January 2024 Challenge Robot Revolution DISCUSSION THREAD

Does it matter though?
A GDR has anti-air defence, so getting your own GDR from the Automation Warfare(?) golden age dedication and securing uranium is strategically better.
I disagree, getting two biplanes was the best thing I did. Hitting for 18 damage vs 4-6 from cities/ ranged meant I could spam settlers much quicker.

I should have gotten more biplanes, any other unit is pretty useless save mounties for parks.

Jet fighters rip up GDRs, unfortunately I got them with only 12 turns left (bad placement on culture tree). These could clear the other islands and continnents pretty quick for a mass expansion if I got them sooner.

You only have 100 turns so getting cities quick is key. The free GDR is helpful, but it's not much stronger vs other GDRs and takes retaliation between turns.

Other tip, you are Canada, sell your oil.

I disagree, getting two biplanes was the best thing I did. Hitting for 18 damage vs 4-6 from cities/ ranged meant I could spam settlers much quicker.
How did you build the planes?
The aerodrome district is the first thing barbs/GDRs will pillage...on Deity anyway.

20240114140423_1.jpg

The aerodrome district is the first thing barbs/GDRs will pillage...on Deity anyway.

I'm playing the official Emperor, not the modded diety version, the GDR's have some sort of custom script and in both games didn't pillage my aerodrome (even if they did, it's one turn to build a new one or repair it), not sure if that was luck, or scripting, they also didn't really attack my cities, so I didn't build encampments in my cities except in pinch points or first landing on a new continent?

Once I found a neighbour (Sent a rockband East and a Naturalist West) I sold my oil (and everything else) and saved to buy a bi-plane (1440 I if I recall correctly). I should have deleted the starting military unit, he was useless and costs gpt.

I took the Settlement pantheon turn one and built a city to the south before the GDR came north, I placed an encampment in the north in the capital which seemed to keep the north safe. Then I built a government plaza in the capital with ancestral hall and magnus to start pumping settlers.

City two built an emcamptment and theater square, then built only settlers to start, once you get a city north of Ottawa the GDR threat is mostly neutralized, it will stick around that city forever getting stung to death by the new cities encampment. There are two GDR's in the south, but I was able to contain one in the far west section of the continent and filled out the rest of my peninsula. The north took much longer as the GDR's would run away eventually, or pillage to recover health. The planes were the best way to kill them quickly.

I had nearly every city build a theater square and harbour as it's first two builds, I wanted to rush Aerospace Contractors for the +3 Aluminium per spaceport (doesn't require pop). Realistically you only need a handful of aluminum.

I don't think pop really matters as districts are free and come with a building, they also repair for (free?) cheap, so I built a hockey rink in every town, then if I could maintain 7 pop, I let the builder do whatever was most interesting, rarely that was a farm.

it's cheaper and faster to build a settler than it is to gain +6 pop to hold 2 additional districts, my land was full anyways thanks to the burnt woods and archeology sites (which some of which don't work, forcing you to dig up something else with the same archeologist later)

Then it's just a matter of zerg rushing settlers, the free GDR is good to pick up the settlers the AI lost to the barbs, so send it around the world, I planted 3 cities on the last turn all from Korea's land.

I'm playing the official Emperor, not the modded deity version, the GDR's have some sort of custom script and in both games didn't pillage my aerodrome (even if they did, it's one turn to build a new one or repair it)...

There's nothing modded about playing the map on Deity. The exact map is packaged as a mod.

Barbs didn't pillage your districts?! 🤣

🐂💩

The challenge has no custom scripting 😑

I didn't say the GDR's didn't pillage my districts, I said they didn't pillage my aerodrome. it was in the heart of my empire protected.

Feel free to follow my directions, you will know within 10 turns if it works

ok, I am back home, here is a screenshot with 20 turns remaining, turn 2 I built Victoria (encampment south west (was a barb camp)) then Halifax, and Hamilton (futher SW). Barbs never came close to Ottawa (although a Blizzard did :( )

Spoiler :

1705280865183.png

Here was my civilization on turn 23?
1705280178836.png

vs turn 30
1705280368136.png

and finally at the end (seems "The World" is missing the cities I settles in the last turns)
1705280495868.png

Attachments

• 1705280444300.png
    1705280444300.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Given the disaster level, I do wonder whether trying to get a raging forest fire to get you your tile yields would have been better, but I was a little worried seeing those initial burnt woods not regrow that I wondered if they cheated and prevented all regrowth...

