1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

JOE-05 - The Crusades

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by JesusOnEez, Feb 28, 2007.

1. mice

mice Moose

The plan sounds good

2. Cosmichail

Cosmichail Dark Lord of The Sith

Preturn

After some thought again and looking at the save our biggest problem is no happy resources. I do go ahead and make these trades:

and this one:

We then revolt to Organized Religion so we can start building missionaries.

Turn 1

Come out of revolt and start a temple in Rome to deal with the unhappy which will let 12 hammers go into it and then whip for 2 pop finishing Praet at the same time. Instead of going for construction I think we need monarchy much more for Hereditary Rule and start that instead so we can alleviate happy with MP.

Turn 2

Louis makes this demand of us and since we are going to war one of these days I decline. (PS I notice he has a lot of happy resources).

Whip Rome for 2 pop and finish temple and Praet.

Turn 3

Louis asks for this deal and oblige. We need the happy bad. Also these are teching away and need to be slowed. I DO think we need to go after Louis he's weak and has the happy resources we need.

Rome starts a missionary for Rice City.

Turn 4-10

We are building units in Neapolis without barracks so rectify that by building one.

I notice too that the Praet built in Pisae heads for that German city when I thought he was for transport to join forces for attack on France. Makes me chuckle as what was the intention here to attack Freddy and Louis?

Two praets stationed at France and one ready at Germany. Ballsy I'd say and well I let you try it. I don't like two front wars and we can't afford anymore cities however the spoils of war wouldn't hurt.

I do accumulate a small stack at France but I'd let Monarchy finish (3 turns to go) and then happy won't hit as hard as that sugar deal will cancel with France. I would have liked to attack with cats but our happy situation is killing us and we need to deal with it now. I'd suggest after Monarchy we head for construction. We are now working lots of cottages and once they grow a bit our finances will get better. We definitely need COL soon.

Suggested tech path

Monarchy finished in 3 turns
    Then construction for cats (we have math)
    may then col if it isn't founded to get some courthouses we are experiencing high main costs in our cities already.

Attached Files:

3. JesusOnEez

JesusOnEez Emperor

Good turnset and analysis of the situation, and I'm in complete agreement about the happy situation.

I always try to defend taken cities with an Axe, Archer/Longbow and Horse based unit if at all possible, but our hammer situation isn't going to let us build units that quickly, so I'd suggest taking one or two of Louis cities and maybe pillage, then sue for peace if we see a major counter-attack heading our way.

ROOSTER
    Cosmichail - Just Played
    Rince - Up
    JesusOnEez - On Deck
    Mice
    Vra379971 - Just Played

4. Rince

Rince King

Got it, played it, will post the turn log soon.

5. Rince

Rince King

OK, here we go:

I won't give a turn-by-turn summary but a unified one because there were only few notable things going on:

- I noticed the fur to the northeast of our empire (where the barb city was). Would it be worth to settle there just for the happy bonus? There's also some copper nearby for production.
    - Fred's golden age came and went.
    - I built some improvements outside the fat cross of our cities, don't know what I was thinking, sorry.
    - We also need christianity in Pisae, I built a missionary and the galley is ready for the transport.
    - Louis has been cheecky in diplo. First he demanded Iron, I declined, one turn later he canceled the open border agreement.
    - On the last turn I hear the horns of war and immediately thought that Louis is coming after us but no, it's Fred who's going after Louis!

Under those very favorable circumstances I think we should declare war on Louis immediately. Only few units finished during my turnset but the invasion force stationed near Lyons consists of roughly 6 Praets, 3 Axes and 1 Spear now. When I last checked, Lyon was defended by two archers only. Too bad we don't have any cats. Our hinterland is not well defended in case Louis lands an invasion force. A trireme is under construction but I guess Louis won't have the ressources for a two-front army+navy war.

Greetings,

Rince

ROOSTER

Cosmichail
    Rince - Just Played
    JesusOnEez - Up next
    Mice
    Vra379971

Attached Files:

6. Cosmichail

Just curious Rince did you revolt to HR during your turnset?? Also what did you research after Monarchy? Hopefully construction.

EDIT:
    Disregard the above.....I just looked at the save and we are in HR now. Good stuff and construction not too far away. I agree we should strike now at France since he'll be occupied dealing with Freddy. Give us mutual struggle too with Freddy.

I agree Rince settling up there is good since there is fish/cow/copper/beaver so definitely worth getting a settler there. The fur would be a big help.

7. JesusOnEez

JesusOnEez Emperor

I've got it. Will play this weekend.

So, my aim is to;

Finish Trireme
    Declare war on France
    Take a city (or two)...primarily Lyon.
    Continue Construction research
    Start a Settler to settle beaver area

Sound about right?

8. Rince

Rince King

Sounds right to me.

Paris would of course also be nice to get since it controls so many luxury ressources. Maybe we can get one or two cats built before the war reaches Paris and try to sack it. Depends a bit on what Fred is doing. Maybe he'll take down the defenses of Paris for us.

Or am I dreaming?

Rince

9. mice

mice Moose

It's good timing with Freddy eh ?

Without looking at the save it could be that we float a couple of catapults over on a galley when our glorious army reaches Paris.

10. JesusOnEez

JesusOnEez Emperor

Sorry haven't been able to play this weekend, but can definately play tomorrow (2nd April)...hang in there, it's coming!

