In the Beginning Was Napoleon: Game Thread

The present domestic situation in Germany makes it difficult to make commitments to inter-state alliances.

Alright. Maybe next time.

Germany, Hungary, alliance?

I know I may have killed a bit too many diplomats for a secret reason (only Britain and I know currently), so... (comes with a partition of Czechia if at least 2 members want to do so). I may join the Western Commission again if it ends up to that point.

Also sorry Crezth if I caused this game to go chaotic.
Please don't apologize and bless your blazing heart for posting in this thread.

@Crezth is there a particular country you'd recommend, or one that needs badly to be filled?
Hon hon hon.

You'd also not be missed in China, in case you don't want to be the player responsible for taming the world. Again.

Please don't apologize and bless your blazing heart for posting in this thread.
Just the right person I was looking for!
Question: what are my stats? what should I do? is this the right place for posting this? do I have allies? what year is it?

Just the right person I was looking for!
Question: what are my stats? what should I do? is this the right place for posting this? do I have allies? what year is it?
Your stats are on page 1, in a drop-down called National Backgrounds. You are allied with France, Britain, and Spain. The year of the current "turn" is 1920. I will send you a national update by this weekend, explaining your internal situation. Attacks on French diplomats included.

Nice! BTW, can I advertise my IOT on here?

To: Polish Republic
CC: British Republican Commonwealth, others

His Imperial Majesty, Napoleon IV, By the Grace of God and the Constitutions of the Republic, Emperor of the French, is not accustomed to having his civil servants disappeared, murdered, or otherwise importuned, by civilized Western powers.

As the situation in the Polish Republic continues to develop we may be forced to begin dealing with that nation and its would-be rulers as we are used to dealing with colonial subjects, and Oriental warlords. For the time being, His Imperial Majesty's government will consider its embassy in Krakow closed, and a state of emergency for French nationals within Polish borders to be in effect. We are now issuing a warning to whatever faction has taken power in Poland: continued violence towards the French Empire's nationals, threats against our nation's interests, or any other actions that might disturb the European peace, will be responded to by the seizure of the property of Polish businesses operating within the French Empire's borders, the deportation of Polish nationals within our nation's borders, and the seizure more broadly of all assets held by Polish nationals in our nation's banks, as well as a state-mandated boycott of Polish goods.

Do you feel lucky?

To: Polish Republic
CC: British Republican Commonwealth, others

His Imperial Majesty, Napoleon IV, By the Grace of God and the Constitutions of the Republic, Emperor of the French, is not accustomed to having his civil servants disappeared, murdered, or otherwise importuned, by civilized Western powers.

As the situation in the Polish Republic continues to develop we may be forced to begin dealing with that nation and its would-be rulers as we are used to dealing with colonial subjects, and Oriental warlords. For the time being, His Imperial Majesty's government will consider its embassy in Krakow closed, and a state of emergency for French nationals within Polish borders to be in effect. We are now issuing a warning to whatever faction has taken power in Poland: continued violence towards the French Empire's nationals, threats against our nation's interests, or any other actions that might disturb the European peace, will be responded to by the seizure of the property of Polish businesses operating within the French Empire's borders, the deportation of Polish nationals within our nation's borders, and the seizure more broadly of all assets held by Polish nationals in our nation's banks, as well as a state-mandated boycott of Polish goods.

Do you feel lucky?
Do you feel lucky if your nation is being threatened after the death of one man? No. No, I don't feel lucky. How about karmic revenge on you after treating your colonies with authoritarian respect? How about the Africans, Indians, and Vietnamese who suffer under your regime?

From: Bureau of the Ministerium für Auswärtige Angelegenheiten*
To: the Respective Parties involved in the Current Situation

The German MfAA would like to urge caution and de-escalation of the rhetoric being traded here. While the murder of diplomats is reprehensible and a stain upon our civilized European order, this needs to be investigated and dealt with in an orderly matter. Reparations ought to be paid to the families of the murdered diplomats, the perpetrators of this crime must be apprehended by the law enforcement and put before the courts of law, and other suchlike features of just rule.

But, the threat of sanctioning a nation and seizure of private property? That could set off ripples within the international economy and circumscribe free trade, that sweet institution that has brought the world so much benefit. And such a disruption can cause further disturbances within the domestic affairs across Europe, where there are already forces that seek to revise, or even, outright destroy the current status quo and replace it with something different.

We call for concillation, not conflict.

Signed,
August Meyer, Minister.

*[Translator's note: Ministry of Foreign Affairs]

To: United German Republics, British Republican Commonwealth, Polish Republic

While His Imperial Majesty's government has long considered the Polish nation a friend of the French people, the faction, clique, cadre, or cabal, which now purports to speak on behalf of the Polish people talks in anarchistic tones, has admitted to its culpability in the murder of the late M. Bergouis, and has even stated in public forum for all the fraternity of nations to see that his murder was a symbolic act, a blood sacrifice, meant to inaugurate an entirely new Polish nation. We are at a loss for words. Who are these people, and what are their goals? All we can say is that these are acts of terrorism, in flagrant violation of the new world order which we have only recently won, and after years of the type of bloodshed the Poles now seem to want more of.

The French Empire will act unilaterally if it must in order to adopt a posture towards this rogue state which will protect both her citizens, and freedom, liberty, and justice internationally. We invite comment from Europe's great nations and will bear our neighbors and allies in mind as we adjust to this new course of events - but we will not negotiate with terrorists.