You're right, this is busted!

Play-testing my scenario (with identical settings to the challenge) you get regrowth even without Apocalypse mode. See island to the south:
20240114211000_1.jpg

BTW I have published it now!

Please check it out (after you're tired of the busted/broken, piss easy Emperor map).
Robot Revolutions (mod)

I will eventually upload it to CivFanatics as well FYI.

You're right, this is busted!

Play-testing my scenario (with identical settings to the challenge) you get regrowth even without Apocalypse mode. See island to the south:
View attachment 682383

BTW I have published it now!

Please check it out (after you're tired of the busted/broken, piss easy Emperor map).
Robot Revolutions (mod)

I will eventually upload it to CivFanatics as well FYI.

I'm guessing that in the default setup they maybe manually set up those burnt forest tiles (or when they saved it for the scenario something broke them and caused them to be stuck), such that those tiles don't regrow and stay burnt forever. That's what sort of scared me the first time. Although when replaying, given that districts are free, and you want to slap how hockey rinks in every city anyways, I found that I ended up packing in my cities close enough to not even think about trying a real preserve-burn spam setup. You also get the +2 on the lumbermills anyways, and I tended to like slotting in the card where breathtaking neighbourhoods get food, since it wasn't hard to find nice appeal spots. So as long as I moderately paid attention to my cities, they weren't starving.

REAL Challenge.

Can't believe I've beat it!!!

Well... early oil drilling and tundra farmings leads to winning. i've killed THREE or FOUR bots with Artillery Army ALONE (upgraded.) and with also one TANK ARMY to steamrolling weaker barb footsloggers.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that in the default setup they maybe manually set up those burnt forest tiles (or when they saved it for the scenario something broke them and caused them to be stuck), such that those tiles don't regrow and stay burnt forever.

Actually playing the map in your WorldBuilder folder (or in my mod) these errors don't show up.
So it looks like the map itself is fine.

It looks like there are bugs in the new challenge system.

They are different to scenarios.

Archaeology is still busted after the second(?) excavation.
It's not just the second excavation. I resorted to saving the game right before I excavated. If it froze, I reloaded and sent my archeologist to another site. About 2/3 of the sites worked fine. But the other 1/3 were broken.

I'm guessing that in the default setup they maybe manually set up those burnt forest tiles
Yes, I think that's what it is.
It's not just the second excavation. I resorted to saving the game right before I excavated. If it froze, I reloaded and sent my archeologist to another site. About 2/3 of the sites worked fine. But the other 1/3 were broken.
It seems to be just the antiquity sites on snow tiles that are bugged. The good news is that they don't consume archeologist charges.
Naturalists and Rock Bands are effective distractions, and you can afford three of them at the start of the game.

This was a fun scenario. On my first Emperor run, I managed to score 1687 points (with 35 cities) and thought I’d share my strategies for how I did it. I would love to hear what worked for others as I try to improve on that record. Key strategy elements:

Spam cities to max points. Have ALL extra capacity building settlers. Point based victory: cities (5 point each), districts (2pt), buildings (1pt), citizens (1pt) and era points (1pt). Info era means all cities start with 6 people, all districts take just 1 turn to build and many districts come with two buildings already created (Campus, Commercial Hub, Harbors, Holy Site, Entertainment, Water Park) and you can build two districts right away and a third with just 7 population.

Use Logistics, Public Works and Expropriation policy cards early. Extra 1 movement point is huge for settlers to avoid robots. Extra builder chargers are essential for farm growth. Spam settlers whenever possible.

Get 2 settlers on turn 1. Religious settlements pantheon. Purchase the other with gold.

Build Audience Chamber ASAP. Free builder and cheaper settlers. Grand Masters Chapel also useful to use given faith for machine gun to defend against robots.

