Is American culture bad for mental health?

I think the reason for this is because mental health problems are easily identified, and people are a bit open about them.

I think it has more to do with every possible mental idiocynchrosy getting its own disorder and accompanying drug regiment. If drug companies had their way, we'd all be medicated.

I wouldn't say it's 'American' culture exactly, but the culture of consumerism is pretty nasty. Basically, marketing hits you over the head with a hammer, then offers to sell you an aspirin. Most people end up buying way more crap than they really need, just to feel better after getting bombarded with messages of our mediocrity.

I've been of the opinion that American culture is toxic for some time now.

Depression is the effect of a weak mind. People need to get over them selves. Unless its a chemical imbalance ( oft over diagnosed and really makes up for a small section of the pop.) its all about weak minded people who need to toughen up. All these whiny kids who think they have it so bad don't know what depression or despair is. Its not the culture that is bad for mental health its how you as a person react to the culture. Depression rates aren't up Since WWII its just that back in the day you got over your self and bucked up. They should stop feeling sorry for them selves, I sure as hell don't feel sorry them.

Clinical depression is not another way of saying someone is having a bad day. What people usually thinking of as depression does not result in an affected person simply deciding to stay in bed literally until they die, not bothering to eat or drink until they are forced to do so through repeated hospitalization, not bothering bothering to bathe for weeks at a time, not bothering to get out of bed to use the toilet and avoid soiling themselves and their bed. Clinical depression is known to do that. People who are clinically depressed have been known to lay in their own waste for days at a time until hospitalized for an infection because they just stop caring. Clinical depression is not "oh gosh, I feel sad today, I think I'll stay home and watch TV."

I know people who are "clinically depressed" because they feel sad from time to time, or their friend just died.

Cases of clinical depression like that are immensely rare.

The vast majority of people on any type of mind numbing drugs do not need them.

There are a number of characteristics of USA (and crossing the Atlantic -increasingly modern UK) culture that can lead to depression:

1. Money Worship

The culture encourages USA (& UK) people to aspire to be millionnaires,
admire millionnaires and look down on the poor as lazy. But most
Americans are not going to be in the top 10% wealth; the culture
implicitly encourages them to think this is failure - hence depression.

2. Near Universal Car Ownership

In countries where only a few people have cars, people get around by
walking, cycling and public transport. This provides an opportunity to
unwind, exercise and meet other people. Driving in a USA/UK beltway
jam can merely provide stress and adreline release without exercise.

3. Too Much Choice

Choice is good, but it can be stressfull. Market volatility means that
people are always suspecting that someone else is getting a better
deal on insurance, mobile phone, electricity supply than you, while
you are being shafted. In countries where there is no/less choice of
phone/natural gas supplier/tariff, no/less worrying about best deal.

Lesson to learn is to concentrate on the big expenditure items. If it is
less than 2-3% of your expenditure, it really does not matter at all.

4. Cult of Happyness

There is a tendency for people to think that they should be happy
all the time. This is not realistic, and such an expectation is quite
dangerous, encouraging people to short cut with damaging drugs.

Try a five minute break while you drink tea and watch birds go by.

5. Cult of Individual

I should maximise my potential. Being famous/rich, climbing mount
everest, diving in red sea, gaving most glamorous partner, run marathon
swimming with dolphins. Problem is that there is only so much one
can achieve in a lifetime so this is not achievable. Societies which
put more emphasis on the community mean that people can be
happier simply helping each other and being helped by others.

6. I Must Work My Guts Out

Remember most of the wealthy elite look down on you, and will have
you sweating for 60 hours a week in the hope of promotion while they
take the profit and plan to outsource your job to China. Rest of world is
much more realistic and less inclined to believe the big lies put about.

I really don't think many people's last dying thought is that they
should have put more time in at the factory/office.

7. Live within Your Means

If you cannot afford an expensive hobby, adopt a cheap hobby.

There are to me only three valid reasons for getting into debt:
(a) acquiring a good qualification that will lead to a good job
(b) borrowing for a home
(c) paying essential medical bills (USA only)

8. Junk Food

As quite adequately covered by other posters above.

'American culture' doesn't help but I think it's more likely that things are just diagnosed more even when people have such mild symptoms that it is pointless to drug them.

Modern culture ather than American Culture s probably more of a factor in post industrial societies. American food is crap though- virtually every American who has come here seems to like our food for some reason.

EdwardTking's description is pretty good. If American (or Modern?) "culture" can be defined as focusing on the extremes of individuality, freedom, and materialism, it could potentionally explain the allegedly purported "epidimic" of depression, anxiety, and the other various mental disorders. This, however, is kind of based on the assumption that collective thinking/ or religion would make the individual disappear and abate.

In short, yes. American Culture, in large doses, is bad for "health" (and quite possibly makes you liable for hell fire and damnation :) ) But regardless, it's a fun ride I think.

Well...let's pose a question here.

How many people in this community, who read this, actually are focusing on the extremes of individuality, freedom, and materialism? I would fathom a guess that the answer is not one.

And I don't think there are too many people out there over 15 that seek be multi-millionaires, or super models, or any of that crap. Most of us are content to just put together a middle class, or upper middle class existance doing what we enjoy. Whatever that might be.

How many people out there are uncomfortable with their existance as it is? I know I'm sure not, and I don't think I know a single person that is. I think people in general are more stressed out about how their children are growing up, and their environment than anything.

Seriously. Who out there strives to be a millionaire, or a billionaire, or some famous actress, or Maria Sharapova?

