Is America ready for a female President?

skadistic

Caomhanach
Germany has a female chancalor. Chile just elected a female presicent and liberia just swore in a female president. Other countries too have had female heads of state like India and the UK. So wht not the US? Would you vote for a female president? Why or Why not?

I would like to see a female run and would vote for her if she had what it took. I just don't see one that has what it takes.

Since America is not as progressive (in some ways) as other places, I would FEAR the type of woman who could become president any time soon. You know all the dirty tricks the current candidates play? Well, a female president is (by default) WAY better at those games. Ouch.

I don't decide my vote on the basis of gender. I wouldn't vote for a female candidate just to have a female President. I don't see why I wouldn't vote, however, for a female candidate that was the most agreeable (or least disagreeable) to me politically.

I had many conversations on this exact subject when I was in the States recently. So much so, that when people ask me whether I think there will be a female president soon my answer is: "Like **** there will be".

Sad but true.

Yes, I think America is ready for a female president - the same debate, if country X is ready for a female leader, has appeared every time country X has been close to electing a female president or prime minister.

But I think it helps if the candidate is not too stereotyphical, ie a Conservative woman or African American has a greater chance of being elected than a Liberal one.

Rice would probably be even more dangerous than Bush! She's Bush with a higher IQ and creativity!

Clinton would be a nice one I guess..

For the most part yes. The world is ready for a female president.

I would vote for a female president if they run and have similar views to me. I don't really care if the person is a guy or a girl, I vote for whoever I think will do the best job.

willemvanoranje said:
Rice would probably be even more dangerous than Bush! She's Bush with a higher IQ and creativity!

Clinton would be a nice one I guess..
:lol: :lol: Your right Rice is way to conservative for me.

I think a woman could be elected president. However, it would be extremely difficult, and I doubt that either Condoleeza Rice or Hillary Clinton stands a chance at becoming the first female president - both are far too slandered by the opposing party, which I think would hurt a female candidate more. About 10% of the population would refuse to vote for her no matter what, so she would need a populist, centrist campaign to win. While Hillary Clinton is both populist and centrist, the Republicans have portrayed her as far to the left and a whole election campaign full of it waits for her.

The only woman who would be able to win the presidency fairly easily at the present time is Jennifer Granholm, Governor of Michigan, and she's barred from running as she was born in Canada.

Extremely doubtful. At least, highly unlikely for at least a few elections. Maybe if this country had a few more female Senators, I'd think differently.

No way. Look at the ridicule Martha Stewart, Oprah Winfery, Hillary Clinton get. I'm not a fan of any of them but they are really disliked by males/conservatives.

Cuivienen said:
I think a woman could be elected president. However, it would be extremely difficult, and I doubt that either Condoleeza Rice or Hillary Clinton stands a chance at becoming the first female president - both are far too slandered by the opposing party, which I think would hurt a female candidate more. About 10% of the population would refuse to vote for her no matter what, so she would need a populist, centrist campaign to win. While Hillary Clinton is both populist and centrist, the Republicans have portrayed her as far to the left and a whole election campaign full of it waits for her.

The only woman who would be able to win the presidency fairly easily at the present time is Jennifer Granholm, Governor of Michigan, and she's barred from running as she was born in Canada.
I think it's greater than 10% of the population, but then again, there are many that have formed their views based on whatever attacks are against Clinton (or Rice, for that matter) and might be swayed by plays to the center or right, as Clinton has been doing for a little while now.

I'm not so sure that America can elect a female as President right now. Even though people will speak of Clinton v. Rice, all you ever hear about on the talkshows when it's brought up is "Can a woman be elected President?"

I think it puts a bit of a glass ceiling...or maybe a plastic ceiling (harder to get through than if there were no ceiling but still breakable)...on this whole thing. The debates always include gender, when it should be about issues.

There would need to be more woman governors also. A Senator hasn't been elected President in decades, IIRC.

MamboJoel said:
I hope at least America is ready for another President.

HAHA! good one! Please not Rice though!!!

Top Bottom