• Yes

Votes: 40 67.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Only if it was run by Giant Radioactive Chango Overlords

Votes: 7 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Interesting thought, England finally looses its rag at the Scots for bahaving like children every world-cup and stops subsidising the rest of the union? London finally looses its rag with middle England for electing the tories and suceeds from the UK, taking Sussex and Kent with it? The UK suceeds from the EU with Blair throwing subsidised farm goods at the French deligation before having to be restrained after trying to grab Burlesconi's wallet screming "Give us our money back you corrupt b*****ds"? The Queen disolves the Commonwealth saying "A time comes when one realises one doesnt give a rats-behind any more"?

I just dont see any of these things as practical or likly. If some freakish series of events occured I would have to play it by ear.

Field_Marshal said:
They arent states as in nations. Just administative divisions if you would.

I know, but they do have more authority than a province would have in most other countries. Of course it's all part of the balance of power and stuff, but still. The power of the federal part is not absolute right? So why aren't they allowed to leave? In the Netherlands we have provinces, which I guess are the counterparts of states when it comes in level of administration, but their power only excists because the central government wants it. Technically it could be taken from them whenever the central government wishes. This is not the case in the US right?

willemvanoranje said:
I know, but they do have more authority than a province would have in most other countries. Of course it's all part of the balance of power and stuff, but still. The power of the federal part is not absolute right? So why aren't they allowed to leave? In the Netherlands we have provinces, which I guess are the counterparts of states when it comes in level of administration, but their power only excists because the central government wants it. Technically it could be taken from them whenever the central government wishes. This is not the case in the US right?
Correct the term you are looking for is Unatary state: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Unitarystates.png Most large countrys (geographicaly speaking) are not Uniatry states, In high school they told me that the best example of unitary states are Japan and the U.K. while the best example of federal states are the U.S. and Mexico.

Stevenpfo said:
Yes. Alberta actually has a (very small) seperatist party. Despite the varrying points of view on what would happen to Alberta should it leave, I wonder how it would actually do on it's own. It'll never leave though and i'm glad. I enjoy being Canadian.

I'm a Canadian first, not an Albertan. Besides, it's pretty obvious what kind of gov't Alberta would have if it seperated so Yes I would leave.

Elta said:
Correct the term you are looking for is Unatary state: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Unitarystates.png Most large countrys (geographicaly speaking) are not Uniatry states, In high school they told me that the best example of unitary states are Japan and the U.K. while the best example of federal states are the U.S. and Mexico.

Well, there you go. :D Nothing against Federal states of course, but I just think it's stupid that it's not allowed to leave. That goes for any part in any country actually. If the people of some stupid village want to secede, let them do it.

Smidgey said:
zenspiderz

Calling people vassal states like that is what makes me want to leave in the first place... You know that can be quite insulting?

Sorry I didn't mean it as an insult. But you know your history don't you? Scotland was 'won' for the UK by force of arms so really Scotland is a vassal state like it or lump it.

Squonk said:
Why is Ontario province that bad?

It's not. The rest of Canada just feels we dominate Canadian politics (even though we hold 32% of the Parliament yet a 37% of the population iirc!)

When I'm Quebec, I identify myself as an American rather than an Ontarioian(?) :mischief:

Kinda a funny reversal from the American-in-Europe stereotype!

zenspiderz said:
Sorry I didn't mean it as an insult. But you know your history don't you? Scotland was 'won' for the UK by force of arms so really Scotland is a vassal state like it or lump it.

Yes I do know my own history, and I have no idea what you are talking about! :confused:

There was absolutely nothing to do with any 'force of arms' in the union of the crowns or the act of union. Most commentators today call it a marriage, (using olden days marriages) with England being the man and scotland being the woman.

No, because then id be a traitor.

Smidgey said:
Yes I do know my own history, and I have no idea what you are talking about! :confused:

There was absolutely nothing to do with any 'force of arms' in the union of the crowns or the act of union. Most commentators today call it a marriage, (using olden days marriages) with England being the man and scotland being the woman.

Most commentators are being polite. ;) I admit that I do not know much about the history in this particular case but wasn't there at least some force of arms involved?

zenspiderz said:
Most commentators are being polite. ;) I admit that I do not know much about the history in this particular case but wasn't there at least some force of arms involved?

In 1707? No. Scotland and England fought each other before this, yes.

There was fighting before the act of union, yes. But the act of union had nothing to do with anything military. It was a political act. It might be interesting to point out the the union of the crowns was the result of the Scottish king becoming the king of Great Britain.

Field_Marshal said:
Exactly, Ive never pledged allegiance to the flag of the united cities of NY.:crazyeye:

That has nothing to do with it; there are simply better states to secede with.

willemvanoranje said:

At one point, American states believed they had the right to declare any Federal law void if they didn't like it, and they believed they had the right to secede from the Union, as they entered it freely.

Presidents Lincoln and Jackson thought differently, and they had the army on their side.

Smidgey said:
There was fighting before the act of union, yes. But the act of union had nothing to do with anything military. It was a political act. It might be interesting to point out the the union of the crowns was the result of the Scottish king becoming the king of Great Britain.

A fact people often overlook.

Oh and when Sealand claimed independence it didnt seem to make much of a difference to anything.

GinandTonic said:
A fact people often overlook.

Oh and when Sealand claimed independence it didnt seem to make much of a difference to anything.

Probably because it was a tiny rock off the coast of great britain. Why would you even waste time and resources claiming a rock. :lol:

I would stay with my family.

John HSOG said:
I would stay with my family.

Why not take your family and move? Rather then getting yourself killed when the union comes to reclaim the state forcefully. :shake:

Xanikk999 said:
Why not take your family and move? Rather then getting yourself killed when the union comes to reclaim the state forcefully. :shake:
If the union peacfully voted (in congress) to let the state out I doubt they would.

Top Bottom