1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

June/July Patch Notes

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by 2K Greg, Jun 17, 2011.

1. vexing

vexing knows

they don't.
    people are always confused about this because the combat box still lists both, however only melee bonuses apply to melee combat. check out the resulting odds, for example a crossbowman with accuracy 3 promoted to a rifleman attacking into open terrain will have it's combat strength still listed as 25, even though it says +65%.

2. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

The definition of Hot Seat is, that you play with another person at 1 computer, doing your turn after each other ;).
    The patch notes say, that you'll be able to save after your turn, send the save to a friend, who can do the same, and so on (that's meant as intermediate solution until the right PBEM has been implemented).

3. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Well yeah, that's true. Haha, I normally want to start a new game and a different map and situation before finishing.

4. Civsassin

Civsassin Immortal

There was a mention of improved naval invasions in the patch notes. We'll see.

5. Agent Cooper

Agent Cooper Lynch's Creation

The notion that more AI units under strategic inadequite management can 'balance' fewer player units under competent strategic management, strikes me as wishful.

If the developers aspire for balance on the battlefield, it's the AI that needs improvement or the combat system needs to be adjusted to work with the AI they are capable of designing.

6. RealHuhn

RealHuhn Emperor

Man, am I the only one who can't play the game anymore without this awesome patch?

I need it !!!!!!

7. insaneweasel

insaneweasel Prince

Marksmen/snipers/ambush gunmen have been a major part of warfare for years. In the American Revolution, for instance, they were feared by the commanding officers.

They should be an upgrade path for archers/crossbows, but only if they get a penalty, like being unable to kill modern units.

8. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Many ancient armies didn't separate spears and swords into distinct units either.

9. Txurce

Txurce Deity

I'd say the tactical AI works pretty well as is for almost everyone playing on King and below. They are already being at least somewhat challenged. The Deity "balance" limits that level to a tiny percentage of users. In that group, how many aren't being challenged by the AI bonuses? Short answer: not enough to worry about!

The TBC mod has a more elegant solution that just quantity, though. It grants promotions to the AI units based on difficulty level, with additional promotions for units built in each succeeding era. It's too bad that the devs didn't lift this mechanic from TBC, given how much else they took.

There's also a level above Deity, but I don't think anyone's played it (or written about it, anyway).

10. Randall Turner

Randall Turner King

Guys, it's an immersion-breaker. It'd be a scale anomaly. There's no such thing as a battalion or battery of snipers. The fact that they can't hold ground I think is secondary.

It's just a game, but the unit doesn't "fit" the game scale.

Does it really? The tactical AI is the easiest thing to exploit, and likewise the hardest to "fix". I don't think there's much difference between adding more units or making them individually more powerful, either - same deal, make the AI army stronger to provide a challenge.

11. Txurce

Txurce Deity

Quit being so reasonable. You're going to piss people off.

12. Agent Cooper

Not sure I agree about the effeciency of the tactical AI no matter the difficulty level, but I'll leave it at that. Perhaps different players percieve the expression 'balance' differently in the context of the game, so it's not really a right vs wrong argument to start with.

I also really like how Thal included small promotion icons over each unit, so you can see details without the need of highlighting them. It's so obvious and usable you can't help wonder why the devs didn't include it in the patch.

The level above deity - are we talking vanilla game or the mod?

13. Txurce

Txurce Deity

1. I'm sure we're on the same page about AI tactical efficiency. I was referring to "more AI units under strategic inadequite management can 'balance' fewer player units under competent strategic management."

2. The mod. It's called Deity - every level is about one higher than the corresponding one in vanilla.

14. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

Snipers: Not as combat unit!
    As Randall Turner said: wrong scale, wrong use.
    And as insaneweasel mentioned: *officers* are their primary target, not so much the common soldier!

Therefore, as I proposed in this thread (see 7c) , "sniper" might be a spy promotion. *If* we will get spies one day, of course...

Only like this, they would make sense! Not as ranged unit upgrade for open battle troops, but as a possibility to take out enemy generals by an invisible intruder.
    (I see snipers having 1 hex range, by the way. If possible, as there seems to be a limitation of beeing both a meele and a range unit.)

15. Agent Cooper

:D

(I like the suggestions, but as long as the AI hasn't got a clue as how to protect their generals anyway....)

16. Strategist83

Strategist83 King

Great generals are great for city defense! Just station them outside the city and they take up a tile! :crazyeye:

17. Agent Cooper

...or even better - station them unprotected within range of enemy melee or mounted units so they might shout back to their buddies "I've found them! Look how good I am at this! I'm the best unit in the ga... (gunshot fired)" :crazyeye:

18. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I wasn't talking about Snipers, I was talking about Mortar and RPG teams. Since they are separate from small arms, I thought they could work without being bad for immersion.

19. He-Who-Hunts

He-Who-Hunts 2nd Legionary Cohort

I say just let the crossbowman upgrade to infantry and let the user re-pick all the promotions.

20. CYZ

CYZ Toileteer

I say mortar team.