Let robots roam. AI controlled robots are not overly aggressive. They won’t go after your cities, do relatively little pillaging and often waste many turns just sitting near your cities. They will take over nearby settlers and builders and one-shot most military units, so keep the former protected and buy machine guns with faith. Wear them down with city defenses, encampments, machine guns and Embrasure-promoted Victor.

Build railroads. Get Armory and military engineers quickly. Build railroads between cities and encampments in straight line across continent to the edge of your empire. Move settlers via these fast, safe routes.

Max science to robots. Lots of campuses early. Even 0 adjacency campuses give 6 science immediately.

Save gold and uranium for robots. At least 3 when researched. Build lots of harbors, commercial hubs, trade routes and sell strategic resources for gold. Lock up nearby uranium. One just north of start. Two to the northwest.

Free Golden Age robot. Golden age dedication gets a free robot and uranium to support it. This robot came 10-15 turns before my science allowed me to build/buy them.

Find other civs early. Trade strategic resources for gold. Get at least one ally (Lincoln perfect) and trade with Democracy and Wisselbanken policy card for incredibly fast growth and production of cities.

Other points. Tech (2pt) and great people (5pt) come easy with the above strategy. Civics (3pt) and Wonders (15pt) not really worth investing in. Instead build more and bigger cities for more points. Each settler is worth 21 points within 3 turns of founding city: City (5pt), 2 city buildings (2pt), 2 districts with two buildings each (8pt), and 6 people (6pt) = 21. Theatre square only comes with one building.

Send single charge builders to explore. Robots won’t take them when embarked. Go find the other 5 civs and good settling land. Watch out for barb destroyers. Buliders travel as quickly as destroyers, so you can maintain a lead once you know where their location.

You can also sacrifice a one-charge builder to a robot. Once he is converts the builder, he usually won’t go after other builders or settlers.

Attachments

• Center of Empire.jpg
    Center of Empire.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 26
  • Final Score.png
    Final Score.png
    450.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Overview map.jpg
    Overview map.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 27
A rare time a biplane is useful for something other than Era Score or upgrading to a better air unit.

Also the first time I've actually used the Deploy action.

Yes, please help keeping the forums alive :).

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/scenario-robot-revolution.31162/

You welcome 😄

Play-testing the map from my mod (or from World Builder saves) I didn't notice either error: excavations or no regrowth.
I might have another go to test this "bilpane strategy" 😉

But I dare you to get past those barb GDRs without cheats.

They nasty.

@Draco84 IDK how you built the biplane, those GDRs pillaged my aerodrome even after making my second city as you said. Also they took a settler I sent north 😩
Relying on RNG goddess (or cheats) is not a strategy.
20240116113753_1.jpg

Last edited:
@Draco84 IDK how you built the biplane, those GDRs pillaged my aerodrome even after making my second city as you said. Also they took a settler I sent north 😩
Relying on RNG goddess (or cheats) is not a strategy.
View attachment 682527
stay near the coast with your settler, expanding north was definitely more difficult than south as there was a camp I couldn't deal with for a very long time.

Tip, biplanes can kill the Barba in the camp and naturalists can destroy the camp.

Naturalists are also great to explore and distract robots.

yep, cities like crazy and encampments (upgraded). I won with 6/7 cities and just encampments. no units. just settle new cities anywhere and repair tiles when GDR is out of reach. I was just wandering around my cities with builders to lure the GDR there. then quickly use other builder to repair tile somewhere else. just keep shooting at GDR's with city defenses. I never explored...

it was a nice one but a little bit short..

MC

won at the prince level on my first try. took advantage of building commercial, industrial, campus, and spaceport districts. I leveled up Gov Victor to the max, that gives you two shots each turn from your city defences. built up the commercial industrial and campus districts to boost the overall vigor of Ottawa, then launched a satellite. that process pretty much guarantees a Golden Age. when that happens, take the Dedication that grants the GDR. It wont stand up to the Barbarian robots, but they will deal with the traditional barbarian units. Then clear out the riff-raff and build cities to access resources.

honestly there is a lot of putting dents in the GDRs until they run away, then rebuilding. but for some reason the GDRs leave the spaceport alone

going to try the emporer levell now

Top Bottom