Of course, the Amerikanismus is terrible for mental health, and its not equal to true Kultur. :rolleyes:

I believe I was refering to realistic extremes, not unrealistic ones. The point is, that while you may be content, I don't think that's the case for everyone. Not everyone is ultimately content with their middleclass suburb, plastic fantastic, ikea luv sofas and cable televisions bought from the 90's. There are always going to be others who will strive harder to be better, different, or richer by taking advanatage of others. And it's that kind of 'extreme' indivudualism that seperates themselves from communal and familair settings that I was refering to.

Moreover, I think you should stop by New Jersey Middle-class suburbia sometime and see what kind of cut-throats we are raising over here exactly. : D

I dated a Jersey girl thank you very much. A first, and a last.

To an extent, I do agree...but I think our own self alienation does it to us more than anything so far as lack of community. When you look at polls taken about how people see their lives, if they are comfortable and whatnot, the vast majority of them are happy with the way their lives are going. There are real interesting survey's that show 90% of people are happy with their jobs and don't think their bosses or CEO's are curropt, and that their jobs are steady. But that their view of America's landscape is much more negative.

If I'm not doing anything tomorrow I'll see if I can find some of these polls.

I just think it is funny how many experts in mental health there are posting in this thread . . .

Hey everyone likes playing arm chair psychologist, stop ruining everyone's fun eran! :mad:

It's so easy! All you gotta do is name a bunch of crap, throw in the word "society" and "culture" every three seconds, then string together a few words from psychology and BOOM you look like an expert!!!

So only psychologists should be allowed to voice their opinions about what worked from them getting over depression/addiction/bi-polar (whatever) and speculate as to human nature as how best to work with it?

Guess you decided on economics and not philosophy, eh?

So only psychologists should be allowed to voice their opinions about what worked from them getting over depression/addiction/bi-polar (whatever) and speculate as to human nature as how best to work with it?

The first part of your conjunction (talking about what worked for you) is perfectly fine by me. The second part, extrapolating what worked for you to all of human nature seems generally unreasonable to me. That's not to say we shouldn't talk about things like a culture's affect on the individual (generally construed), but IMO it should be more of the sort like "well I read this cool book by noted evolutionary psychologist x where he argued that y", rather than anecdotal generalizations from people with no real training in the relevant areas.

Narz said:
Guess you decided on economics and not philosophy, eh?

No, I think you're just mistaken as to what it is philosophers do (as well as what economists do). In case you're interested, I think I'm going to do philosophy with minors in math/econ so that if I really decide law school isn't for me I still have the econ stuff as an option, yet I can pursue what I'm much more interested now (philosophy).

The first part of your conjunction (talking about what worked for you) is perfectly fine by me. The second part, extrapolating what worked for you to all of human nature seems generally unreasonable to me.
I generally try to aviod doing that. I realize that I'm unique and what worked for me may not work for say, CivGeneral. That said, I think alot of people's insights are sound (like EdwardTking's). I don't fancy I'm qualified to tell others how to live (though I wouldn't pass the buck if someone granted me power to set a few national policies :D) but then again, neither (IMO) is Dr. Phil or numerous such "experts".

That's not to say we shouldn't talk about things like a culture's affect on the individual (generally construed), but IMO it should be more of the sort like "well I read this cool book by noted evolutionary psychologist x where he argued that y", rather than anecdotal generalizations from people with no real training in the relevant areas.
I read somewhere that despite the fact that they probably "should" be swayed more by statistics, the average person is actually swayed more by anecdotal evidence. Perhaps that's why people tend to share it more. Plus it's easier than doing research. :D That said, I'm all about looking into psychological research (not necessarily to prove points to beligerent people on teh Internets but simply because I find it interesting, like that TedTalks lecture you linked me to).

No, I think you're just mistaken as to what it is philosophers do (as well as what economists do).
How so?

In case you're interested, I think I'm going to do philosophy with minors in math/econ so that if I really decide law school isn't for me I still have the econ stuff as an option, yet I can pursue what I'm much more interested now (philosophy).
Good. :) Ever thought about being a writer? People like writers who aren't afraid to be jerks and people love philosophy books (broader appeal than economics books, IMO).

but then again, neither (IMO) is Dr. Phil or numerous such "experts".
You'll get no argument there! You should consider more carefully, though, if some of the self-help people you read aren't just less famous/successful versions of Dr. Phil

Narz said:
I read somewhere that despite the fact that they probably "should" be swayed more by statistics, the average person is actually swayed more by anecdotal evidence. Perhaps that's why people tend to share it more. Plus it's easier than doing research. :D That said, I'm all about looking into psychological research (not necessarily to prove points to beligerent people on teh Internets but simply because I find it interesting, like that TedTalks lecture you linked me to).

That all may be so, but just because people are swayed ore by the anecdotal doesn't mean we shouldn't try to base our generalizations on sound research instead of personal experience.

Narz said:

A philosopher would not substitute introspection for science when it comes to empirical claims (and the components of human nature are definitely empirical in nature).

Narz said:
Good. :) Ever thought about being a writer? People like writers who aren't afraid to be jerks and people love philosophy books (broader appeal than economics books, IMO).

People tend to like "philosophy" rather than philosophy. The former would be like the crap that the new-agers over on NFL like (soul is the eye's I's eternal universal self-actualized being, etc.... basically the stuff peddled by that Josh moron). I'm much more interested in philosophy of the more rigorous and meaningful sort, which the public tends to hate. Even fairly smart people who are all into logic and whatnot tend to think of philosophy more as random skeptical posturings, which is almost as distasteful as new-agerism.

Top Bottom