1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

JFD and Janboruta's Civilisations

Discussion in 'Civ5 - New Civilizations' started by JFD, Sep 2, 2012.

1. azzedar

azzedar Warlord

Any chance, we'll get a rome variant? just asking :)

2. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

JFD's homage to Julius Caesar didn't count?

3. azzedar

azzedar Warlord

what do you mean?

4. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

A couple weeks ago, JFD released a mini-mod changing Augustus to Julius

5. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Yeah, I intend to do Constantine, but that's about it. Woe behold the artistically challenged mod author (*envies Sukritact and Leugi*).

6. ScottMcPwn

ScottMcPwn Huscarl

Hello again, just giving the suggestion of an Anglo-Saxon England which would fit nicely with the already existent great kingdoms of Norway and Denmark you created, or edited in Denmark's case to a fantastic standard. Here are some features I'd recommend if you take this civ up:

The Kingdom of England
    Leader: Ælfred the Great
    UA: Shieldwall - All melee units get a 50% defence bonus if in alert of fortify mode until discovery of Gunpower.
    +2 Movement for all naval units.
    UU: Huscarl - Cover 1 promotion.
    Combat bonus vs. mounted units (50%).

UB: Shire Court - +2 Gold per turn.
    +1 Happiness.

Capital: London
    Cities (Excluding London): Winchester, Hereford, York, Rendlesham, Chichester, Canterbury, Hastings, Nottingham, Ipswich, Bristol, Chester, Lancaster, Manchester, Liverpool, Leicester and Birmingham.

Symbol: White Wyrm/White Wyvern of England
    Colours: White and Red OR Yellow and Black if more practical.

That's all I can really say about that, I hope you get around to doing it!

7. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

8. azzedar

azzedar Warlord

Huray!

9. Zantonius Hamm

Zantonius Hamm Gay anime communist

Well, there aren't really any other interesting emperors. Although there's always the possibility to replace Theodora with Justinian. Just saying.

With a Hippodrome Circus Maximus replacement that has the chance to convert a citizen to a rebel unit if the empire is unhappy. :lol:

Jokes aside, though, the current Byzantium bothers me to no end. They did not invent the use of cataphracts, they did not have a more elaborate religion than others, and putting a unit obviously using greek fire under Theodora is just plain wrong! Also the Dromon should replace the galleas, as Byzantium was a MEDIEVAL empire! It just pisses me off. :mad:

Also Arabia. I am disappointed.

...rant over...

10. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Care to elaborate? I may be unable to split it up, but re-designing it is always an option, as I have with Carthage, England, Germany and the Ottomans.

11. Gp_123

Gp_123 Chieftain

For one , its called a souq not a bazaar :crazyeye:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souq

12. Zantonius Hamm

Sorry, I may have spoken without too much thought there. I had forgotten the fact that you're making a Caliphate institution in Piety and Prestige, which takes care of the science and conquest of the empire, I guess. My main problem is that it's so based around trade, rather than conquest and religion, as that is what it was founded on. But, like I said, the Caliphate might solve what problems I have with the civ.

Not saying there's no trace of military and religion in the civ, the camel archer is great for capturing cities and the UA gives the religious bonuses. I was just wishing that those were the focuses. The Caliphate did, after all, conquer a lot of land over a very short time.

But I guess since it's Harun al-Rashid, the civ represents the Abbasid Caliphate, and then again it was the Umayyad Caliphate that did all those great military things. So, like I said, I may have spoken without thinking.

13. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Yeah, I tried to design the Ayyubids with the missing militaristic aspect in mind. The Caliphate in Piety and Prestige will hopefully round it out. It does bother me, too, that the vanilla Arabia - so generically named - doesn't really motivate the massive religious war machine that were the Caliphates.

14. Zantonius Hamm

Great to know we agree on this matter.

On the other hand, do you now plan on revising/splitting Byzantium?

15. Gyra Solune

Gyra Solune King

I'm definitely of the opinion that the Cataphract should be genericized and Byzantium given a UB - an expansion of the tech tree should move Horsemen to the Ancient era and Cataprhacts would be the Classical midpoint between them and Knights. They were overall a widely used early armored cavalry regiment throughout Persia and some areas of Europe.

A general science expansion and combat unit re-balancing and supplementing would definitely be part of a decent community expansion pack - already I see two big component projects that could be a part of that, namely Decisions and Piety & Prestige. Historical Religions and YNAEMP stuff could be put in there too.

16. LordProtector

LordProtector Digger

I remember when BNW was announced with the great works mechanic, I just assumed Byzantium would get a twist on it's UA so great works in the Capital produced additional faith, you know, because of Byzantine iconography. When that didn't appear, I was pretty stumped.

17. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

18. Zantonius Hamm

I completely agree.

But I just read more about al-Rashid, and it turns out Arabian trade with Europe, as well as diplomatic relationships, began and flourished during his reign. So I guess I should do a bit more research (and, indeed, think more) before posting complaints. Although the civ does not reference the diplomacy or protection of christians during al-Rashid's reign. Or the albino elephant. :lol:

I guess the answer would be (as always) to make a split. Suggestions: The Ummah under Muhammad, obviously without leader art, or alternately the Rashidun Caliphate, under Abu Bakr (less controversial, but quite honestly less interesting); the Umayyad Caliphate, possibly under Walid I; the Abbasid Caliphate, under Harun al-Rashid, go figure; maybe also the Fatimids in addition to the already existing Ayyubids.

Although that would require some time, of course. I would pick it up myself if I had art.
    And motivation.
    And knew how to mod.

:p

19. Zantonius Hamm

Anyways, I've got ideas for some of them, if anyone's interested.

20. regalman

regalman Reckless Dolphin

I have some plans as well:

MIDDLE EAST SPLIT

1. Hatshepsut's Egypt

2. Rashidun led by Umar

3. Umayyads led by Muawiya

4. Abbasids by Harun

5. Saudi Arabia under Faisal