IMPORTANT: Forum Security Breach & Uploads/Downloads

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
On Sunday at around 2 PM EST, the forum server was compromised and the hacker was able to delete the content of the "uploads" and "downloads" folders on the forum server. The "uploads" folder is used by Easy Uploads and the "downloads" folder is used by the Downloads Database.

So far our host Telefragged has restored both folders to a backup from July 23, 2007. Unfortunately, that appears to be the most recent backup of those two folders we have, due to a faulty tape backup. So we lost about 7 months of uploads.

We know this really sucks and is something that shouldn't be allow to happen in the first place. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, especially to all the modders. From now on, we'll be doing daily backup of all the site files, for both the forum site and main site, to make sure we don't have this kind of data loss again in the future.

What Are Affected

For the Downloads Database, files uploaded after July 23, 2007 are affected. This includes file entries uploaded after July 23 2007 and file entries initially uploaded before that date but were later updated with new versions.

For the Easy Uploads, files uploaded after July 23, 2007 are affected.

Easy Upload Disabled

Due to security problem with Easy Upload, we have disabled the feature. Please use forum attachments instead. For screenshot/images, you can also use external picture hosting sites such as ImageShack or PhotoBucket.

What You Can Do To help

If you are a modder, you can help us return things back to normal by checking your files in the Downloads Database and edit those files that have broken download link to re-upload the file. (NOTE: If you need to re-upload lots of files, please contact me for FTP access so you can bulk upload)

For everyone else, if you notice some modders who are not active and their files are affected, you can help by contacting them and ask them to re-upload their files.

Rather than letting this news get you down, unhappy, or angry, let's make the best of this opportunity to pull closer together as a community.

I, for one, would appreciate hearing tips, tricks, strategies, and procedures on using external image hosting sites and on how best to use the forum attachments feature. Feel free to start a thread in the appropriate forum and then link to it here. If such a thread already exists, then link away!

Clearly, the guilty party is lacking in integrity. However, let us say no more on the matter. Resist the temptation to complain about the issue. Avoid discussing the issue except in terms of giving and asking for advice on how to re-upload files faster and more effectively and on how to use images in our posts.

Such a person will feed on any negative feedback that you provide, so the best service that you can do is to intentionally ignore the transgression when posting on the forum. It will be a given that said party will be returning to the forums, refreshing pages, awaiting the complaints to pile up. Do not feed the guilty party and instead, focus on going about your business as usual. If there are to be repercussions to an individual, let the staff deal with said party quietly.

I'll start re-uploading my recent files soon. But I feel bad about Wyrmshadow - I think he uploaded most of his +1300 files after july 23...

I'd say so. I can show a list of unit files I have downloaded too for re-uploading (if some of the unit makers should for some reason no longer have them). It'd have to be later today, possibly tomorrow.

@ aaglo: What about the explosion of orc units you've released rather recently?

This is embarassing. I can't find where I stored all those units files that I have.... :blush:

All of them gone from the server. I think there's about 60...70 units lost of my files, but that's an afternoon's chore for me. I assume that I have saved all of those files in my pc. If not, then I'll notify the WH40k-team, who might have backups of them.

@ThunderFall:
Do you know if there are any ways of avoiding this kind of nonsense in the future? If it takes money, please e-mail me your IBAN# ;)

I think I have all his files on my HD, as I redownloaded almost everything during January after I lost all the files on my computer.

I could upload some of them for him.

However, I may have change the names of the file for better sorting. I don't know if it is important.

I propably also have most of the other modders files safe on my HD.

I'll burn a DVD this evening just in case.

Damned! I've been found!

Yes, I have downloaded almost all units for CivIII. Including yours. If you miss one file, there's a good chance I have it.

I've done a quick assessment.

We have lost 3 pages of industrial units, fantasy, and sci-fi. Only 1 or 2 medieval and ancient.

And 15 pages of modern units, mostly Wyrmshadow's aircrafts.

The most impacted seems to be Wyrmshadow, Aaglo, Plotinus and NavyDawg.

I'm not sure about Sandris.

I've done a quick assessment.

We have lost 3 pages of industrial units, fantasy, and sci-fi. Only 1 or 2 medieval and ancient.

And 15 pages of modern units, mostly Wyrmshadow's aircrafts.

The most impacted seems to be Wyrmshadow, Aaglo, Plotinus and NavyDawg.

I'm not sure about Sandris.
Then there's everything else - cities, improvements, wonders, terrain, LHs, ...

Great. Not sure if I still have everything on my hard drive though... I would've lost quite a few of my units. :(

On the bright side, it is kind of funny. We've been hacked! :lol:

I might have to scan through to see what files have survived and what files have not made it through the backup.

I'm fairly sure I don't have all of my older stuff, but hopefully people who have downloaded can help fill in the blanks.

Easy Upload Disabled

Due to security problem with Easy Upload, we have disabled the feature. Please use forum attachments instead. For screenshot/images, you can also use external picture hosting sites such as ImageShack or PhotoBucket

Thunderfall, are you saying that there will be no more public access to the uploads server? As a temporary issue, it's no big deal. On a permanent basis, it would be very damaging to the succession game community, as this feature has been in place since 2002. Obviously you must do what's best for the website, but I hope you'll be able to find a way to continue this wonderful feature, rather than force everyone to use external hosting services.

This sucks! I didn't upload much at all, but I think except for my latest two uploads I don't have any of the others on my HD any more! I'm going to check right now to make sure they are still there, because AFAIK they were uploaded on different sites and linked to from here... but gotta check!

Edit: Yep they are all still there except for 1 preview image, but anyway I uploaded virtually nothing compared to the serious modders here. Good luck with getting the files back uploaded!!

Hmm, too bad... Thankfully, several people have copies of close to every file we had which are lost, so this will hopefully only be a minor setback for the upload database.

However, won't it be EXTREMELY slow to load because of all the sudden new uploads?

Also, have you and Telefragged figured out a way to secure the servers better?

Wow, this upsets me to no end. WHY do some people seem to have to get their kicks at someone elses expense?

Do your best MODs, this is a strong community, its rare to find such a powerful group of people who are so courteous, kind and helpful, even to total n00bs and strangers. I felt the strength of the players here immediately, when I was openly welcomed to the "club" from my very first post.

And to whomever is responsible for this, if you read this, I truly pity you. What an empty, pathetic life you must have. It saddens me to know there are actually people like you out there. Grow up.

Top Bottom