JFD and Janboruta's Civilisations

Just noticed that Hannibal doesn't have any text when you encounter him.
Also, I find it really funny how Arminius threatens to break your bones if you don't agree to trade with him, even though we're friendly with each other.

Oh, I shall borrow your modding enthusiasm, love it. 1000 years for this great polish empire (ok, half-polish). :) Definitely, modding subforum would be dead without you.

About exploration, have you consider "leash" mechanic? Consider distance to nearest city, increasing % of bad things happen the further unit is. Don't know about AI.

At last, considering your future "conquests" the quote of my favourite historical character (he was young then, later he made this statement false):
"Europe is a molehill. It has never had any great empires, like those of the Orient..."

Getting lost should only happen outside familiar territory. But never underestimate the potential of people to get lost, so maybe units can get lost inside friendly territory if they are under level 3?
The getting lost mechanic could have them disappear in a certain tile, then a random number of turns later they turn up on another random tile pretty much anywhere on the map (if they got lost on land, they should turn up on land - if they got lost at sea, they should show up somewhere in the oceans...). This would be particularly hilarious in the early game when Warriors and Scouts keep disappearing inside forests and jungles and turning up on desert islands in the middle of the ocean... on Pangaea maps.
"How on earth did you get so lost?"

Gah, I'm so late to the end-of-the-year post party. :eek: I was enjoying a TSL game on Giant Earth map with Napoleon, carving myself a big European empire, which took me most of the night and a big chunk of today. So I just want to congratulate JFD on a successful year, and wish him all the best in the new one. I can only hope I will have enough time to help him in his endeavours. :)

Besides, the story of JFD's Empire made me feel like I've also achieved something this year, a year that otherwise would be pretty much wasted.

Regarding Exploration Continued - it looks fantastic. My only problem would be the dependency on Community Patch (which I'm not using and probably won't be for a good while), but it's not something I cannot change. :D

Also, I find it really funny how Arminius threatens to break your bones if you don't agree to trade with him, even though we're friendly with each other.

You sure you talk about Arminius and not about me?

Same issue with Hannibal.

Getting lost should only happen outside familiar territory. But never underestimate the potential of people to get lost, so maybe units can get lost inside friendly territory if they are under level 3?

As someone who is almost always ridiculously pacific in his games. I would hate this.

As someone who is almost always ridiculously pacific in his games. I would hate this.

Haha, yup. Would be hard for me to maintain an army too.

"Your excellence, seems our army has vanished. Again! How misfortunate that it has coincided with this Zulu invasion."

Quit game.

Edit:
"Oh dad, whats the name of that forest?"
"That my son is the forest of a thousand lost crossbowmen."

Sorry for my poor sense of humour. :)

Then the thousand lost crossbowmen appear on a remote island near the south pole.

The units wouldn't die, they would turn up after a few turns like old pennies...

Which sorta ruins the point of the mechanic I think; to hinder early game exploration

Oh it will hinder it. Oh how it will hinder it.

Did you mean to explore way to the north in the very first turns? I know I didn't. And how will we get our troops off that island?
(Especially if they keep getting lost again on the way back.) They could also get lost and stay lost on occasion, or get eaten in the forest, or get pulled down in the swamps, or [AccidentType].

Oh it will hinder it. Oh how it will hinder it.

Did you mean to explore way to the north in the very first turns? I know I didn't. And how will we get our troops off that island?
(Especially if they keep getting lost again on the way back.) They could also get lost and stay lost on occasion, or get eaten in the forest, or get pulled down in the swamps, or [AccidentType].
Okay there are two major possibilities for reappearing units.

1) They appear on a small island from which they can't escape.

What's the point of that? You've revealed a spot of the map and the unit will have to be deleted anyway since it no longer has any use. Why not just kill the unit in the first place? Meanwhile I dunno how smart the AI are, so it's possible they might not delete the units. In which case you're either gonna run out of islands or your units will be shipwrecked with some civ from the other continent. (or if your stubborn and don't delete your units, they can have a fiesta in the Caribbean together).

2) They appear far away in some distant land. Say from the treacherous jungles of Southeast Asia they reappear in the Black Forest. So now they Khmer have met Arminius. In 1000 BC.

tldr; choice 1 is rather pointless, choice 2 goes against why the mechanic has been implemented.

Either way loosing units in friendly territory wrecks early game defensive armies.

Okay there are two major possibilities for reappearing units.

1) They appear on a small island from which they can't escape.

What's the point of that? You've revealed a spot of the map and the unit will have to be deleted anyway since it no longer has any use. Why not just kill the unit in the first place? Meanwhile I dunno how smart the AI are, so it's possible they might not delete the units. In which case you're either gonna run out of islands or your units will be shipwrecked with some civ from the other continent. (or if your stubborn and don't delete your units, they can have a fiesta in the Caribbean together).

2) They appear far away in some distant land. Say from the treacherous jungles of Southeast Asia they reappear in the Black Forest. So now they Khmer have met Arminius. In 1000 BC.

tldr; choice 1 is rather pointless, choice 2 goes against why the mechanic has been implemented.

Either way loosing units in friendly territory wrecks early game defensive armies.

