Instant e-mail notifications have stopped being sent

Sun Tzu Wu

Deity
Supporter
My instant e-mail notifications have stopped being sent about 8 hours ago. I can see several threads where I'm still subscribed get new posts, but I haven't received any notifications. I can see the latest 12 threads I've subscribed to and some of those definitely have newer posts.

Is there anyway I can check to ensure that the notification feature of CFC is still working?

Sun Tzu Wu

Some of have posted about this problem in another thread. At first all my CFC notifications were going directly to spam, but now I'm not getting any at all.

So new members aren't being validated?

EDIT: I found a CFC notification in the spam folder. Still nothing coming through normally.

Any updates on fixing this problem?

Maybe someone started sending out emails with a fake @civfanatics.com address?

I finally did get a couple of notifications - sent directly to my spam folder. So the problem is still not fixed.

As noted previously, the email system has been turned off, until we can fix the problem with our system being hijacked to send spam. We are trying various things, and some emails get sent when we try turning it back on, but as people have observed, the emails will go to spam folders (on gmail at least). We'll let people know as soon as email is restored.

Has it, by any chance, coincided with the reunification of the OT?

Might not be the fault of the CFC mailserver, see http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/28/5355818/gmail-bug-made-some-users-accidentally-delete-emails (although it's a bit older, but since this also includes the "mark as spam" function...).

Got also an email about a PM, not in the spam folder (but not gmail either).
That doesn't make any sense. It says mail sent before January 22 was affected and it's now fixed, but to keep checking spam folders up to February 14 - another week away?

That can't be the problem, since I'm getting all my other notifications from forums, Yahoo! groups, newsfeeds, etc. in the usual way. I'm just not getting CFC.

No - the hosts ISP alerted them to large scale spam originating from the forums.

Ah, 'kay.
Could the "send email to user" function be involved in the problem?

That doesn't make any sense. It says mail sent before January 22 was affected and it's now fixed, but to keep checking spam folders up to February 14 - another week away?

They probably mean you should check your spam folder til that time point (I assume that's the time scale after which the trash in there gets deleted) at least once, if you haven't done it yet, just in case something has ended up in there, which you hadn't noticed before.

That can't be the problem, since I'm getting all my other notifications from forums, Yahoo! groups, newsfeeds, etc. in the usual way. I'm just not getting CFC.

Thought the "mark as spam" function might have added CFC to the problematic group, but as ainwood says, apparently not the case.

Top Bottom