Is American culture bad for mental health?

It's not the result of measurable imbalances in brain chemistry. It's accompanied by measurable imbalances. The two are hugely different things, which much of the medical establishment has forgotten (in this instance).

IMO depression is a disease in the same sense that alcoholism is a disease. While it does involve some form of voluntary behavior, there's a definite chemical aspect to it as well. Which is why a combination of treatment (be it through drugs, diet change, etc.) and willpower/attitude change are generally required to beat it.

People stack the odds against themselves for depression.

Really, they eat foods or soft drinks that contain aspartame which has been proven to deplete neurotransmitters and create imbalances in brain chemistry.

People consume no omega 3 fatty acids that are required to produce more healthy and happy neurotransmitters.

People overdose on white sugar which corrodes the nerves and creates neurotic, moody behavior(See the book: Sugar Blues)

And then people get stressed out, they run all the B vitamins out of their body when their body tries to cope.. then they eat white flour which runs even more B vitamins out, and then they live in cities which exposes themselves to toxic chemicals that deplete B vitamins and zinc even furthur...

Then they use deodarant with aluminum in it which corrodes the nerve...and use house hold cleaning products that are neurotoxic, and work as solvents to corrode the nerves even furthur, and also cause cancer and chronic fatigue.

Then at the age of 16 their already hopeless... listening to Marilyn Manson, watching MTV, and wondering why their still alive.......so they take some pharmaceutical drug that makes them shoot up their school or commit suicide.

It's a recipe for disaster, the way most people live in this culture.

Just curious, is 50 banned from this forum?

I may have to quit posting if he posts here..

I love American culture. I love mcdonalds.:D

Maybe that's why I suffer from mild deppression.

Mcdonalds contributes to the destruction of the rainforest. No joke, they get their beef from clearcut land that is totally ruined after the cows graze on it.

They also irradiate their food, and cut their burgers with 45% GE Soy.

Also, their food is loaded with addictive preseratives like yellow dye 3 and MSG. And their food never decays or dies either with all the preservatives...

You can literally save their biggers forever and make immortal hamburgers, check it out here - http://www.thebestdayever.com/burger.htm

Really funny, they named one Fred.

Narz is being silly.

Is American culture bad for mental health?

America has a culture? (joke) ;)

Anyway, I think not. The influx of culture is like anything else, you can turn off or walk away.

I find the contradictions in society and culture to be amusing at times though.

Like when people are told to be moral, but also buy more booze, etc.

Oh yes, I did not notice this.

Although I agree with some of the points in the piece, and think our culture is kind of toxic, I don't think it causes depression. Our society is simply over medicated. The fact of the matter is that anyone can walk into a clinic and get a prescription for anti-depressents. "Oh, my dog died." Our children in particular are over diagnosed, and over medicated. It's easier to get your kids on drugs than to let them be kids or slip benadryl into their peanut butter and jelly sammich's.

Depression is generally apart of life. And medications don't help a damn thing getting through life. They just make you numb to it.

I know, there are some genuinely pshychotic, bi-polar types out there. But most depressed people in America are just going through life. We're a nation of convenience, and popping pills sure makes the one year grieving process after losing a loved one a lot easier.

The cold war is over deus, time to pick a new scapegoat. ;)

All right then, I'll update it for him:

amadeus said:
What kind of culture do they want to replace it? Islamic culture?

"American culture" is so varied that lumping it all under one banner ignores entire dimensions of popular thought.

I don't have emotions. What is depression? No, I think the reason for this is because mental health problems are easily identified, and people are a bit open about them. Me? No.

I don't have emotions. What is depression? No, I think the reason for this is because mental health problems are easily identified, and people are a bit open about them. Me? No.

Dude, I can so easily out-android you.

Just curious, is 50 banned from this forum?

I may have to quit posting if he posts here..

I am still here and you'll find that, like me, many posters here are of an intellectual capacity above the average near-catatonic ****** you are probably familiar with at NFL or rawlovers. Hence, this place might not be for you. We do more than say 'HAHA YA *HUGZ* AMERICA IS SO FULL OF TEH S.A.D. DIET LOL *HUGZ*"

Top Bottom