1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

IV or V? Or nothing at all?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Metal Bunny, Dec 21, 2010.

?

What will or have you done?

1. I have gone back to Civ IV

139 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. I am sticking with Civ V

128 vote(s)
    34.5%
  3. I am thinking of going back to IV

46 vote(s)
    12.4%
  4. I will stop playing all together

42 vote(s)
    11.3%
  5. I don't have both copies of the game

16 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

These are valid arguments. Not that I would agree with Civ4 being overwhelmingly complex, but this is your view at it and I can't argue against your view.
    And actually, I think a lot of people are sharing your view.

2. Arsenic Steel

Arsenic Steel Warlord

It is possible to derive more pleasure from a game made 5years ago than a game made 5months ago. Some folks like CoD:MF1 over MF2, GTA 3 over 4, GTA 4 over 5, Neverwinter Nights over Dragon Age, etc the list can go on because increasing the increment of a franchise does not unquestionably increase any given player's enjoyment.

3. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Deity

Back to civ IV. My daughter also plays IV. She has tons of fun with the in-game worldbuilder but it doesn't exist in V, so V is not an option for her at all. I had a civ break between V and the patch, then tried V after the patch, IV, and had fun with IV and not with V so I stick to Civ IV.

4. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Justice guaranteed

New =/= better. Progress is not linear. ;)

5. Standup

Standup Chieftain

Gone back to Civ IV with mods (don't think that was an option) as CIV crashes too often on my setup and is just a bit boring really. The patch helps but still don't find I have enough decisions/things to do.

6. JoshC

JoshC Chieftain

I feel civ 5 has a lot of broken features. like no multiplayer lobby, no worldbuilder?? and its really hard to find information during the game about your statistics, since u have to rely on random popups. and the civopedia has vague, inaccurate information.

7. arosenberger

arosenberger Chieftain

I went back to Civ IV ROM-AND two weeks after 5 came out. I check on civ V's progress every so often, but won't get serious until the modders and patches get through with it. I'll probably go back in ~2 to 3 years . I should have waited for the gold edition to come out.

8. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Deity

To be honest, there is a worldbuilder in Civ V, but it's an external program, so it can be used to create a map. It cannot however be used to alter the game during play (although Tuner is said to be able to do that, but unreliably if you want to change terrain, and it's an extraordinarily complex way to do it compared to IV).

9. Ramesses

Ramesses Ruler. Visionary. Pimp.

I've stopped playing Civilization altogether, but I plan to go back as soon as most of the outstanding bugs have finally been resolved.

10. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Deity

I don't get it. Most Civ IV bugs have been resolved already.

11. Portent

Portent Chieftain

Voted for Civ 5.

Been playing since the first one, all have had their flaws, so i'm going to wait and give Civ 5 a chance.

12. Ramesses

It's a bit complicated to explain, but I'll try. See, as unrefined as Civ V is, I still enjoy a lot of the things that make it different from IV. Because Civ V did in fact fix a lot of stuff I hated, while breaking a lot of stuff I liked. So either way, it's like playing a broken version of the other game.

If you don't understand that logic, don't try to figure it out, lest your head asplode. :crazyeye:

13. Arsenic Steel

Arsenic Steel Warlord

When logic is sound heads don't asplode.

14. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Deity

The issues with Civ, IV or V, aren't so much bugs, except in MP.
    They are design issues, balance issues, and AI weaknesses. A bug is a mistake that can be fixed. I don't share your optimism about V being fixable in patches.

15. Ramesses

Fine, line of thinking, not logic. Happy?

Not patches. Mods.

16. manu-fan

manu-fan Emperor

Civ 5 all the way baby.

Cheers.

17. JoshC

JoshC Chieftain

the main thing is the AI. it just isnt hard playing against it. the AI cant handle the 1 unit terrain, city states, etc

you had to have played civ 4 for a year to really make a comparison..

18. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I am very much liking Civ V. So I'm going to stick with it. I was getting a tad bored with IV anyway, so something new to play with is a better option regardless of the comparative merits of each. And even if I was sick of the core Civ V game (which I'm certainly not), there seem to be lots of mods to play with before I'd give it up.

19. Shoes

Shoes Warlord

Well I would have to say Civ 4. I like the way you actualy have to think a little while playing. Other then that Civ 5 removed religion, health, SoD, Tech trading... all of which I loved, plus when I play Civ IV I can win 3/4 on Noble, with Civ 5 I won 100% of the games I played on the hardest dificulty.

PS: IF YOU SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THOSE TECH PACTS AS A ARGUMENT FOR TECH TRADING IM SERIOUSLY GONNA KILL YOU!

20. Ermak-

Ermak- Prince

It doesnt matter if you go back, you already paid for civ v. So evil Sid wins.