• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Island of the Three Legged Sicilians -- A Death & Taxes EU3 AAR

Chapter 12 - Reign of Martino II d'Ivrea

Without any doubt, the Palermo Times gave the late Carlo II d'Ivrea the epithet, 'the Reformer'. However, among many Catholic countries, such as the ones in Northern Italy, he became known as 'the Devil'.

Martino II d'Ivrea was unlike his father. While Carlo II was a great diplomat and administrator, Martino II was a warlord.

In 1486, a bright natural philosopher arrived in the King's court in Napoli. A prodigious mind named Leonardo da Vinci the court said. The Kingdom's research in the natural sciences was sorely lacking, and Martino II felt that Leonardo could remedy that.

With the State running more and more centralized, Martino II d'Ivrea could issue more decrees, especially on piracy, which had been a long running problem for all the Mediterranean countries.

Martino II d'Ivrea also desired the state to be even more centralized, even at the expense of some of the realm's stability.

Martino II's brainchild decree was the 1488 Militia Act, which put the King at the head of all the nation's armed forces, which improved the strength of the state and discipline among the armed forces.

However, Martino II d'Ivrea's reign would be quite limited. The King fell ill and died, leaving his 12-year-old son, Francesco, as his heir under the guidance of a regency council.

This is how the empire looked like on New Year's Eve, 1491.

This, gentlemen, this is proof that a kind and loving God exists.

Chapter 13 - The Reformation and the Kingdom -- The Early Reign of Francesco I d'Ivrea

The headlines of the Palermo Times and the Naples Courier both expressed deep admiration for King Martino II d'Ivrea, whom both dispatches dubbed 'Ironside'.

Sicily was already the second largest economy in the known world in 1491, and the largest in Europe; only did the great Ming Empire have more earnings. Due to the wealth concentrated in the northern provinces of Italy, that number only stood to increase.

In the late 15th century, the Sicilian Kingdom fought a large war with the Byzantine Empire. Containment of the Byzantine Empire was one of the Kingdom's ambitions ever since the state became powerful; the Byzantines posed a threat to the stability and Sicilian interests in the Greek peninsula. Moreover, the historically powerful Byzantine navy was the only navy larger than Sicily's. Hence, the Byzantines were a natural competitor of the Kingdom.

During the regency of King Francesco I d'Ivrea, the Byzantines sensed a weak time for the Sicilian Kingdom. However, the armies of Sicily proved competent and the navies were able to prevent excessive harassment of merchant vessels.

This would not be the last war the upstart Sicilian Kingdom and the historical Byzantine Empire would fight. In fact, a series of events would occur such that they became allies, if not explicitly, then implicitly.

However, during the course of this particular war, the Sicilians were able to wrest control of the core province of Edessa, in the north of Greece. Byzantium had come into possession of Edessa after the demise of the Serbian Kingdom in the 15th century.

By the end of the conflict, Francesco I d'Ivrea (3/6/5 [A/D/M]) had reached his majority and fought bravely in Greece. Although Francesco I was not quite the warlord his father was nor the bureaucrat his grandfather was, Francesco I forged his own legacy.

Shortly after the conclusion of the war with Byzantium, a major event occurred in Ulm: the Protestant Reformation. The Bohemian monk Ladislav Boleslav, working in Ulm, published his 96 Theses on the door of the Ulm cathedral, which triggered the events that lead to the Reformation.

On the home front, more minor states were militarily added to the Sicilian sphere, such as Epirus, of whom Messolonghi was also annexed.

Francesco I d'Ivrea stood ready to begin the conquest of Northern Italy.

However, some important news was dispatched to the young King shortly before the start of his campaign.

The Greek province of Larissa had most of its citizens, Greek and Sicilian alike, convert to Protestantism. The Archbishop of Larissa was capture and tarred and feathered in the main city square.

Francesco I faced a dilemma. Either he faced growing opposition in the increasingly Protestant Greek counties or swim with the current--several nations had converted to Boleslavism. Moveover, decades of estranged diplomatic relations with both the former Italian Papal States and the current German Papal States were insurmountable.

Francesco I immediately called off any further military action, much to the chagrin of his generals but much to the happiness of his advisers back in Napoli. The King returned to his palace and discussed the matters at great length with his chaplains and other high ranking church officials. The Archbishop of Napoli, among others, supported converting to Boleslavism to formally cut off any connections to the Papal States.

