arabia or the various Janissary marches, but those are fairly well know.

I found a music about Haitian revolution
But I guess the translation is wrong. Mwen Blese means I'm blessed and not I'm hurt.
It's French creole. Mwen blessé comes from "moi blessé" which either means I'm hurt or I'm wounded depending on the context.

However, that representation of the Haitian revolution in the video is wrong. The Haitian revolution wasn't about uprising slaves fighting a French expeditionary force at any point. French revolutionaries abolished slavery in Saint-Domingue in 1793, then the freedmen fought under the French flag against Spain and England in the Caribbeans during 10 years, lead by French General Toussaint Louverture, who conqueered the whole island of Hispaniola. Eventually in 1802, during a European peace interval, Napoleon asked Louverture to make peace with England and he refused. Napoleon got pissed, declared reinstitution of slavery and sent an expeditionary force to the island in 1803.

This is the only time when a French expeditonary force actually fought freedmen, but those were well-trained armed veterans who fought against Spain and England for 10 years. They weren't slaves who just broke their chains. They won the fight, actually making Napoleon suffered his first loss, and Jean-Jacques Dessalines proclaimed the Republic of Haiti on January 1st, 1804.

Top Bottom