IO4 - Sex, Drugs, and More Drugs!

Brian - on deck
FGJ
IO
neil - just went
Matrix - up

I have the save. As I said in the SGOTM thread, I can't play today, but maybe tomorrow, and definitely sunday.

Yeah this was totally a move I did not anticipate. What a stroke of luck. With religious neighbors for a buffer, we just bought ourselves some time. But it does make things a bit tricky in that Gandhi was (or is still) the worst enemy of 4 different AIs. That may have changed in your set neil. Having a religious buddy that is also well hated is tough in terms of who to favor with in diplomacy.

However what would be most convenient right now is if both Alex and Ragnar are still WHEEOHRN, it is with each other. :please:

As soon as I saw that Shaka had switched, it was a no-brainer. We needed the extra +1 happiness, if nothing else.

I see no conflict with our diplo relations. As long as we don't go to war with Gandhi, there is no negative for us. He will love us, even though we will treat him like dirt. No open borders, no techs, no anything.

Sucking up to the others paid off though. I was very happy to get maths.
So far, we have traded Aesthetics for Masonry, PH, Meditation & Maths... and the best thing is that 4 of the AI's still don't have it. I was hoping one of them would swap Monarchy for it, and maybe they will.

The other thing about Shaka, is that his power graph is climbing vertically, so sharing his religion is a big plus.

If Shaka's power is going vertical then I expect a WHEOOHRN soon. How are his relations with Ragnar, they were buddy, buddy at the end of my set. The change of religions should dim that a tad.

Its good to mix the order up :)

No extra cities yet, our economy can't afford it.

Tech Calender next, so we can put plantations on 2 resources for +2 happiness. This will allow the cities to grow bigger and start working more cottages.

See if we can trade for Monarchy, as going to HR will also increase our happiness....

If we do build military units, make them Archers to relieve the Chariots & Axes we have on MP duty.

Send ALL chariots to Idiotsburgh. They should get there before he can attack.

Idiotsburgh already has quite a good array of defensive units:
- the Axes will defend against the Swordsmen & Phalanx
- the Spearman will defend against the Chariots
- the Archers will defend once the others are injured enough.

We should be OK, I will be very surprised if Alex has enough units to even take Idioutsburgh.

If he moves the units onto the hill, let him attack us.
If he moves the units to the horses, check the combat odds of an Axe to attack him.

AND START BUILDING AXES !!!

I would!!!

And be careful with the workers.

Also, maybe 1 or 2 more spearmen, just in case he has lots of Chariots

EDIT. We might even be able to get our new Hindu buddy Shaka to DoW on Alex if we bribe him, probably with Aesthetics

War Report

Turn 1:

Everything was going well. We had recently converted to Hinduism after we found the Buddhism bloc being fractured by some of its members joining Hinduism - namely, the ones near us. Thus, we were building monuments to this new glorious religion of ours!

Neiliopolis had finish one such of these, a monastery, and it began work on a temple.

Squaresville, being populated by, well, squares, hasn't got around to findind Hinduism yet, so it had just finished on a Library, and began work on a Granary. Ah, well, I guess that it would still need such basic infrastructure before making any temples. Although, I suspect that they wouldn't make their temples like the rest of the empire does. IE: no ceremonial joints!

We got word of a Spy of Great stature arising somewhere. Naturally, we don't know who or where, but he's like, a spy, right? Comes with the territory, dude.

Ah, infrastructure. I got this one worker to help constructing the farm near Stoner's Lagoon. Cuz, I mean, like, helping others is cool. And they'd get it done faster, meaning more time for munchies!

Turn 2:
Things were still going well. Hamsterdam finished training a Hindu Missionary to spread the word (and the ganja)! I got it to start constructing a temple. I also played with the work plans to help it grow faster. In two turns, in fact. Ah, if I only knew what was coming in two turns...

Dude, what are turns, anyways?

...Nevermind.

Justiciaria finished training a worker. It seemed pretty tight packed over there. So, I have it begin training another. Wouldn't want the city to become overpopulated, ya know? That's just not cool. Not enough weed and munchies for everyone, people start getting sober and angry. Not cool.

I then got news that Zululand had become especially prosperous. They were entering a new age, they told me. So began the Zulu Golden Age, but that's another story. One, incidentally, that I don't know, so, like, let's continue with this one!

Well, the remainder of this turn isn't very exciting, just more infrastructure. A cottage in the vicinity of Hendrixton, and a mine near Idiotsburgh.

Turn 3:

More infrastructure: Yet another mine near Idiotsburgh, and one near Squaresville. A cottage near Hamsterdam.

