If God put you in charge of...

i'd give people the ability to view replays of events in life including anything that happened that the person was not privy to. then i'd give them the chance to choose what entity they next want to reincarnate in. this next entity would then keep the personality of the person in the unconscious and receive wisdom and advice from it from time to time, in addition to being able to dream about the life of the person.

You could, you could also have it all be in their "mind".

I was thinking it was more like a "Matrix" sort of thing.
I'm not sure about that. It seems plausible to me that an imagined or simulated being should have the same experiences as you or I.

One thing to note is someone in amadeus's afterlife system could imagine this world as it is now, complete with amadeus himself in it! How can amadeus tell if he is the "real" amadeus or some amadeus program in a Matrix-style simulation?

Depends if they have "souls" or not, no souls no reincarnation.
So what are these soul things? Do they have memories or traits associated with them?

Existence is hell. Nonexistence is heaven. No design of heaven or hell can affect that basic equation.
Why do you believe that?

So I can't use any sort of knowledge about how I think things actually are (Or how God actually is) in my answer?
Yep. Of course, your answer might be how currently think heaven operates.

I'd do it the way God has been doing it.
God says he does it by going forward in time and asking NickyJ what to do!

Perf, how would you answer your own question?

One thing to note is someone in amadeus's afterlife system could imagine this world as it is now, complete with amadeus himself in it! How can amadeus tell if he is the "real" amadeus or some amadeus program in a Matrix-style simulation?
I don't know. I don't put that much thought into these things.

Living a lifetime with terminal depression.
That might be the case for certain people, but I don't think that applies to everyone. I mean, I don't believe my current existence is Hell.

So what are these soul things? Do they have memories or traits associated with them?

A "soul" would be the the personality of the person, and/or whatever makes them them. However, because so much of what makes you you is based on life experiences and nurturing as well as genetics I cannot believe 'souls' are even possible or at least consequential to reincarnation.

I'd put the souls on the road to human reincarnation. No heaven nor hell.

A "soul" would be the the personality of the person, and/or whatever makes them them. However, because so much of what makes you you is based on life experiences and nurturing as well as genetics I cannot believe 'souls' are even possible or at least consequential to reincarnation.
I tend to agree here, so you seemed to talk earlier more about the soul case then the non-soul case. What sort of afterlife would you have then?

I'm not sure about that. It seems plausible to me that an imagined or simulated being should have the same experiences as you or I.
I think the point of the term "simulation" is that they don't. Which is quit possible. You can choose to copy the whole way consciousness works and you will have actual persons. Or you just copy the by you perceivable results of a theoretical consciousness. The appearance will be identical. The substance not at all. I.e. you stand with a person who talks to you. With the real deal, this person will have thoughts, emotions etcetera. In the simulation the person does not but solely commits the actions which would be the result of the thoughts and emotions.

The by one perceivable world is the key here. In the real world, the by you perceived world is only a tiny tiny fraction of what is going on. In a simulation - it is all that is going on.

So I guess amadeus would like to strip his sub-gods off the power to create and leave them with the power to experience, which is in the end equally powerful but ethically sound.

edit: I just realized that you can still create real people under those rules. If with your god-like power you made an effort to perceive every theoretically aspects of a mind - I mean every one - simultaneously, then I am afraid one would have created consciousness, at least for the time one is "looking". Or not? I am not sure ^^
But to be sure better include a safety-mechanism making this impossible.

I'd put the souls on the road to human reincarnation. No heaven nor hell.
Why reincarnation? Also what of a person is in their soul?

Which god? There are thousands of them and many of them have pretty lousy afterlifes.
The "True" God, (that is the hypothetical God that is posing you this question).

You of course can base your decision on the afterlife implemented by any God (even one's that you currently believe exist).

The main point is to nullify the "I'm just going to let God continue what he's doing" response. You're in charge here, you have to make the decision.

I tend to agree here, so you seemed to talk earlier more about the soul case then the non-soul case. What sort of afterlife would you have then?

Increasingly leading towards none. If a soul is not required for life, then there is no reason to have it. So no afterlife.

If I did give living beings some kind of soul, then I'd just have them reincarnate. It won't matter if people are reincarnated based on how well they do in life, they will never be able to know or remember but it would make them happier to believe better actions get you a better next life. As a god I probably wouldn't care too deeply, as I'd have millions if not trillions of worlds going on at once.

Top Bottom