If God put you in charge of...

I'd have fun with people based on how they screwed others over on earth.

For example, I'd turn David Duke black. I'd put Fred Phelps in a cage with a gang of large, aggressive gay men. I'd turn Chris Matthews into a woman. I'd send all the Wall Street fatcats to an afterlife where they were dirt poor.

I think the point of the term "simulation" is that they don't. Which is quit possible. You can choose to copy the whole way consciousness works and you will have actual persons. Or you just copy the by you perceivable results of a theoretical consciousness. The appearance will be identical. The substance not at all. I.e. you stand with a person who talks to you. With the real deal, this person will have thoughts, emotions etcetera. In the simulation the person does not but solely commits the actions which would be the result of the thoughts and emotions.
I'm not sure if it is that possible, I mean, our actions seem to be dependent on our thoughts, emotions, etc. How could we generate the same actions without the same thoughts?

I'd have fun with people based on how they screwed others over on earth.

For example, I'd turn David Duke black. I'd put Fred Phelps in a cage with a gang of large, aggressive gay men. I'd turn Chris Matthews into a woman. I'd send all the Wall Street fatcats to an afterlife where they were dirt poor.

As tempting as this is, a god should be above such petty emotions such as revenge, hubris and wrath.

Increasingly leading towards none. If a soul is not required for life, then there is no reason to have it. So no afterlife.

If I did give living beings some kind of soul, then I'd just have them reincarnate. It won't matter if people are reincarnated based on how well they do in life, they will never be able to know or remember but it would make them happier to believe better actions get you a better next life. As a god I probably wouldn't care too deeply, as I'd have millions if not trillions of worlds going on at once.
Well it sees to me that a soul that goes for reincarnation might be incoherent (because it seems to lose the identity of the person), but that doesn't rule out other sorts of souls (say one that carries memories and personality traits). Those could have some sort of hypothetical afterlife, could they not?

The notion of an eternal afterlife, does not appeal to me.
What about it do you not like?

Send believers to Heaven, arm them greatly, and then attack hell, where all the sinners are, and kill them again and again!

I would do it by a case by case basis. I wouldn' t write a written down law because it is too much botherand I'm bound to forget to exclude a group I hate :p

I'm not sure if it is that possible, I mean, our actions seem to be dependent on our thoughts, emotions, etc. How could we generate the same actions without the same thoughts?
Well instead of neurons firing and hormones and other stuff influencing them and in the process creating different layers of conscious + unconscious processes leading to action, you have like a computer program calculating it all. It is not any different to computer calculations we have nowadays, just more complexity, more factors, longer equations. If those would result in consciousness, so should our programs nowadays, because complexity alone can't be a measure of consciousness, but that is the only significant difference.

Though on the other hand, I suppose if we assume the omnipotent version of god, one can just tell logic to screw itself and make it so, regardless of how much sense it makes.

Well instead of neurons firing and hormones and other stuff influencing them and in the process creating different layers of conscious + unconscious processes leading to action, you have like a computer program calculating it all. It is not any different to computer calculations we have nowadays, just more complexity, more factors, longer equations. If those would result in consciousness, so should our programs nowadays, because complexity alone can't be a measure of consciousness, but that is the only significant difference.

Consciousness is just a popular psychology term for learning. The better an organism is at learning new things, the more likely it is to be considered conscious. I suppose this is because the act of learning implies uniqueness; if your behavior is learned during life rather than biologically predetermined, then it will vary from individual to individual, creating unique "person"alities. Build a computer capable of learning, and matching or exceeding the intelligence of any extant organism will simply be a matter of cramming as much processing power into the computer's "brain" as possible.

If something acts conscious, then for all practical purposes, it is conscious. Philosophical zombies really only come into play if you believe in souls, which some creatures possess but others do not. In which case, though, talk of neurons is pointless since they're just a test of faith, like dinosaur bones or radiation.

You seemed to claim in your previous post that one could have an unconscious entity (the simulation) behave exactly like a human. While I agree that you could have a simulation behave exactly like a human, I'm not certain of is that you could construct such that it's unconscious.

If you think such a simulation would be conscious, then I think it would have moral worth, and thus could not be used as an illusion to fulfill someone's sadistic afterlife fantasy in a morally sound way.

Yep. Of course, your answer might be how currently think heaven operates.
Then I'll say that. ;)

More along the lines of what you actually want -- I'd probably establish some sort of system where people who act decently get rewarded, and people who don't get punished.

I would allow every soul to create their own heaven. If they get tired of their own heaven, then they can simply knock down other people's heaven doors, and ask them if they can go in it or not. In order to do that, they would have to have their friends request to be accepted by other souls in heaven facebook.

send all believer and good people into hell...

tell them they are screwed by GOD...

I send GOD into hell too...and he has to eat his own excrement...(since he created Human in his image... im sure he needs to go toilet)

send all believer and good people into hell...

tell them they are screwed by GOD...

I send GOD into hell too...and he has to eat his own excrement...(since he created Human in his image... im sure he needs to go toilet)

What about the bad people?

All people passing into the afterlife would become God Jrs. They'd have their own God-universe to do God-stuff in and create the kind of afterlife they wanted, but they couldn't override anything that I do.

So, Perf, if you wanted a world where SimCity 2000 has a larger map size and more buildings, that's the kind of world you could have.

Except people that have done bad stuff to me. I guess they get to go to boring cloud and harp heaven.

I'am sure you'll be visiting all the afterlives and leaving little presents in the form of lava floods (minecraft style)
On the other hand you'll probably have to keep tabs on all these afterlives just in case the boss decides to pay a visit/audit. You know whats hes like if he should find a golden bull.

I'd have a practical joke style system whereby all the heaven bound people would be sincerely told they are going to he'll , only to be ushered through the heaven door and be greeted by a big surprise party with balloons and cake and everything ! Then all the other happy heaven people jump out and scream " Surprise!"

And vice versa for hell , with Celine Dion on constant rotation by the DJ to rub it in ( and it's carrot cake ) .

That might be the case for certain people, but I don't think that applies to everyone. I mean, I don't believe my current existence is Hell.

Yeah, but this is my hell. And your happiness exists only to torture me further :p

Top Bottom