Then I got our new man of the faith to spread the word to Justiciaria!

Just a curiosity, and I swear I had someone draw it (maybe they used all the paper to roll joints..) but Shaka has Pyramids in his capital! Did we already know this? I'm not sure.

Turn 4:

Well, this is where things just totally took a 180. First thing that happened in this turn is that Alex, who I thought was our good buddy, declared war on us! I was like, "Whaaaaaaat!?"

Well, anyways, Alex brought his troops into our territory near Idiotsburgh, and I had our workers in the vicinity run away as fast as they could. Because I have no idea how to properly wage a war, I asked neil what to do, and I did what he said. I took all our chariots and told them to go to Idiotsburgh. Then I got all our cities aside from Stoner's Lagoon and Hendrixton because they don't do any work, I mean, like, I know that our principles and culture are based on weed and being lazy, but come on, you could at least build something.. uh... oh! I got all our cities aside from them to start training axemen. I even halted construction of the Parthenon for this!

Oh, and I also got the workers around Stoner's Lagoon to start another farm.

Turn 5:

I got news that Gandhi was a king now. I was like "lolwut" and the messenger was like "no srsly"

So, like, yeah. We totally need to get that going on around here. But I don't wanna ask him about it, everyone else is gonna look at us funny if we do! Not cool, man!

Started a cottage near Hendrixton.

Turn 6:

So, I brought this chariot down south from Zululand to help against Alex's forces. Alex decided to sic his entire force on it. Kind of stupid if you ask me. Well, at least his sacrifice bought us some time.

The mine I started south of Idiotsburgh (under no threat from Alex, mind you) was going slow, so I got those guys who ran away from Alex to help with it, get it up faster.

More cottages started, near The Matrix and Stoner's Lagoon.

Turn 7:

The Matrix and Justiciaria finish training their axemen and begin training archers.

Our warrior scout over in Scandinavia spotted Alex's forces! I even had someone draw them..
Spoiler :

Turn 8:

Well, Alex's forces were just outside Idiotsburgh again. I was sure that this would be a decisive battle.

Well, no, he kind of just went around. I was scratching my head at that for hours. I mean, it was stupid, ya know?

The warrior scout over in Scandinavia spotted some swordsmen and phalanx. But they were using all the paper for joints again...

Well, by this time, the workers south of Idiotsburgh are done with their mine, and with Alex's forces now threatening them (maybe that's why he didn't attack the city..) they run away to go help with the mining around Squaresville.

Now, I must have been toking too much before, because I realised that Neiliopolis had resumed construction of the Hindu Temple when it had finished training its axeman at the same time as The Matrix and Justiciaria. I told it to train another one, though I should have done that earlier. Man. :smoke:

Turn 9:

Here's where things start to look up.

Alex finally orders his troops to attack Idiotsburgh. They all die a horrible death. Idiotsburgh's garrison settles down and makes some victory joints!

I get a cottage started in Hamsterdam, as well as yet another mine in Squaresville.

Turn 10:

Yet another mine is started around Squaresville.

The Empire

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

FYI: All non-fortified axemen are to go to Idiotsburgh, unless of course our plans change.

Archer 4 (The Matrix) is en-route to Hamsterdam to be the MP.

When Justiciaria finishes its Archer, just fortify it there.

There are a bunch of workers that haven't done anything yet, with so many, I decided that since my judgement isn't as good as the rest of you, I'd leave it up to the next person or the team in general what to do with them.

The Save

Great report Matrix.

I'm really glad the stack attacked Idiotsburgh, and I am even happier that it already had a good variety of defenders. (he says, very modestly.... ;) )

It would have been a really nasty stack to try and attack, as it had most bases covered. Our Chariots would have attacked the Spearmen & Phalanx... and lost. Our Axes would have done OK, but would have attacked the Chariots.

Workers to chop out the Parthenon, or clear jungle and build cottages.

EDIT. Just had a look at the save....

1. We REALLY NEED to research Calender, to allow all of our cities to grow 2 bigger, and maybe trade the extra sugar we have for even more happy resources.
2. Gandhi will trade Monarchy & Mono for Aesthetics and Maths. This is a really good deal and we should take it, despite the negative we will get for a while for trading with Gandhi.
3. Workers need to get back to Idiotsburgh to help chop the Parthenon.

EDIT 2
Our economy has been crippled. We are losing 2 a turn with 0% research. With only 5 gold, we have 2 turns before our buildings start getting sold.
Disband a few military OR use them to attack something. We are paying 14 gpt in unit costs.

Top Bottom