Interface Issues after BUG Install

Here is what I believe to be a working copy of the the install creator, with updated to revision 623. Has the new MA, and the updated Path file, and lets you install it in the mods directory, or the CA directory. It will also install the new BUG Mod dir, but remember to .bak your other files, then delete them after.

So go ahead, and test this out!

Attachments

• BUGMod_222b.rar
    700 KB · Views: 87
slight issue with this new way of doing the ini folder... not only does the Bug Mod.ini have to be in this folder, but so does all the mods .ini's. I tried running Bat Mod with the new format, and the result was CTDs until I copied a default copy of the Bat Mod.ini into the Bug Mod folder.... It may make it difficult for some mod makers to package this with a zip or rar file. Anyway we can make it just Bug specific, so it pulls the other .ini from their respective mod folder?

Other then that, it worked great, and seems to hold all values that I use in my default BUG game... is a good thing in my mind, because that means the settings for all Mods that use our settings will stay the same... no more need to spend forever getting your unit renaming right for each mod.;)

I just got a bad hint from the xml. Hint #3 showed the txt string... and umm... how am I going to package the .zip file myself? I don't know a way to make it extract to different paths for different files.

That's why I am going to write our own trimmed-down version of CvPath. By modifying CvPath, it makes it harder for other mod authors (and our own BAT mod) to integrate BUG. Better to have our own new module (probably BugPath).

Our other option is to assume the folder inside "My Games" is called "Beyond the Sword". The registry is used to find that currently, and that's what is causing the problem -- the missing registry key. Assume the name, and we don't need to look at the registry.

I think I'm going to stick with the previous plan -- put everything into a "BUG Mod" folder. Other mods will continue to use CvPath to find their own .ini files (or use our method if they want).

Going to still be hard to package it in a zip file.

I didn't catch that earlier, but it's a good point. We have to assume the folder name "Beyond the Sword" either in code or in the ZIP. I'd say it's easier to have the user move an incorrectly-placed folder (a la the ZIP) rather than edit the registry or a Python file. So let's go with the separate "BUG Mod" folder.

We'd still be assuming the name "Beyond the Sword", but worse we'd have to assume they have Civ Complete, or can the installer check for an existing registry key first?

Here's the logic:

Code:
If the key "...\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete" (key A) exists and it contains an "INSTALLDIR" value
  If the key "...\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete - Beyond the Sword" (key B) exists but it doesn't contain an "INSTALLDIR" value
    Copy key A's "INSTALLDIR" to key B, appending "\Beyond the Sword" to it.
We have to assume the name "Beyond the Sword" somewhere; there's no way around it. If you install using a different language, does it translate that name into the language? I expect not, but if it does, we need to address that.

I can make an option so if they know they have Civ Complete they can run that version within the installer, and that will update the registry values. I thought it went to the My Docs\My Games\Beyond The Sword by default even for Civ Complete, so the only location we really need to add to the registry will be the new key to allow it to work in Civ Complete, which will not be a problem to let the User check which version they are running.

As for editing the Reg keys, I can find any root key, and the actual program key and subkey. I can change all the values, and also set it to not overwrite existing entries. Send me an IM on Yahoo real quick, and I'll show you what I can do with the program a bit easier.

I read through this and now I'm so confused. I went to that link in the first post but that was more progamming stuff that I'm clueless about. I just want my interface fixed so I can use BUG/BAT...

So I downloaded BAT and installed it to my 'main' Civ4 folder, i.e. c:/games/civ4 etc. No dice - more to the point, no interface. I didn't even know about the existence of the other Civ4 folder in My Games before I read this thread. Then I installed it there. Now it seems to work on a couple of unit skins that have changed, but the interface is still missing.

I know I'm not giving you much to go on here, but as I said this thread has me really confused as to what's what and what you need. :)

This is where I put my second install:
C:\Documents and Settings\Larsen\Mine dokumenter\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS

Inside that folder there's a "BAT Mod" folder, plus the .ini files to both BAT and BUG which I put there.

The first install went here:
C:\Spill\Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods

Only mod folders here.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, so forgive me in advance for wasting your time. (Positive attitude, I know)

:)

See this thread for the current workaround. It involves editing your registry, but its pretty simple.

Check the CTRL-ALT-O options screen though, be sure you can exit it. You may have the string in the registry pointing to Program Files\2KGames and the actual MOD loaded in My Docs\My Games. If BUG cant find its INI file in Program Files\2KGames, you wont be able to close the options screen.

