Illegals March in LA, angry about Bush's plan

greekguy

Missed the Boat
Link: http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2007/04/07/630668.html&cvqh=itn_immigrants

Immigrants March in LA Over Bush Plan

By PETER PRENGAMAN, Associated Press Writer

2 hours ago
UPDATED 1 HOUR 37 MINUTES AGO
LOS ANGELES - Thousands of people marched through downtown on Saturday, demanding a way for the country's estimated 12 million illegal immigrants to become citizens and condemning President Bush's latest proposal.

Carrying signs saying "Amnesty Now," about 15,000 people danced to Mexican ranchera music and passed large American flags over their heads.
Organizers said many illegal immigrants were angry about a White House plan that would grant them work visas but require them to return home and pay thousands of dollars to become legal U.S. residents.

"Charging that much, Bush is going to be even more expensive than the coyotes," said protester Armando Garcia, 50, referring to smugglers who transport people across the Mexican border.

Alfredo Gonzalez, 33, an illegal immigrant from Mexico, marched with his wife and daughters, ages 6 and 8. He said he fears the stepped-up immigration raids occurring across the country.

"If they kick me out, who is going to take care of my daughters? The government? I don't think so," he said. "We need full legalization and need it now."

Immigrant rights advocates say many of the area's illegal immigrants feel betrayed by President Bush, who they had long considered an ally.

The White House's draft plan, leaked last week, calls for a new "Z" visa that would allow illegal immigrant workers to apply for three-year work permits. They would be renewable indefinitely, but would cost $3,500 each time.

To get a permit and become legal permanent residents, illegal immigrants would have to return to their home country, apply at a U.S. embassy or consulate to re-enter legally and pay a $10,000 fine.

The proposal has been sharply criticized by Hispanic advocacy groups, Democrats, the Roman Catholic Church and unions that have many immigrants in their ranks. They argue the cost of work permits and the green card application _ which could total more than $20,000 _ are prohibitive for low-wage earners.

The plan is far more conservative than the one passed by the Senate last year with bipartisan backing and support from President Bush. That plan would have allowed many of the country's estimated 12 million illegal immigrants to stay in the United States, work and apply to become legal residents after learning English, pay small fines and back taxes and clear a background check.

Many Senate conservatives opposed that plan, and it failed to gain traction in the then Republican-controlled House, which at the end of 2005 passed the punitive immigration reform bill that angered immigrant communities and led to massive protests.

"Last year, we were fighting for legalization, and this year we are fighting for legalization and against all these raids," said Maria Lopez, 50, an illegal immigrant who works as a seamstress and sends $200 a month home to family members in Mexico.

"We have no way to come up with that much money, and Bush knows that," she said. "He is doing this on purpose so we don't ever become legal residents."
WTF?!? Where the hell is the INS? You've got thousands of people marching in the street in support of illegal immigrant rights, so you'd think most of them would be illegals? Why don't INS agents stay at the edge of these rallies and protests, and once it's all over, round up as many as they can and start the legal processes to get them deported? This country continues to amaze me.

oh, and btw, it's about time that Bush does something right as President. either the illegals pay to work in this country or they go back home to their third world hellhole. Either way, win-win for true Americans.

Why don't INS agents stay at the edge of these rallies and protests, and once it's all over, round up as many as they can and start the legal processes to get them deported?

Because in the United States your alowed to voice your opinion without fear of being deported.

WTF?!? Where the hell is the INS? You've got thousands of people marching in the street in support of illegal immigrant rights, so you'd think most of them would be illegals? Why don't INS agents stay at the edge of these rallies and protests, and once it's all over, round up as many as they can and start the legal processes to get them deported? This country continues to amaze me.

Maybe they realize it could start a riot.

oh, and btw, it's about time that Bush does something right as President. either the illegals pay to work in this country or they go back home to their third world hellhole. Either way, win-win for true Americans.

Maybe because they positively contribution to society, unlike ungrateful native-borns?

Even if your not suppose to be there? Sounds like good times to be an illegal immigrant.

Because in the United States your alowed to voice your opinion without fear of being deported.

they're allowed to voice their opinion, but i believe marching in a rally in support of illegal immigrant rights should be probable cause for the government that odds are that they are in fact illegals.

And the cost of deporting 12 million illegals would be...?

I'm not asking for a witch hunt here, no need to go combing through border towns and LA slums, but if people are suspected of being illegal (like not being able to offer up an SS # or driver's license when it is requested from some person for some reason), and it turns out they are illegal, they should be deported.

Maybe they realize it could start a riot.

no need to go in guns blazing, but if you read the article some of them admitted to being here illegally. how much more do you need to detain someone and get a deportation hearing going?

Maybe because they positively contribution to society, unlike ungrateful native-borns?
really? let's do a checklist of things American citizens are expected to do:

-pay yearly income taxes
-pay medical bills when having children born in hospitals on U.S.-Mexico border
-drive cars with valid driver's licenses
-report companies and corporations that pay workers less than minimum wage

Illegals do none of these things, and there's quite a few more. Need I go on?

Well if they are going to march and declare themselves illegals, its going to be THAT easy to round up and deport them.

(I dont support that though)

only if your a citizen, illeagals have no rights under our laws, they dont even have the right to breath under US law if they are illegal. They need to leave, we need to force them out, and close the boarder, Stop this trash from Mexico from entering, send the Marines to the boarder with orders to shoot anyone crossing the boarder.

only if your a citizen, illeagals have no rights under our laws

We don't know they are illegals. They are expressing support for rights for illegals.

Illegals still have the right to a fair trial as far as i know. And the right to humane treatment of course.

We don't know they are illegals. They are expressing support for rights for illegals.

a few openly admitted to being illegal. I dont want illeagals here. How do i know if the illeagal living next door is a child rapist, or a murder, i wouldnt know that, he didnt enter leaglly and isnt registared in the database if he would even have been allowed in

Supporting the rights of illegal immigrants does not mean you are an illegal alein. Besides, illegal aleins have the right to stay anyway (just not the legal right)

a few openly admitted to being illegal. I dont want illeagals here. How do i know if the illeagal living next door is a child rapist, or a murder, i wouldnt know that, he didnt enter leaglly and isnt registared in the database if he would even have been allowed in

How do you know the legal resident next door to you isn't a child rapist or murderer without being caught?

This is pulling a Bill O'Liely and putting illegal next to the crime, and outraging idiots like yourself.

How do you know the legal resident next door to you isn't a child rapist or murderer without being caught?

This is pulling a Bill O'Liely and putting illegal next to the crime, and outraging idiots like yourself.

O'liely. Brilliant:king:

The police and INS should be on the scene, checking papers. Any illegal caught should be immediately deported.

only if your a citizen, illeagals have no rights under our laws, they dont even have the right to breath under US law if they are illegal.

Now THAT's cruel irony. An "American" who doesn't actually know shizzit about the American Constitution.

American rights+illegal immigrant....*does not compute*

They have the natural rights of humans, but they do not deserve much else until they actually get citizenship. For some of them that may really suck, but the law is the law.

Yes, I do fully realize that legal immigration needs to be made a whole lot easier. However, being nice to illegals isn't the way to do it. We're attacking the symptoms, we need to go to the roots.

Top Bottom