Isramod - Israel as playable civ

I think the merkava tank would be awsome but this looks like an ancient Israel mod so i would have to go with the slinger and david and soloman as the leaders so as to leave polotics out of this.

Much as I like dabbling in hebrew phoenetic spellings, I would have to agree with jcricket... Hebrew is not a supported language, and the english spelling is what should be used in the english translation.

Now if you are feeling extremely ambitiuous, you could always try to mod in a Hebrew translation...

And I still favor David and Solomon for the leaders... Saul was a failure, Jonathan never got to be king, and aside from Hezekiah and Josiah and a rare few others nobody after Solomon was worth much mention... plus that whole divided kingdom business... and given that ten tribes are not represented in modern isreal, I don't favor a modern leader no matter how worthy they may be of "honorable mention"...

That said, and admitting up front I'm not an expert here, but I'm curious... was the original spelling of the word that got transliterated to "jerusalem" spelled with a sin or a shin? I'm just wondering if the current "correct" pronunciation matches up with what's written in the OT...

RH

If my memory doesn't fail me, the origin of the name is a combination of "הר ה' יראה" and "שלם", so I do belive it was spelled with shin. But I'm far from being an expert either.

Thanks... although I'll admit I'm having transliterating in my head one of those characters in the first word (left to right)... I've got the resh, aleph, he, and yod IDed... but what's the "appostrophe" after the second he... or is that actually an apostrophe?

Oh, and how do you get hebrew characters to show up in the forum like that? Is it a font in advanced mode or something?

RH

No, just typing it :)

The whole phrase is:
"Har (hill) hashem (God) yerar'e (appears/sees)"
According to Torah it was the name given by Abraham after near-sacrifice of his son Isaac, as a proof of his faith in God.
Since we cannot pronounce (or type, in this case) God's name we use hey with apostrophe as abbreviation for "hashem" ("the name").

War chariot? come on - " dont trust the horses of egypt " ring any bells? :)

Personally, I like Hezekiah, but I dont think that he is a very well known name so perhaps not the best choice.

thirdly, I don't own civ4 and the demo crashes on city screen so it may be a while before I am remotely in a position to play this mod..if ever. :/ so take my suggestion with that in mind:) But I would love to play israel.

Also, another starting tech - perhaps Alphabet (or whatever leads to alphabet seeing as I Am not familiar with civ4 tech tree). Seriously! I read something recently where there was some form of proto-alphabet used by a semitic people in the sinai, somewhat based on heiroglyphics but actual letter->sound and not letter->concept alphabet.

Besides which, isn't aleph bet, you know, hebrew? :D

Mt. Moriah (Temple Mount) is very much in Jerusalem, otherwise what do our palestinian friends fight for? ;)

why dont you make this an ancient and modern Israel mod? Both are needed in the game

JCricket said:
Mt. Moriah (Temple Mount) is very much in Jerusalem, otherwise what do our palestinian friends fight for? ;)

Hmm how did I forget that... must be brain drained or something...

Found a good one the other day... hope you all like it too...

RH

Moshe goes to see his Rabbi. "Rabbi, last week I missed saying grace after meals."

"Why," asked the Rabbi.

"Because I forgot to wash my hands before the meal."

"That’s twice you’ve broken the law but you still haven’t told me why."

"The food wasn’t kosher."

"You ate non-kosher food?" asked the Rabbi.

"It wasn’t a Jewish restaurant."

"That makes it even worse," said the now angry Rabbi. "Couldn’t you have eaten in a kosher one?"

"What, on Yom Kippur?"

azzacanth said:
War chariot? come on - " dont trust the horses of egypt " ring any bells? :)

Personally, I like Hezekiah, but I dont think that he is a very well known name so perhaps not the best choice.

thirdly, I don't own civ4 and the demo crashes on city screen so it may be a while before I am remotely in a position to play this mod..if ever. :/ so take my suggestion with that in mind:) But I would love to play israel.

Also, another starting tech - perhaps Alphabet (or whatever leads to alphabet seeing as I Am not familiar with civ4 tech tree). Seriously! I read something recently where there was some form of proto-alphabet used by a semitic people in the sinai, somewhat based on heiroglyphics but actual letter->sound and not letter->concept alphabet.

Besides which, isn't aleph bet, you know, hebrew? :D

The alphabet tech isn't as powerful as it used to be, but it's still useful. And it would be a very good choice for a starting tech, actually, since the Hebrew alephbet was one of the very first to have been developed... Considering that the patriarchs were shepherds, after all, maybe that would mean the starting techs should be animal husbandry and alphabet?

Oh and I believe the phrase you want was Deut 17:16 "But he shall not multiply horses to himself" with the fairly obvious interpretation that the Isrealites were not to rely on chariots but on God for their protection. So yea I definately thing war chariot is a VERY bad choice for UU... no offense intended of course... but I would recommend just about *anything* else...

