[GS] June 2019 Patch Details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever business person thought it was a good idea to outsource cross platform development and then make simultaneous cross platform releases a thing is a person I would say has unrealistic expectations about software development.

Whatever business person thought it was a good idea to outsource cross platform development and then make simultaneous cross platform releases a thing is a person I would say has unrealistic expectations about software development.

Completely agree. Tying them together regardless of cross platform compatibility for multi-player is a horrible idea.

Can it really be true there is still no patch release notes..? Been Googleing them and searched Civilization.com but found nothing..

Completely agree. Tying them together regardless of cross platform compatibility for multi-player is a horrible idea.
While I agree wholeheartedly as SP, I am sure MP players (especially cross platform) would wholeheartedly disagree.

Happy to keep waiting, but a thought:

Frankly they just need a public test branch. Gets all of us to shut up, and converts our impatience into bug reports.

Maintaining another major branch (public-facing no less) is not a trivial endeavor. A public beta environment for most games is not worth the headache. But this (this game, this community, unaligned SP/MP concerns) is the ideal case for such.

It's worth the economic policy slot.

While I agree wholeheartedly as SP, I am sure MP players (especially cross platform) would wholeheartedly disagree.

This is why we need this:

Frankly they just need a public test branch.

It's great that they are equating the releases, the problem is that they are equating downwards. Make a test branch, PC single players will be extremely happy.

Why?

You'd prefer to delay everyone rather than a small subset one platform which may not even be relevant to your multiplayer group? Worst case if you've got a diverse set up players in terms of platforms, hold off on starting a MP game until everybody is patched.

I'm just thankful that this week is the one I'm away from my civ computer. I was hoping to vicariously enjoy the patch via people's stories here, but perhaps I'll get to experience it myself next week?

I'm a little concerned that there's been no substantive steam activity for a week. If the last Mac/Linux version passed 2k QA, I would think the patch would be out. If it didn't, I'd hope there would be an update to the internal QA branches by now. So it seems there's a particularly knotty issue. Hopefully they can detangle it soon....

I'm not a fan of the production buff. I find the game more fun when you are constantly weighing your decisions based of extremes of necessity. "Super-specialization" of cities is something I like as you cannot build anything and everything. With more production, we head back into the more "checklist" type-style gameplay. It certainly wont be that drastic, of course -- I'm just wondering why they felt it was such a problem to pick and choose between multiple things you need exceptionally bad. It's a strategy game. You SHOULD be encumbered.

I'm just thankful that this week is the one I'm away from my civ computer. I was hoping to vicariously enjoy the patch via people's stories here, but perhaps I'll get to experience it myself next week?

I'm a little concerned that there's been no substantive steam activity for a week. If the last Mac/Linux version passed 2k QA, I would think the patch would be out. If it didn't, I'd hope there would be an update to the internal QA branches by now. So it seems there's a particularly knotty issue. Hopefully they can detangle it soon....

Indeed. It seems that either 2K is being unbelievably thorough on testing cross-platform multiplayer or they've denied approval and Aspyr is still trying to fix the code and haven't gotten to their internal qa part yet.

Having worked in software projects for the last 1000 years I have to admit that I cannot remember one large project that went in on time.
On support for one this weekend.... 3rd time lucky.
One problem poor Firaxis has is they called it the June patch as opposed to the Ju patch or the summer19 patch or even the patchy patch.
Remember, internally they were calling this "the Canadian summer patch" if I recall.

Having worked in software projects for the last 1000 years I have to admit that I cannot remember one large project that went in on time.
On support for one this weekend.... 3rd time lucky.
One problem poor Firaxis has is they called it the June patch as opposed to the Ju patch or the summer19 patch or even the patchy patch.

Didn't they say they were calling it internally the "Canadian summer" patch?

I'm not wearing a parka anymore, but I'm not in swim trunks yet either …

Well, summer in Canada doesn't start until the 21st...

I'm willing to bet that the Patch will drop on Thursday the 20th because that is the day I fly off to Punta Cana for a week and won't be able to try it out. Then I'll get home from vacation and will have to scramble to read the 100+ new threads on this forum :(

Guys, stop blaming yourself, it's not your fault.

You know, the PC patch is ready since 20 days, but at that time I had a nice 4 days week-end to fix my mods after it was released, so obviously they learned of that and had to delay it.

Then we were expecting it after the stream, but again I had a nice 3 days WE ahead of me that surely would have been enough to fix most compatibility issues, and they had to hastily postpone the release again, pretending a last minute cross platform MP issue...

Now it's worst, because I'm in vacation next week...

But do not despair, I won't be able to mod for a few days, starting from Tuesday, 2PM CET !

So here is the patch release date and time.

Guys, stop blaming yourself, it's not your fault.

You know, the PC patch is ready since 20 days, but at that time I had a nice 4 days week-end to fix my mods after it was released, so obviously they learned of that and had to delay it.

Then we were expecting it after the stream, but again I had a nice 3 days WE ahead of me that surely would have been enough to fix most compatibility issues, and they had to hastily postpone the release again, pretending a last minute cross platform MP issue...

Now it's worst, because I'm in vacation next week...

But do not despair, I won't be able to mod for a few days, starting from Tuesday, 2PM CET !

So here is the patch release date and time.
Enjoy your vacation! Whenever the patch drops, my first game with it will have all third party content disabled, so at least one lover of YnAMP will not be impatient for an update. :) (I do hope you're right about the patch drop time.)

Indeed. It seems that either 2K is being unbelievably thorough on testing cross-platform multiplayer or they've denied approval and Aspyr is still trying to fix the code and haven't gotten to their internal qa part yet.

I agree the holdup is the MP issue. There have been so many issues with MP post-patch in the past that they are being extra thorough with testing to NOT release a patch with a glaring MP issue. I don’t play MP often, and I know SP-only players are getting frustrated by the wait, but it seems to me there is something in the coding of the general game that continually shows up in MP games that throw it in a loop. If they can finally narrow down the wonky code and permanently fix it now, it will make future patches for both SP and MP games roll out faster and smoother.

I'm not a fan of the production buff. I find the game more fun when you are constantly weighing your decisions based of extremes of necessity. "Super-specialization" of cities is something I like as you cannot build anything and everything. With more production, we head back into the more "checklist" type-style gameplay. It certainly wont be that drastic, of course -- I'm just wondering why they felt it was such a problem to pick and choose between multiple things you need exceptionally bad. It's a strategy game. You SHOULD be encumbered.

Is super specialization of cities even a thing? I thought that died with Civ 4. It seems to me that we already have the checklist style of play where you will almost always want a science district and a theatre district in every city. I've been waiting for them to bring back Civ 4 style specialization with a patch, but they never do. Wonders or national wonders that give multiplication bonuses for science/culture instead of flat bonuses would encourage people to really manipulate the output of science/culture in one city (which also means building cities with huge population). It seems like they tried to bring this back with the new policy card giving extra bonuses when there's a +4 adjacency bonus and 10 pop cities, but all this did was encourage people to max cities out at population 10 and no more (hardly "tall").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom