Island cities and maps versus district system

They mentioned during G&K that they wanted to give The Netherlands an ability to reclaim sea tiles, but the engine wouldn't allow for that. So I'm looking at that as a long shot idea that might happen.

Think maybe they may be one of the unannounced civs with a special district?

In a Gamespot article from a few weeks ago Ed mentioned that they had to modify to the Archepelago map to work with the district system. So I would imagine they have fewer 1 tile islands than previously.

It's a possibility that modifying the archipelago map type may lead to single-hex islands but near a continent, or near multi-hex islands or a cluster of single-hex islands so that a single-hex island may be used as a district or that the city may be founded on the single hex with its districts spreading across to the other islands.

Regardless, i hope Firaxis includes Hawaii or some island civ like Phoenicia (tho id still prefer something like Polynesia to fill in that geographical niche) where an empire can fluidly spread across the ocean. This district thing sounds interesting but i don't want it to be an obstacle for gameplay.

I have a feeling individual tile islands aren't going to do much, their only use will probably be to give your planes a place to attack from while fighting across continents, and giving naval units a place to heal.

That won't stop Hiawatha from setting on them though!

Wait, only one type in any city? Or am I misunderstanding? I thought we've seen cities with multiple types.

Anyway, I get what you're saying. The cities will still function. They'll just be small, just like they've always been.

I meant one of each type. So you only really need 3 tiles to build a campus, a commerce center, and say, a theater square. Plus the harbor because you're on an island. So long as you had the sea resources to grow the city to the appropriate size, You're sitting at about 12 population with 4 districts; hardly what I'd call a useless city. Also bear in mind that Ed has said on more than one occasion that the average city will probably have about half of the total number of available districts. The total is 12. "About half' means anywhere from 5-7, on average.

So by that metric, a city with only 4 districts seems quite fine. An island or island chain only really needs to have 4 tiles. So long as these 4 tiles are within a 36 hex range of the epicenter and there are the appropriate amount of sea resources nearby - even a 1 tile city could reach the 12 pop/4 district target that I've described.

Dependent on the bounty of sea tiles/resources, Islands seem perfectly fine.

From what I mostly read small islands were good for trade and forward bases, with the latter already implemented.

Think maybe they may be one of the unannounced civs with a special district?

That's certainly a speculative guess I have. I don't think this would be in the vanilla version because that's a really unique bonus, but I'm guessing they at least made sure to have the engine be able to accommodate tiles changing terrain types mid-game.

Would make sense for Japan to build some districts on cost tiles since they have build artificial Islands and airport's and stuff.

Would make sense for Japan to build some districts on cost tiles since they have build artificial Islands and airport's and stuff.

Learned about hanamachi, geisha districts, today. It could work as a Japanese replacement for the theater district.

Ive been thinking about coastal improvements and districts specifically for cities on a group lf islands. And the largest difficulty i have is thinking of simple requirements to allow the nearby coastal tiles to be improved for islands. But dont let regular cities build them (cuz if all cities can build them then island cities lose their edge). And at the same time dont let a single tile island in the middle of nowhere be too advantageous.

Possible island city
Extra coast District requirements:
1. City has three or more coastal tiles next to it (perhaps 50% water tiles within 3 tile radius is better)
2. Coastal district must border two land tiles.
3. Perhaps only starting from the medieval era or something.

Coast improvements:
1. Perhaps has to border two land districts
2. Could be a fishing or something.

Additionally perhaps the district or improvement could act as a "bridge~road" to represent ferries between islands.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Can't see it being a Japanese trait, but I would love to see a Dutch unique trait where you are able to turn a sea tile into land with a Great Engineer (maybe receive a free one upon researching economics), making settling coast tiles more attractive.

That's certainly a speculative guess I have. I don't think this would be in the vanilla version because that's a really unique bonus, but I'm guessing they at least made sure to have the engine be able to accommodate tiles changing terrain types mid-game.

I could see the dutch having a dike district that can be built on a coastal tile, possibly as a replacement for the industrial district, getting bonuses for adjacent coast tiles.

I have a feeling individual tile islands aren't going to do much, their only use will probably be to give your planes a place to attack from while fighting across continents, and giving naval units a place to heal.

In real life there would be differentiation between temporary outposts (e.g. during wartime, like in WW2 pacific) and permanent settlements/military bases ... since Civ does not feature temporary cities or outposts (e.g. cannot raze self-founded cities in Civ5) and usually penalizes the player for additional cities, players avoid outposts ... although it hurts imagination of leading an empire ...

It may be that the map generator just doesn't create islands smaller than a certain number of tiles. I don't think we've seen any single-tile islands thus far in any of the screenshots or videos.

We have. I made this same arguement in a different thread and people were quick to point out all the times that we DID see 1-tiles islands.

Maybe the solution would be
>You can't settle cities on very small (1-4 tile) islands
>But there is special tile improvement, idk Fishing Town or whatever, that you can build only on very small islands
>They expand borders to one ring of tiles, allowing you to claim sea resources
>They need to be at least 3 tiles away from nearest city

Maybe the solution would be
>You can't settle cities on very small (1-4 tile) islands
>But there is special tile improvement, idk Fishing Town or whatever, that you can build only on very small islands
>They expand borders to one ring of tiles, allowing you to claim sea resources
>They need to be at least 3 tiles away from nearest city

Actually, perhaps expand that idea to colonies. 1 tile radius, no growth, no production.
can be used as forward bases, resource gathering station and trading posts. Do not count as cities. Perhaps you can buy defensive buildings and units there but I suppose it will be vulnerable.

It should be no problem to adjust map-scripts to not produce 1-tile-islands or to simply add a method to remove all 1-tile islands from a given map ...

1-tile-islands probably will mostly occur in user-made maps (using the map-editor) like Giant Earth Map and will often represent real (groups of) islands ... so they add to the immersion of a scenario ...

I suppose that human players are intelligent enough to handle 1-tiles-islands ... the devs should teach AI to do so, too ...

We have. I made this same arguement in a different thread and people were quick to point out all the times that we DID see 1-tiles islands.
Where? I just looked through all the screenshots and all six videos, and the smallest land mass you can see directly was the ~23 tile island north of Xi'an in the E3 presentation.

[edit] There are a few smaller smaller groups and single tiles in the minimaps, but we don't see them directly, and can't be sure whether they're islands or something like natural wonders.

On those three maps (presumably that's usual "Continents" script) I can only see 3-4 very small islands, far less than on analogic civ5 maps. I like this change, even in civ5 very mall islands were too often given how useless they usually were.

Top Bottom