"Larissa will not be the only province to experience such an insurrection, my Liege. A great wave of religious zeal and fervor is approaching; I just pray that we can navigate the State through the rapids of this Reformation," said the Archbishop.

The King was convinced that spurning Catholicism was the only possible path which the Sicilian Kingdom would survive.

However, not all were so keen on spurning Catholicism this quickly. The Lombard Archbishop of Pisa dispelled Boleslavism as merely a "wave of heresy" and Catholic matters will quickly return to normal. The Archbishop, though, was the in the minority and all of the Sicilian Archbishops of southern Italy and Greece were advocating adopting Boleslavism.

The young King then took to the balcony of his Neapolitan palace along with the residing Archbishop, whom, in front of several thousand Neapolitan citizens, announced that the King and many Archbishoprics would convert to the ways of Boleslavism. This announcement was met with mix reaction. The King knew that the people would not be won over in a way, but the fight to bring religious harmony would only be beginning.

The real reason that I converted to Protestantism is that it is the superior religion for production and tax bonuses, which most economies are based upon. Let's be honest, Sicily is not a trading power, the way I have it set up. Hence, converting seems to be a good move.

Moreover, as I have been hinting, the Pope is not my best friend. Hence, the possibility of excommunications (which are a major malus for Catholic rulers) was another reason I converted.

Thirdly, which ties directly with the previous reason, I was not going to control the Curia anytime soon. Not only did I pass the Restraint of Appeals (which kills your Papal influence) but relations have been very negative (which does the same). Moreover, I'm going to move to being more innovative, rather than narrowminded, which is another penalty to Papal influence. Without any possibility of gaining control of the Curia, and not being able to be a truly powerful Catholic country, Protestantism made sense.

The obvious drawback to converting is that I lose a ton of stability and which will drain my coffers and it will take a long time to bring religious harmony to Sicily. However, given the reasons above, the potential benefits, especially in the long run, were with Protestantism and not Catholicism.

In the next update, we'll (obviously) be focused on converting the nation!

I still love how Paradox was so generous to give Protestants a +1.00 to tolerance of heretics. How is this going? It's a great read since it's a playthrough of the best Italian Renaissance state.

I still love how Paradox was so generous to give Protestants a +1.00 to tolerance of heretics. How is this going? It's a great read since it's a playthrough of the best Italian Renaissance state.

He's playing D&T; the tolerances have been adjusted by the modders iirc.

A very much delayed update is finally here...

Chapter 14 - Later Reign of Francesco I d'Ivrea

So, on 26 May, 1502, the Kingdom of Sicily officially converted to Protestantism.

A major benefit that I didn't list about (mostly because I forgot about it...) is the fact that you get the Conquest of Rome benefit! My prestige and missionary rate go up greatly.

Later, we also get a new adviser. An upstart political philosopher by the name of Niccolo Machiavelli. We hire him immediately.

Protestantism spreads naturally south to Athens, making my job easier.

Moreover, my crack missionaries starting converting provinces like clockwork.

etc.

Unfortunately, the untrustworthy Byzantine Empire sensed that I was at a weak point, and declare war!

My navy, which I had been quietly constructing through the peace times was up to the challenge, quickly sinking the main force of the Byzantine navy. For once, Sicily achieved naval hegemony over the Mediterranean!

Without any naval threat, I was able to blockade all of Byzantium's port, which in EU3, unlike in other Paradox titles (I'm looking at you, Victoria II), severely cripples a nation's economy. Without money, the country can't pay for troops, which increases ease and speed of sieges, which increases war weariness, which aids in victory.

My land armies landed in Thrace, led by King Francesco I d'Ivrea, and were able to rout any army units present.

Unfortunately, the Byzantines were able to occupy most if not all of my Greek possessions.

But I got some help. Austria, who'd been busy fighting her own war, came to my assistance.

Due to the meteoric downfall of the Kingdom of Hungary, Austria had no trouble picking apart the scraps that were left of it, and I was able to secure a very favorable peace deal.

With Austria's assistance, the war was turning around: the Byzantine army had been mostly eradicated, my forces were desieging Greece and laying siege to Byzatine territory.

Anther helpful occurrence was Battlefield Commissions, my new national idea, which helps my generals become even better, making my troops fight better too.

