JFD and Janboruta's Civilisations

knowing JFD's trend, a Kingdom of Greece Civ would be much more probable, and even then, I believe he has other preferences...

I see he's been re-working his opening posts. But I don't see an announcement for that eeevil mod he released on Steam. :D

Spoiler :
Mod-maker to mod-maker question: did the 10 harbors stack in terms of 10x the trade-roude distance?

Harkens back to that one Modcast you were on, "through competition breeds quality" :)

I like the new design, but I found the older one more simplistic an easier to read. I think I just need to get used to it.

Love the whole map idea! (might have to steal that).

I see he's been re-working his opening posts. But I don't see an announcement for that eeevil mod he released on Steam. :D

Spoiler :
Mod-maker to mod-maker question: did the 10 harbors stack in terms of 10x the trade-roude distance?

No; all BNW attributes don't stack on the same building. Something about the way Firaxis coded BNW that wasn't the case for older things.

shocked by the opening posts. wonderful

It's Sukritact's design (except, at great personal injury, I went with more solid colours :p)

Harkens back to that one Modcast you were on, "through competition breeds quality" :)

I like the new design, but I found the older one more simplistic an easier to read. I think I just need to get used to it.

Love the whole map idea! (might have to steal that).

Some of them are certainly harder to read. But, you know, whatevs. The change was prompted by Pouakai and Sukritact; not really a competition thing directly from me.

I am yet to try having a game with one of your civilizations enabled, JFD, so I have a question about the civs' uniques. Does the AI know how to use them? I mean,
-Would Albert build plantations in neutral territory?
-Would Ingolfur use skalds to found cities?
-Would Dufour always seek neutrality?
-Would Napoleon/de Gaulle expend their GGs to annex cities/earn culture?
-Etc.

I am yet to try having a game with one of your civilizations enabled, JFD, so I have a question about the civs' uniques. Does the AI know how to use them? I mean,
-Etc.

1) no.
2) (apparently) yes.
3) Most of the time.
4) I don't know.
5) well, Dido settles coastal cities, and peter signs research agreements... and Italy is an expansion monger, so yes, most of the time, the AI uses the UAs.
(Try a game with the Germans.. Fun promised!:D:D:D)

-Etc.

1. I don't know, but Natan's experience suggests not.
2. No, not without Whoward's or the CP's DLL
3. Sort of; he's very, very unlikely to give out DoFs, which is the closest I can get to him maintaining neutrality.
4. The AI gets slightly different bonuses for their UA - de Gaulles gets culture whenever a GG is born, and Napoleon gets no resistance for conquered cities. When the AI doesn't understand how to use their UAs, I give them a helping hand (like Sardinia-Piedmont to use it, or a different bonus.

also, there appears to be an error in the new OP-- Oda Nobunaga's Name and UA are replaced with Tojo's

edit: it also says the zero replaces the spitfire which is not the unit's name in the base game i think

Not to pile on, but the front page map (the first one)'s coloring of the US is off. It's missing a few northern states, most notably my home state of Michigan. I do like the new look, it's certainly visually appealing and without a doubt unique.

also, there appears to be an error in the new OP-- Oda Nobunaga's Name and UA are replaced with Tojo's

edit: it also says the zero replaces the spitfire which is not the unit's name in the base game i think

I'll fix that at some point. Thanks.

Not to pile on, but the front page map (the first one)'s coloring of the US is off. It's missing a few northern states, most notably my home state of Michigan. I do like the new look, it's certainly visually appealing and without a doubt unique.

We'll just say Michigan wasn't a part of Roosevelt, Washington, or Lincoln's America for now :p I'll fix it sometime.

Meanwhile:

The Empire of JFD (and Janboruta)'s Civilisations has seen many changes over the course of 2014. The addition of new lands in the east (but not too east) and the advent of new technologies such as "Events" and "Decisions," and the inception of "actually good leaderscenes," has transformed the once isolationist nation-state into a ubiquitious force that permeates the European continent.

With it's capital at Rome, JFD's Civs began 2014 as but a fledgling and discontious nation. Empires such as the People's Republic of More Civs, the Kingdom of Tomatekh, and the mysterious and ancient Theocatic State of LastSword's Sets were by far the rulers of the day, and lowly JFD's Civs could but feed upon the leftovers of these giants. It was a time frought with peril, and emerging empires such as Patria Grande and Colonialist Legacies threatened to overshadow any hope for a JFD-led empire.

In early 2014, plans to invade Armenia were first unveiled to the public, to much appeal. But it was with Janboruta's approval, and subsequent appointment as Prime Minister, that came the possibility of an empire. However, knowing the lucrative position of his goals, JFD knew that holding the Causasus would not be enough to carve out a strategic position on the continent. Thus, JFD would propose a daring invasion into Lithuania, where the Republic of More Civs already laid claim. Holding Lithuania would prevent future incursions into Europe, and would nearly double the size of JFD's empire. It would also allow for the easy installion of several pro-JFD rulers in Russia, ensuring the empire's dominance in Eastern Europe. This acquisition was crucial to JFD's survival.