Sorry if this isnt the correct place to ask this question, but I am trying to install the BUG mod and having all kinds of problems. Basically, no interface at all. I have Civ IV: Complete, and it installs the game in "C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe", and then additional information is in "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword".
Actually - the issue that you are having could be caused by installing a copy of Civ4 complete in the US. Its only legally on sale outside of the US which means that ...

Actually - the issue that you are having could be caused by installing a copy of Civ4 complete in the US. Its only legally on sale outside of the US which means that ...
Well, I considered this, actually, I am not a person who supports software piracy in any way, shape or form, but I checked into the GoGamer site, and as far as I can tell, its perfectly legal for them to import copies and re-sell them within the US. I saw a lot of copies of Complete available on eBay and other auction sites from less-than-reputable suppliers, especially in Asia (Thailand, to be specific, seems to have a considerable piracy problem), and did not buy from them despite their low pricing. I even refused to accept the offer from an online friend who lives in Europe to buy it for me and mail it over, because I felt it wasnt proper. I have another friend who actually works at Microsoft who offered to pick me up a copy at the company store (2KGames is owned by MS) and I didnt accept because it felt "wrong". But GoGamer is legit, and I was assured by that same MS employee friend it was perfectly legal to buy my copy from them.

Back on topic, I am fairly convinced the issue lies in the installation of the game itself. If you install BTS through the "normal" method, starting with Vanilla, then adding Warlords, then adding BTS, each expansion will have its own INSTALLDIR line in the registry.

But Complete is considered a single install, and as such, only has a single INSTALLDIR registry entry. The individual expansions are all lumped into one, in fact, when you install Complete, you arent even given an option to install them separately, the only choice is "Install the entire game".

BUG's installer is written with the idea that each expansion has its own INSTALLDIR, and since thats not the case, the mod cannot find the proper files when checking for installations. Blue Marble has a similar problem, since it cannot find Civ IV when you first go to install it, you have to direct it to your .exe file manually.

With the fixes I made earlier today (in SVN now), there is no dependency on the INSTALLDIR registry entry to locate the INI files. We still need to decide if we want the files to live in "My Games\BUG Mod" even when they install as a mod, but that won't change the fact that this bug has been put to bed. :)

A couple other random thoughts. Thailand and most of Asia have no copyright laws, and hence no copyright violation (a.k.a. piracy), but you probably would be breaking U.S. laws bringing the copy into the states. Having a friend buy a legal copy in Europe and mailing it to you, however, can't possibly be illegal or immoral. The law restricting U.S. distribution is merely a contract between the distributor and the retailers -- not a copyright law.

Regardless, I hope you paid full price for BUG and feel you got your money's worth. :lol:

Awesome EF! I think the easiest way to manger the BUG Mod Dir is to have it reside in the My Docs\My Games\BTS folder. Bleys has confirmed that it makes a different My Docs folder for the game, and each expansion pack, so Civ Complete, and I'm assuming Civ Gold, will have this folder to put it into. It will still make it a PITA for a MOD maker to added, unless we did an if statement that would check first the Mod folder for the BUG Mod Directory, and if no located there will go to the root BTS directory. That should allow it to be installed in the CA or MODs directory.

And everyone pays for BUG... didn't they read the little bit I added to the GPL in the installer? At the end they agree to sell us their souls for use of the BUG Mod.:)

The law restricting U.S. distribution is merely a contract between the distributor and the retailers -- not a copyright law.

Regardless, I hope you paid full price for BUG and feel you got your money's worth. :lol:
Thats exactly what my friend at MS said as well, and he said GoGamer was reputable, so it was a pretty good bet that their copies were obtained legally. Overall, it was only 5 bucks more from GoGamer than from my friend at MS with his company discount (I didnt accept his offer because he isnt supposed to do stuff like that for friends) so I jumped on the chance to buy Complete from a reputable source.

I was very happy at the price (slightly more than the Euro versions of Complete), and the product. And I am VERY pleased with this MOD, it saves me a LOT of trouble playing RPCs and such other games, not having to constantly take them into the WB to play as a Scenario with a MOD loaded. BUG has a lot more info than HoF as well. Price was solid too ;)

I didnt accept his offer because he isnt supposed to do stuff like that for friends.

When I worked at Sony, the employee store actively encouraged you to bring in friends and family (it was in the name of the store) to buy stuff. :)

Top Bottom