The slinger idea isn't actually bad, there's a lot more than just David & Goliath, there's also the Benjamites, and plenty of others. Although by David's time they were mostly archers... Here's an idea. Instead of replacing archers with slingers, replace axemen! Ancient isreal didn't really have much in the way of blacksmiths or high-tech weaponry of the day, but they were very good with bows and slings... so why not replace one of those with slingers? This more accurately represents the history of the country... maybe even have swordsmen replaced with axemen to better represent the way the melee weaponry hung back for quite some time... and maybe even boost the archers and axemen UU as well... I'm pretty sure you can have more than one UU for a civ, so why not really go to town and do it "right"?

Since that looks like it's getting confusing, let me diagram...

Axemen -> Slingers (true UU -- give the best bonuses here)
Swordsmen -> UU version of Axemen
Archers -> maybe slighly upgraded (probably vs mounted units)
Warriors, Spearmen, Longbowmen, and Knights unchanged

I would say that ancient and modern isreal should have separate civs if you decide to include both. If so, the merkava tank does make sense for the UU for modern isreal...

As for Hezekiah, he was a very important king in many ways, but yeah he's not going to be terribly well known outside of Jews and those few Christians who actually read their whole Bibles instead of just their favorite misinterpreted scriptures in Galatians, Romans, etc...

RH

Hi all,

Considering Israel's history and considering modern Israel to be, sort of, a successor of ancient Israel the UU debate should be quite clear. There haven't been any real UU in ancient Israel and the country never rose to such powerfull proportions as it's contemporaries, like Babylonia, Egypt, Rome etc. What we can say for sure though is that the modern Israeli army is without a doubt considered to be one of the best trained and most efficient armed forces on the planet. The Merkavah tank is a good idea but nobody has mentioned the Israeli Air Force which is impressive indeed. A good UU idea would be an upgraded modern fighter (you could call it the IAI Lavi or something). The fighter should seriously increase chances of intercepting enemy aircraft and even have superior air-strike skills.
What do you think?

Regards to all

Any idea when this will be updated with a new UU? I'm waiting to add it to my Mod, but am holding off until something other than war chariot comes along. :)

I have an idea for a uu for israel, the maccabee as the new reskined javelineer unit. The unit could be reskined again to have the star of david on his shield. Take a look at the new reskin in the unit forum.

special unit - Chashmonee insted of warrior?

chashmonee Translation: "cash money":lol:

Considering Israel's history and considering modern Israel to be, sort of, a successor of ancient Israel the UU debate should be quite clear. There haven't been any real UU in ancient Israel and the country never rose to such powerfull proportions as it's contemporaries, like Babylonia, Egypt, Rome etc. What we can say for sure though is that the modern Israeli army is without a doubt considered to be one of the best trained and most efficient armed forces on the planet. The Merkavah tank is a good idea but nobody has mentioned the Israeli Air Force which is impressive indeed. A good UU idea would be an upgraded modern fighter (you could call it the IAI Lavi or something). The fighter should seriously increase chances of intercepting enemy aircraft and even have superior air-strike skills.
What do you think?

I would agree with you , except for the fact that such a UU would not match the leaders of the Israeli civilization. If these are leaders from ancient times , it doesn't make sense to have their UU a modern-day military unit.

well, bismarck and frederic have never seen a panzer
FDR and washington have never seen a navy seal
Napoleon have never seen a musketeer
Mao have never seen a Cho-ko-nu

it's never a matter of leader....it's a matter of unit

I'm surprised neither Moses nor Abraham have been mentioned as potential leaders. Or better yet, Joshua, with an early infantry unit that can also bombard enemy defenses with their mighty instruments and voices (a la Jericho).

The infantry unit should be the equivalent of a swordsman (6? attack I think) with the additional ability to bombard enemy defenses for 10-20% per attack.

Moses, Abraham, and Joshua never led an established nation. Abraham founded the Jewish religion and is the ancestor, according to religious accounts, of the Jewish people, but he never ruled a nation. Moses, though he did lead the Jewish people through Sinai, never entered the land of Israel and only led the people when they were nomads. Joshua, while in Israel, was not the leader of a settled kingdom and thus is disqualified. The first real ruler of Israel would be King Saul. My personal choice for leaders would be King David and King Solomon with Golda Meir as a possible modern leader. Slinger would be a good UU, and I think RobHunt has something with replacing the axeman. Also, if this is meant to be a hybrid of modern and ancient Israel, then Tel-Aviv should be the second or third city on the list (have not downloaded yet so I don't know what is on the list but it says in the 1st post that the citys are ancient based).

Top Bottom