The four year war came to an end when it became clear that Byzantium would be able to fend off both Austria and myself. In the peace agreement, I forced them to become Protestant with me. Can you imagine the Greek Byzantine emperor now a Protestant? :lol:

After the war, Leonardo da Vinci became awesome.

We also get a free core in southern Albania, which will be obtained later in a minor war.

In one of Austria's pointless wars, the powerful Sicilian navy scored another major victory against the combined Prussian and Lithuanian fleet in the Baltic.

In 1517, this is the religious picture of Europe. Saundersianism hasn't had much time to expand, but it is getting large amounts of support in Saunders' native England. More importantly, almost all of the Sicilian provinces have converted to Protestantism, a major boon to the stability of the realm.

Government tech 22 comes in, allowing administrative monarchy.

Francesco I d'Ivrea lives a full live and dies in August 1521. He will be remembered the conversion away from the heathen Catholic religion and converting to Protestantism. Hence, the Palermo Times have dubbed Francesco I d'Ivrea "the Blessed".

Francesco's son, Pietro IV d'Ivrea, was a child prodigy. Sicilians everywhere are thrilled to have such a competent ruler to lead them to glory and, perhaps, unite the Italian peninsula under the Sicilian eagle!

Chapter 15 - 1st Italian War

Pietro IV d'Ivrea had several goals in mind when he ascended to the throne of Sicily, as is normal for ambitious rulers.

His first goal was to achieve religious stability and harmony among the counties. This would ensure that the nation wouldn't collapse from a rebellious faction, for instance. This wouldn't be terribly difficult to achieve due to massive strides by his father in converting the people of Sicily away from the Catholic Church to the Sicilian Church.

Second, and perhaps the most ambitious of the lot, was to expand Sicilian rule to the city of Milan and the rest of the Po River valley (the Polands).

Next was to reform the military and state. The military had undergone a period of stagnation from a lack of major war; all wars fought were either brief or against minor states. Capturing the Polands would require a modern military since Milan was allied with several minor powers in Europe, while Sicily only possessed a flimsy alliance with Austria.

Another goal, though not as important as the ones above, was to expand ethnic Sicilians northward; to create ethnic homogeneity in Italy.

Pietro IV's advisers quickly told the King that he could pass judiciary reform, to which the King assented.

A settlement policy was enacted in Ancona, to displace out the smelly and uncivilized Umbrians.

Pietro IV's desire for military reform was achieved when new military techniques were pioneered by someone named Maurice.

The King also continued the trend of freeing the peasantry from their land, which, unfortunately, destabilized the realm temporarily.

Religious harmony was achieved when the peoples of Vlore, the last, embraced Protestantism.

The entire Kingdom was now Protestant!

Our ally Austria sends a courier that they are declaring war on Venice. Sicily, valuing Austria's military strength and convenient geographic location, assents to the war, but does not commit troops as Austria is quick to dispatch the Venetians.

More skilled advisers are being born in the realm, including those with period-ahistoric names. The King referred to Damat Ibrahim Pasha as "Giuseppe" for convenience and period-accurate flavor.

Pietro IV's plan for his top objective, securing the Polands for Sicily, had come together. The Sicilian army would strike at Ferrara, annexing it, and annexing any more Poland counties it could secure. However, Venice, England, Savoy, Milan, Genoa, and Mantua formed a coalition against the Kingdom.

Ferrara was occupied with the utmost of ease...

...and then subsequently annexed.

However, after the fall of Ferrara, the two sides remained in a standoff. The Sicilian Army would about half of the Coalition armies, but the Coalition remained defensive for the entire length of the war.

Due to a truce, Austria could not immediately enter the war. But after Austria's entrance, the standoff was resolved, and several major military victories were had. For example, the massively successful Battle of Verona, which would be the turning point of the war for the Sicilian and Austrian armies.

Verona was then occupied, along with Brescia not too long afterwards.

Sicily was able to demand these two provinces from Milan in exchange for peace, which mean that Milan now laid on the border region with Sicily; Pietro IV's prize was now literally within eyesight.

Sicily, with nothing left to fight over, conceded some prestige to the Venetians in exchange for peace.

And hence concluded the 1st Italian War. Pietro IV knew he has to fight several more Italian Wars to be able to undisputed ruler of Italy. But his ambition had not be satisfied...

Top Bottom