Jake Solomon on his journey from underqualified graphics programmer to master strategist

Gorbles

Load Balanced
Bit of a curveball but didn't know where to put this. It's a good journey through Jake Solomon's time with Firaxis.
I love gamesdev history, especially when it's straight from the devs, so this was a bit of a treat.

Moderator Action: Moved to a separate thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love gamesdev history, especially when it's straight from the devs, so this was a bit of a treat.
Did you see the video The J posted over in the Old World forum with Soren Jonson addressing the GDC?

Did you see the video The J posted over in the Old World forum with Soren Jonson addressing the GDC?

I did, yeah! Good stuff.

EDIT - wait, I was thinking of something else. Didn't realise the GDC talk was on YouTube already. So thanks again - going to be watching this one shortly.

I think I might make a thread based on it, on core principles of 4x design. Here in OT, not over in the Old World forum.

Drop us a linky if you do.

Bit of a curveball but didn't know where to put this. It's a good journey through Jake Solomon's time with Firaxis.
I might move this into a separate thread in ....er... probably the Civ3 forum tomorrow or so, I think it's worth it :).

I might move this into a separate thread in ....er... probably the Civ3 forum tomorrow or so, I think it's worth it :).
Okay, I've now read through the news article, and plugged this into CivRev, since Jake says himself that he's not much of a Civ guy, but apparently he did more work on CivRev than on Civ3. And we don't have a Midnight Suns forum, so here it goes.

Interesting read, but somehow a bit depressing. No matter what he did, besides Midnight Suns, he seems to not have a high opinion of himself. It's good to be critical of oneself, but not everything can be bad, especially with such a career.

EDIT: Main site news item to come in a minute.

Top Bottom