1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

In God Some of us Trust...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MobBoss, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Shadylookin

Shadylookin master debater

I don't think you understand how the constitution works. It sets up a framework for government that cannot be undone by a simple majority.

Why would they be in violation of the constitution? They had the right to free speech and they could say whatever notion popped into their head. Heritage is a rather shallow reason for the government to support religion.

2. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

That does not follow.

The US is not a democracy. We select those who will govern, not how they govern.

But... let's say we do govern by majority rule and that if 90% of Americans wanted to, we would in fact override the first amendment like you suggest. In that hypothetical...

what the hell is your point?

3. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

No, the right to alter or abolish government that has become destructive to the security of inalienable rights is held to be self-evident.

The DoI gave us no freedom. The men that shot redcoats did that. You should show more reverence to the soldiers that came before you.

4. candle

candle Prince

i do, my family line on my fathers side traces back to a Col Serving in the NC Militia actully.

5. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

And you know better than yours. This isn't rocket science. :rolleyes:

6. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Which protestant Christianity? :crazyeye:

7. candle

candle Prince

any government that does not serve the majority has ceasesd its right to rule, do you deny this basic truth, would you follow the government if you hated everything it stood for along with the rest of the country. Do you blindly follow washington

8. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

So, like Bush for the last few years of his Presidency?

9. candle

candle Prince

an approval rating taken from the west coast is not indictive of actual support. Most of the mid west supported Bush but we are considered backwards and not represented in such poles

10. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

No, that was nationwide polls, like it or not. For the entire country, in other words

11. candle

candle Prince

except the midwest doesnt bother, I myself didnt bother with the approval rating polls, we have better things to do than take a new poll every month, we work, the west and east coasts should try it

12. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Based on unemployment rates, you all were working less during the Bush years.

13. Lord Malbeth

Lord Malbeth Emperor

My big question is why does anyone care? Christian, Jews, Muslims, Bahá'í, Zoroastrianism, etc. shouldn't be offended, since they all worship 'God'. Atheists shouldn't be offended, since they don't believe in him and it doesn't really matter.. (It's not like the thing says "Convert or Die!!"). And other relgions shouldn't worry since they can just laugh it off and say, that's not right...

I will say, however, as much as you want to argue it, Judeo-Christian religons have shaped histroy post 3 A.D., but I wouldn't go so far as to say the US was founded as Christian realm. Considering most of our founding fathers were Deists, I'd say this is rather the opposite.

14. candle

candle Prince

the Diest myth is simply that a myth. The founding fathers where all active members off there church. And the Christian influance can be seen in the consition and the first 10 amendments. All men are created equal was said by Jesus Christ long before it was in the Constition and that phrase was taken straight from the bible. So please do not spread the myth, as its insulting to devalue the faith of the founding fathers. They went so far as to say the constition and bill of rights where for people of realgion only.

And we do not worship the same god. Jews and Christians Worship the god of Abraham, Islam Worships Allah, and the rest worship there own god. Only jews and Christians share a god, and it is a fallacy to say Islam follows the teachings of the one true god, as there holy book is the total opposite of the bible

15. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

You need to learn the difference between the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence.

16. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

I have literally never, ever seen a less convincing argument here on OT. Never

17. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

If they said that (which they didn't) then "rights" in the US are pretty much meaningless.

Muslims, Jews, and Christians all worship the Jewish god.

Most of what you say seems to be just a joke though.

18. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Uhm. You may want to do some more research on this. While I do agree that the vast majority of founding fathers were indeed religous and were church members, there were some - a handful - that were indeed diests.

No harm in admitting the truth.

19. Miles Teg

Miles Teg Nuclear Powered Mentat

Verse number please?

20. West 36

West 36 Can count up to 4

Implying trust on the whole of the people is sort of offensive, sure there may be no real repercussion for that but just in principle one would think that if you're going to say something on behalf of many others you don't say something that would alienate some, even less if it's completely unnecessary. And as has been said the 'God' in question is most certainly the Christian, or at least Abrahamic one.

I don't think anyone would argue against that, I mean the Judeo part was shaping history well before that. And I can say with 100% certainty that it influenced the founders of the US, but as you said, that doesn't mean they were necessarily Christian, or that they were founding the nation with Christian beliefs instilled in it.

Several were deists, this is fact.

What Miles said.
    Explain this please?
    Islam is an Abrahamic religion, disgust of it doesn't change that. How is the Koran the complete opposite of the Bible?