11. Cosmichail

That's an April fools joke right? You're going to post soon hehe....

Looking forward to it........

12. JesusOnEez

JesusOnEez Emperor

545AD - Preturn
    I see there is a French Worker right next to our units so I decide to declare war right away to steal him and do so! Freddy is pleased with us!

560AD - 1
    Neapolis finishes a Trireme and Starts a Christian Missionary.
    Pisae trains a Praet and starts a Granary.
    Lyons seems to have more than a couple of Archers. It now has a couple of Horse Archers and a Spear. Hmmm...

Trireme is heading here to keep an eye out for invading Galleys.

575AD - 2
    Axe dies to one of the Horse Archers stationed in Lyons. Daft, as now there's only an Archer and a Spear in Lyons. Have at 'em! Praet beats Archer at 66% odds. Just the Spear to go. Praet beats Spear at 70% odds and Lyons is ours!

I'm going to heal and then go for Orleans. We gained 139 gold so I bump up research to 50% cutting Construction research by 2 turns to 7. We are at minus 9gpt, but each new unit is eating into that. Lyons starts a Granary.

590AD - 3
    Rome finishes a Praet, starts Settler. Missionary is loaded onto Galley.

605AD - 4
    Antium finishes Christian Monastery, starts Barracks. Cumae finishes Praet, starts Archer for Beaver city defence.

620AD - 5
    Nothing

635AD - 6
    Ravenna's borders expand and our healed troops head for Orleans.

650AD - 7
    Rome finishes Settler, starts Trireme. Cumae finishes Archer, starts Spear. Neapolis finishes Missionary, starts Spear as there are a fair number of French Horse Archers lurking about. Pisae is Christian! We kill a couple of Horse Archers threatening Lyons.

665AD - 8
    Pisae finishes Granary, starts Library. Lyons is now Christian!

680AD - 9
    Praet kills another Horse Archer around Lyons. A couple of the Praets have been given Cover I to help deal with these buggers. Construction comes in and we go for CoL next as we really need Courthouses. Antium completes Barracks and starts Cat.

The attack on Orleans starts! I send the weakest Praet in against an Archer at 61% odds and win! As with Lyons, there is just a Spear left. Again, I send the weakest Praet against the Spear at 70% and lose. The other guys mop up and we "liberate" the already Christian city of Orleans for 160 gold. It starts a Library.

Our first Great General has been born and is in Cumae...I suggest we build the Military Academy somewhere. Louise won't sue for peace, so I'm thinking we could take out Marseilles...most of his Workers were hiding there last time I checked.

695AD - 10
    Neapolis creates Spear and starts Cat. Killed more Horse Archers around Lyons and the troops are heading for Marseilles.

I've left some sign on the land which should make it pretty clear what I think should be done in the next few turns. Settle Beaver city, and take Marseilles and sue for peace.

13. JesusOnEez

JesusOnEez Emperor

ROOSTER
    Cosmichail
    Rince
    JesusOnEez - Just Played
    Mice - Up
    Vra379971 - On Deck

Attached Files:

14. Cosmichail

Aaaaahhhh sounds good but are'nt we a ways off from Education. I'd say either merge him in Cumae or Pisae. We need the XP points more right now and will have CR2 praets off the line with barracks. Much better.

I think Pisae has stronger production but Cumae logistically easier for troop reinforcement.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that.

Good stuff on the military front. Let's finish Louis now and suffer the expansion bug. COL is on the way and we can keep going with the spoils of war. I'd also suggest if we can use that COL for trade bait.

Go get'em Mice

15. vra379971

vra379971 Deity

I call for Medic 3 and a March for Paris.

16. JesusOnEez

JesusOnEez Emperor

Damn...yeah, I always forget that we need Education for the Academy, so I'm happy with making a highly upgraded unit a Medic 3 as vra suggested. I'm always a bit wary of wiping out a Civ when we can't really afford their cities, but with CoL on the way, I guess it'll pay dividends. Mice may want to change some builds to military builds, as although there are a couple of Cats on the way, I generally started with city improvements thinking the war would end after taking Marseilles.

17. mice

mice Moose

Got it ! First blood to you JoE. nice moves. I'll look at the save and not do anything rash just yet.

18. JesusOnEez

JesusOnEez Emperor

It was a fun few turns...it felt like the variants finally kicked in when I "liberated" Christian Orleans from the clutches of the evil Jewish empire of the French.

One BIG note. I know vra mentioned going after Paris, but one thing to take note of is that according to the variants, holy cities must be razed, so if we want a city where Paris is, we better have a Settler ready if it's the Jewish Holy City (can't remember of hand). Although we have nothing particularly against Judaism, we don't want to promote its spread either...only the one true faith of Christianity should be given that opportunity.

:)

19. mice

mice Moose

Medic 3 or military instructor ?
    both will help our push for Paris, but the medic more so and sooner. I'm torn. More advice please.

Goals for the turnset,
    -Take Marseilles.
    -Settle the beaver (I dont really want to but Freddy will take it and he might be our ally for a while so we wont be able to take it off him)
    -Send some units to Paris zone to at least see what is in there.(holy city or not) Then Vra can decide wether or not to press on.

We will have about 20% science after Marseilles and Beaver. Col will come in.
    More military builds or whip courts at that point? It will depend a bit on what we see in Paris.

20. vra379971

vra379971 Deity

Medic! Medic! Medic!