I have... no clue what you're talking about, but.... the entire idea of friendly units disappearing in friendly territory sounds ridiculous.
( not a clue :p)

Then the thousand lost crossbowmen appear on a remote island near the south pole.

The units wouldn't die, they would turn up after a few turns like old pennies...

Not supposed to mock your idea, I just saw myself having problems with the mechanic. :)

Oooooh attrition sounds so gooood, it will hopefully complement some Civs their start bias (like Brazil, ugh). I remember coming up with the exact same mechanic for Civ and writing it down somewhere, which might be pointless info to you but it was personally really weird/awesome to read this haha.
Also; yaaay! Finally a more interesting mechanic for the Dutch!

edit: Also also, will it be compatible with Colonialist Legacies colonial resources then?

Oh wow. This is looking intruiginger and intriguinger. Though yes, I do wonder if it'll be all compatible with the current expansion going on with CL's stuff!

It depends how it turns out - the colonies component of both will conflict, probably, but I can always support the new resources (they can be supported externally, too) that are to be included, except those that obviously conflict with the new resources in ExCE.

Oh, I shall borrow your modding enthusiasm, love it. 1000 years for this great polish empire (ok, half-polish). :) Definitely, modding subforum would be dead without you.

About exploration, have you consider "leash" mechanic? Consider distance to nearest city, increasing % of bad things happen the further unit is. Don't know about AI.

Sounds more complex than I'd want to code :lol:

Oh yeah, out of interest, any changes to Strategic Resources with Trade?

Not currently; the fact that you get multiple copies from one source could make their Trade a bit common. Not to mention that they already possess quite strong effects - enabling certain buildings and units as is. But if, after 50~ resources, I've still got ideas, I could do something with Strategic Resources.

Reminds me: i think i found a bug(i cant determinate whether its in the game or in of the mods)
1. Coal seems to appear in mines of CSs(or very close to CS territory)
2. Even though I'm allied with many CSs(that coal appeared in their mines) , i don't seem to get any coal from them.( and they ask me to connect it to my trade network :p)

Certainly nothing to do with my mods.

I'm absolutely infatuated with this idea! In ancient times, civilizations pretty much only knew about the other nations surrounding them (Egypt didn't discover the Americas in the BC's) and they were more likely to explore less difficult terrain than venture beyond a mountain range or into a jungle (or so I assume - I wasn't alive back then). In civ, I could intentionally choose not to explore around natural boundaries to simulate this, but there was no way to stop the AI from doing it. Your upcoming mod will solve this dilemma for me once and for all.

EDIT: I assume it's obvious that possessing Citrus will dampen the effects of Scurvy?

Yes, Citrus Trade gives Scurvy immunity, Ginger Trade gives Disease immunity, Banana Trade gives Jungle/Thick Forest immunity, Wool gives Desert immunity, and Fur gives Snow immunity.

Okay, will fix. And how on earth did you befriend Arminius? Well, when he's friends and threatening to break you bones, it's his way of showing love :p

Gah, I'm so late to the end-of-the-year post party. :eek: I was enjoying a TSL game on Giant Earth map with Napoleon, carving myself a big European empire, which took me most of the night and a big chunk of today. So I just want to congratulate JFD on a successful year, and wish him all the best in the new one. I can only hope I will have enough time to help him in his endeavours. :)

Besides, the story of JFD's Empire made me feel like I've also achieved something this year, a year that otherwise would be pretty much wasted.

Regarding Exploration Continued - it looks fantastic. My only problem would be the dependency on Community Patch (which I'm not using and probably won't be for a good while), but it's not something I cannot change. :D

Never wasted! Your art has developed superbly from being excellent to godlike excellent :D

You'll come around! Everything that relies upon whoward's DLL (all whoward's PnM mods for instance) works with the CP. ExCE won't need it for now, but I won't hold back if there's something in the CP DLL that I need that isn't in whoward's.

Can you please replace the ridiculous steampunk with something else? Like a zeppelin?

I could now, because there is a Zeppelin model in the civfanatics databse. However, the Recon line won't be returning in the same way, so no airship, no zeppelin, etc.

I registered just to say I really, really appreciate the new artwork for the civ descriptions. Thanks for doing that. Visually it's so much easier to process now.

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to put the comma in the middle. As in "Norway, Kingdom of" as opposed to the current "Norway Kingdom of," But I don't think anyone is really going to lose any sleep over that.

Thanks for continuing to produce fun civs to play with.

I registered just to say I really, really appreciate the new artwork for the civ descriptions. Thanks for doing that. Visually it's so much easier to process now.

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to put the comma in the middle. As in "Norway, Kingdom of" as opposed to the current "Norway Kingdom of," But I don't think anyone is really going to lose any sleep over that.

Thanks for continuing to produce fun civs to play with.

Hm, you're right. I could stand to give more attention to detail on them all anyway - improve text sizes, contrast between background and text in some cases, and to fix typographical and grammatical errors like that. But that's something that I'll do gradually. Thanks for the heads-up though.

But I don't think anyone is really going to lose any sleep over that.

Natan might. We're not really sure what's going on inside his head.

Stupid question: is the Community Patch different from the Comunitas thingamajig?

Top Bottom