Negotiations with the Republic of More Civs began in late January, spearheaded by Janboruta. By February, the negotiations had been a success, and in exchange for the rights to Greece and Malta, JFD would swiftly and deflty launch an invasion into Lithuania, adding it to his empire on the second of February, 2014. This addition, as well as the success of Janboruta's diplomacy with More Civs, would be a defining moment in the history of JFD's Civs' empire, and would allow it a foothold onto the world stage, from where it would establish an empire to span nearly the entirely of the European continent. Plans to complete the annexation of Europe have already begun, and JFD hopes to fully incorporate the Balkans in 2015. JFD feels like the EU.

JFD's Civs has been home to many innovations and unique practices, and has often worked alongside other diplomatic players. An early adopter of SQLism and of the new technologies conceived by King Sukritact of More Civs, JFD's Civs have regularly been database-error free and is well-known throughout the diplomatic stage for its swift and decisive acquisition of new territories, and willingness to reform those territories to meet the standards of the modern age. Founder of the "Can haz 5 Russias, why not?" ideology, JFD's Empire has often worked alongside the Emperor of Patria Grande, Leugi, in installing pro-JFD governments throughout Germany, Britain, Russia, Japan, America, and France, and hopes to continue this alliance with the installation of pro-JFD governments in China and Spain. JFD's Empire has also worked alongside King Sukritact with efforts to colonise Iceland and Milan, and to develop new technologies that benefit modding-kind; although diplomatic arrangements with King Sukritact are spotty, and ever-under the watchful eye of Sukritact's President Pouakai, who for always hopes to thwart JFD's imperial goals. JFD's Civs are also known to work alongside the burgeoning Grand Principality of Greater Europe, with whom JFD's Empire has a pledge of protection. Attacking this city-state would greatly damage relations with JFD's (and Janboruta's) Civilisations.

Through disasters such as "Icongate," the "Plague of Ever-Increasing Resistance," and the day Natan learnt to use the internet, as well as days now celebrated in JFD's Empire as public holidays, such as that time someone said "The synagogue generates additional gold? Nice one, Hitler," and the day people stopped asking whether I would do a civ I'd already done, JFD's Empire has grown as a part of this wonderful CivFanatics comunity, and would like to extend a warm thanks and a happy new year to everyone who has ever used one of its territories, or posted on its thread, as well as to everyone who has contributed to the life of JFD's Civs' empire, in the hope that JFD's Empire will continue to grow well into the new year until JFD has something better to do.

Loving the new OP layout! :D Did you set that up all by yourself or get jan to do it for you?
Fingers crossed that no one else tries to steal the design this time, although honestly since copying an image from the civ selection screen is easier, I suspect that that will remain the norm. I've got an idea for how to rework my own, once I get back from vacation.

It seems like a lot of people have been updating their OP style lately...

Loving the new OP layout! :D Did you set that up all by yourself or get jan to do it for you?

The way you say that... "all by yourself" :lol: No, it's Sukritact's design, I changed a few things.

Fingers crossed that no one else tries to steal the design this time, although honestly since copying an image from the civ selection screen is easier, I suspect that that will remain the norm. I've got an idea for how to rework my own, once I get back from vacation..

Oh, if only you new :rolleyes:

Because I have the misfortune of spending this New Year's modding, I thought I'd share some preliminary plans on Exploration Continued Expanded - a more heavy weight counterpart to Colonialist Legacies upcoming Governor's Edition mod, which will require the use of the Community Patch DLL (the Balance Patch is still optional) and Barathor's More Luxuries.

I talked about ExCE some months ago, in Viregel's Expansion thread, as a component that Viregel was going to incorporate. It is, as it was then, is an expansion to my Exploration Continued mod, and is composed of four parts: Attrition, Exploration, Trade, and Colonisation. Although I treat them individually here, they are all interwoven, and cannot be used individual, with the exception of Exploration (which is more of a "catch-all" component to cover anything that doesn't fit into the other categories, which will be updated into the current Exploration Continued mod.

Attrition is still built with the intent to "slow-down" early-game exploration, prompted by my annoyance at being discovered by Siam every Classical Era from Europe on TSL Earth maps. Basically, certain terrain and feature types may incur an attrition effect (will damage a unit, and prevent them from healing). There are four types of attrition: Extreme Conditions (Snow and Desert), Scurvy (Ocean and Coast), "getting lost" (Jungle), and Disease (Marsh, Flood Plains, and Jungle), which differ slightly in their effects. Attrition does not effect units in your borders, and units born in cities adjacent to or on a terrain or feature that gives attrition (except for Disease and Scurvy) will begin with an immunity to that attrition. Scouts may be upgraded with immunities and certain unique units (as well as Polynesia for Scurvy) begin with immunities, and the Woodsman promotion now gives an immunity to Jungle/getting lost. Finally, the Exploration Finisher and the Satellites tech grant all units immunity to all attrition effect except Disease.

Trade is a dramatic expansion on the secondary effect of Marble - by giving all resources a secondary effect, it aims to make every resource interesting, and the pursuit of certain resources over other resources a viable reality (and with thanks to Gazebo's CP, the AI will do this too). Every resource now has an associated "Trade" building, which grants the resource's secondary effect, as well as an additional Happiness. A city can only have up to 3 Trades normally (the 1st requiring a new Trader building, the 2nd requiring a Market, and the 3rd requiring the East India Company), and every trade pushes a city to its trade limit by a certain amount.

All bonus and luxury resources can now be considered by their happiness and how much they count toward your "trade limit", rather than by the arbitrary "bonus/luxury" distinction. All resources which are, in vanilla, bonus resources, provide +1 Happiness and only take up 1 slot; understandably, the effects of these trades are the least potent. A select few resources - those with a prominent place in the history of colonisation - take up 3 slots and give 3 Happiness (these are "Trading Company" resources) - whilst the rest give 2 Happiness and take up 2 slots (these are "Market" resources). Your trade count can be further increased by taking the Protectionism social policy, by building the Grand Canal wonder (thanks to Sukritact for the wonder art), or by being Dutch, who begin with an extra slot in every city.

With this comes the addition of 9 new resources (and thanks to the good graces of Sukritact, those resources come with some spectacular artwork): Ginger (good for disease immunity), Opium (a Trading Company resource for generating Great Writers), Sulphur (a Market resource excellent at churning out those newly invented muskets), Oak (a Market resources for generating Great Engineers), Cedar (a Trader resource for building naval units), Feathers (a Trading Company resources to increase the Tourism of your Great Works), Vanilla (a Trading Company resource to ensure there is plenty of ice cream when foreign civs tour your Wonders), Manuscripts (an extra City-State luxury because why not), and Rubber (a Trading Company resource to get those Siege Units and Armoured units out quick). ExCE shall have internal support for some of the custom resources out there two - Praline, Shellfish, Tyrian Dyes, Venetian Glass, White Elephant, Seals, Obsidian, Saffron, and Lotus.

Colonialism is not something I'm going to talk about just yet :p But it's better than what I originally talked about with Sovereign and Autonomous colonies.

Finally, Exploration is the catch-all component for the addition of a Great Explorer unit, enhancements to the Exploration tree, etc.

Here's a picture because Walls of Text are unfun:

Spoiler :

Disasters such as Icongate and the day Natan learned to use the internet.:rotfl:
What might Icongate be? JFD, is there stuff going on behind the scenes that we, your loyal subjects, should know about?

EDIT: Boy did I get ninja'd. ExCE sounds awesome, particularly the slowing of exploration. Unit getting lost should happen in forests larger than 5 tiles as well, IMO.

Disasters such as Icongate and the day Natan learned to use the internet.:rotfl:
What might Icongate be? JFD, is there stuff going on behind the scenes that we, your loyal subjects, should know about?

Icongate was a disaster when *someone accidentally* leaked all of the icons I had planned for upcoming civs :p I tried searching the thread for it, but it is mysteriously missing... hm...

EDIT: Boy did I get ninja'd. ExCE sounds awesome, particularly the slowing of exploration. Unit getting lost should happen in forests larger than 5 tiles though IMO.

Do forests ever get that thick? I can certainly add thick forests into the mix. It'd give the Iroquois a much needed boost to start with immunity to getting lost.

Icongate was a disaster when *someone accidentally* leaked all of the icons I had planned for upcoming civs :p I tried searching the thread for it, but it is mysteriously missing... hm...

I see. Was this an event, or a decision that you made to clamp down on it?

Do forests ever get that thick? I can certainly add thick forests into the mix. It'd give the Iroquois a much needed boost to start with immunity to getting lost.

They certainly do for me, I'm not talking about a 5-tile radius forest but a forest of 5 continuous tiles. On a map the relative scale of Civ5's, that's big enough to get lost in.
Of course adding more thicker forests is awesome too. Scouts will no longer cross the entire Pangaea!
(Especially on the Arborea map...)

Oh, if only you new :rolleyes:

Does it count if it's two convergent designs on the same prototype? Because then it's not *technically* stealing the design from your topic... :rolleyes:

It was an honest mistake, I swear! Regardless, I'd better not set foot in the JFD Empire if I value my freedom :lol:

Top Bottom