Last edited:
The Republican Commonwealth of Britain will provide whatever diplomatic assistance our French comrades require. As we aren't the wronged party in this we don't feel we have any right to speak beyond our extant comments on the unacceptability of murdering diplomatic personnel and any discussion of punishment or reparations should be conducted in Paris, not Parliament or Berlin. We are, of course, concerned about the tragic decline of republicanism in Poland that led to an unstable autocrat seizing power and will gladly support any effort to restore the Polish Republic to its liberal roots.

Elections will be held this weekend, so calm down (I'll let Crezth handle the results)

Dear Napoleon IV (CC: August Meyer, Luigi Umberto, PM of Britain)
I am sorry for the losses we have inflicted upon your nation. To the Bergouis family, we are donating 500,000 (insert whatever currency Poland and/or France uses in this timeline). The murder of Louis Bergouis was a sad one, yes, but please, could our nations stay as brothers? This is also to Germany, Italy (where Boris Kudrezowitsch died), and England. May our nations please stay at peace, and I am sorry to the French, Germans, Italians, English, and Polish who had to deal with this international crisis.
Yours truly,
Janos Kawowski

PS:

Last edited:
Elections will be held this weekend, so calm down (I'll let Crezth handle the results)

Dear Napoleon IV (CC: August Meyer, Luigi Umberto, PM of Britain)
I am sorry for the losses we have inflicted upon your nation. To the Bergouis family, we are donating 500,000 (insert whatever currency Poland and/or France uses in this timeline). The murder of Louis Bergouis was a sad one, yes, but please, could our nations stay as brothers? This is also to Germany, Italy (where Boris Kudrezowitsch died), and England. May our nations please stay at peace, and I am sorry to the French, Germans, Italians, English, and Polish who had to deal with this international crisis.
Yours truly,
Janos Kawowski

PS:

Democracy, liberty, equality, public order - these are all things that the French people have fought and died for, not only for themselves, but so that all of mankind may enjoy the fruits of the highest and most just form of civilization yet conceived. Under no circumstances will we abridge the right of our friends the Polish people to self-government and self-determination. However, if these elections legitimize the rule of this hostile, anti-Gallicist clique, we will be forced to maintain a defensive posture towards the Polish state, and in the intervening time period between now and the elections, we must consider seriously the possibility that Poland is acting, and may continue to act, against the best interests not only of France but of freedom and justice internationally.

Democracy, liberty, equality, public order - these are all things that the French people have fought and died for, not only for themselves, but so that all of mankind may enjoy the fruits of the highest and most just form of civilization yet conceived. Under no circumstances will we abridge the right of our friends the Polish people to self-government and self-determination. However, if these elections legitimize the rule of this hostile, anti-Gallicist clique, we will be forced to maintain a defensive posture towards the Polish state, and in the intervening time period between now and the elections, we must consider seriously the possibility that Poland is acting, and may continue to act, against the best interests not only of France but of freedom and justice internationally.
We are going to cease our attacks on you. Russia though seems like a threat. Maybe an alliance against them?

To: Britain; France

I am deeply concerned about the rise of extremism in Europe, as demonstrated by recent events in Poland, Germany and Russia. Even our beloved Italy is under threat from extremist elements - the so-called Roman Proletarians have camped out in the hills surrounding our capital and plot to subject our citizens to mindless violence!

With respect to last year’s peace agreement, we feel it is responsible for us to state our intention to partially remobilise some of our armed forces in order to deal with the threat posed by these rabble rousers. This proposed partial remobilisation is in no way intended to violate the terms or the spirit of last year’s peace agreement nor should the proposed partial remobilisation serve as a threat to any member of the Western Commission or the French forces currently located within Italy. We only intend to use them for peacekeeping and defensive purposes.

We hope that this proposal is not cause for alarm by any member of the Western Commission and we are happy to answer any questions or concerns that you may have about this.

To: Italy
CC: Britain

We approve of the remobilization of Italian government forces, on the condition that French and British observers be permitted alongside government troops, without interference, harassment, or qualification. These observers will have, under this agreement, broad powers to inform our own government and the British government as to any details of the mobilization and the campaign that they consider relevant. Of course, under the condition that such an arrangement is also acceptable to the British.

To: France, Italy, England
I apologize for my recent behavior. How can I make it up? Also, would it be okay to help you guys against the Russians?

To: Poland
CC: Anyone who cares

We are prepared to forget the murder of M. Bergouis under the following conditions:

1. The Republic of Poland will consent to hold free and fair elections under the observation and direction of a French delegation. Kazowski and other prominent members of his radical faction will be barred from these elections and barred from holding public office in perpetuity.
2. The Republic of Poland will permit French observers to assist in the formation of whatever new government the Polish people elect; these observers will decamp from Poland at a date to be determined once the domestic situation therein is found to be conducive to the continental peace.
3. The Republic of Poland will publicly reaffirm its commitment to the European peace and the Commission world system.
4. The Republic of Poland will publicly reaffirm its military alliance with the French Empire and the British Commonwealth.

To: Poland
CC: Anyone who cares

We are prepared to forget the murder of M. Bergouis under the following conditions:

1. The Republic of Poland will consent to hold free and fair elections under the observation and direction of a French delegation. Kazowski and other prominent members of his radical faction will be barred from these elections and barred from holding public office in perpetuity.
2. The Republic of Poland will permit French observers to assist in the formation of whatever new government the Polish people elect; these observers will decamp from Poland at a date to be determined once the domestic situation therein is found to be conducive to the continental peace.
3. The Republic of Poland will publicly reaffirm its commitment to the European peace and the Commission world system.
4. The Republic of Poland will publicly reaffirm its military alliance with the French Empire and the British Commonwealth.
This seems reasonable. Russia is also asking me to ally with them. France, do you have anything else to offer that Russia doesn't? This could include such propositions as helping me if I invade a nearby nation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom