Interview questions you’d ask for no reason

Why are manhole covers round?
Because manholes are round, so they need to fit the manholes, obviously.

Well then why are manholes round?

Because manhole covers are round and they need to be the same shape so that they fit, obviously.

Manhole covers are round to prevent them falling into the manholes
which is quite a nuisance with heavy traditional cast iron manhole covers.

If an engineer designs a rectangular cover that can fall in the diagonal of the manhole he failed.

Last edited:
If I was to ask a question for no reason, it'd be "What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow", possibly followed up by "What is your favorite color?"
1. Speed of plot.
2. Green. Unless an object should not be green.

Because manholes are round, so they need to fit the manholes, obviously.

Well then why are manholes round?

Because manhole covers are round and they need to be the same shape so that they fit, obviously.
Social media poster job... :shake:

(I originally guessed politician, but then realized that the answer would have nothing to do with manholes or shapes).

#1 FTFY
#2 Totally agree.
Nope, speed of plot. The speed of anything in Star Trek is whatever the author needs it to be, whether it makes sense or not.

Star Trek? :confused:... but its a referen... OK nvm
I have no idea what the original reference is. I'd thought we were joking around.

And the fact is, in Star Trek, when referring to speed, everything happens at the speed of plot. Otherwise the Voyager series would have been over in about 2 months, not seven seasons.

The reference was to Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Oh, that explains why I haven't heard of it in its original context. I don't do Monty Python.

Anecdotal evidence suggests you would be an exception to the rule; there is as far as I’ve seen huge overlaps in Monty Python fans and Star Trek fans.
There are huge overlaps between Star Trek fans and a lot of things.

For instance, the woman who coordinated the fan campaign to save Star Trek from cancellation in 1967 and 1968 was one of the early members of the Society for Creative Anachronism. In fact, during one of their branch meetings (held in medieval costume), the people there heard about a protest going on at the NBC studio. They promptly decided to make a few signs, ditch the SCA meeting, and join the protest... in costume.

Fast-forward about 23+ years, and in my local SCA branch, most of the regular members were simultaneously interested in medieval history, arts, and sciences, Star Trek, Shakespeare, Dungeons & Dragons, literary science fiction, board games, attending science fiction conventions, and some new computer game thingy called Civilization (we were already addicted to the original pre-computer board game put out by Avalon Hill). Back then I was heavily involved in advanced music lessons and Western Board of Music exams in theory, practicals, and composition, and had two home businesses on the go. In addition to that, I was doing a lot of writing, editing, and publishing - newsletters for the SCA group and the local Star Trek society and for the British Television and Film Society, as well as putting out a booklet of filk music.

Monty Python was not on our radar.

I suppose that as a Canadian you might have been mortally offended by the mounties singing the lumberjack song.
Meh. I had to google it, and while I did not think it was funny, I did note that all the singers are on-key, so that's something.

Top Bottom