June/July Patch Notes

hence why I dislike some of the mods. 7 Ranged Attack is ok. 7 attack range is two+ times the range of an artillery piece. that's not very smart.

er, if you have to do that, just build/buy an archer.

the only time to make chariot archers over actual archers is when you're upgrading to Keshiks or camel archers. (or getting siege for a mande cav rush)

1. I meant to write 7 ranged attack - not 7 attack range. (You're pretty literal, huh?)

2. I think the only time to build archers instead of chariots are when you a) are in predominantly rough terrain, b) intend to upgrade to an arrow UU, or c) can't handle the difference in hammers/gold.

Since Porcelain Tower and Rationalism Opener branch will boost Research Agreements, I think they should change ai to demand more money to sign a RAs if you have Rationalism and Porcelain Tower. Likewise,ai can pay you more money to sign a RA if ai has both Porcelain Tower and Rationalism. the money demanded can be +60 gold if there's only 1 modifier and +120 if there's both modifier. For example,ai will pay you +120 gold to sign a RA with you if ai has both Rationalism+Porcelain Tower.

Just a question in regards to the hotseat. Will this option be available for LAN and Internet games or is it going to be a different option entirely for playing the game on 1 computer? I just tried multiplayer with my friends the other day and the current move at the same time system completely removes any use of strategy in the game. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of playing civ with my friends. We want to prove who has the best strategy not who has the best ping and response times.

Unhappiness per city increased to 3 from 2.

Seriously Greg...I have to ask (and no I am not trolling nor flaming) why it is that you guys continue to think that you have to make it more and more difficult for us humans who play the highest levels to build a decent sized fun empire and/or to conquer one?

IMHO this is more to nerf ICS further than it is to do with the other happiness changes. Generally speaking, you will be able to get more happiness rather than less with SP's under the new rules. However, you will have to spend more time/effort to actually develop your cities now instead of just dumping out size 3 settler farms.

The more I look at these overall changes the more I see rationalism tree overall + scholasticism as the high-level player's choice going forward.

I would simply add one unit, move back the "no setup" feature to Artillery, and merge the lines there. This way, you only add one unit, preserve a unit role more effectively, and make promoting ranged units effective.

Artillery is already overpowered, the last thing it needs is a buff.

And an even older saying goes, 'Go stuff yourself.'

His recommendation was a good one, it is quite easy even for a novice to mod out undesirable content right now for civ5. Your recommendation, otoh was uncalled for.

The highest levels are supposed to be a challenge. If you just want to play for fun, play at a lower level. I play Prince/King, don't want to have to think too hard when I get home from work.

With happiness the way it is currently, Immortal is plenty enough challange for me and I can certainly lose my fair share of games at that level.

The absolute last thing this game needs is any more happiness nerfs. The previous patch making city spacing one tile further apart was the final step needed to nerf ICS.

Some of us consider it fun to actually be able to keep a few conquered cities and keep happiness slightly positive for most of the time.

With every patch..happiness gets nerfed for the human and yet the AI's have tons of happiness.

So sad to see ... neilkaz ...

Meritocracy: +1 Happiness for each city connected to your capital, and -5% Unhappiness from citizens in non-occupied cities.

Could someone please explain exactly what a non-occupied city is? I fear that Meritocracy could hurt more than it helps!

Thx .. neilkaz ..

Meritocracy: +1 Happiness for each city connected to your capital, and -5% Unhappiness from citizens in non-occupied cities.

Could someone please explain exactly what a non-occupied city is? I fear that Meritocracy could hurt more than it helps!

Thx .. neilkaz ..

It's the 'annexed' city before a courthouse goes in. It works the same as the old Theocracy, but much smaller.

The highest levels are supposed to be a challenge. If you just want to play for fun, play at a lower level. I play Prince/King, don't want to have to think too hard when I get home from work.

I have to disagree here. A game is supposed to be fun, no matter what difficulty you play on. I don't know if the patch is gonna suck or not, but one thing is for sure: a game must be fun on all modes/difficulties. You're not supposed to play it on higher difficulties just because it's a mindless challenge. Challenges can be fun too.

It's the 'annexed' city before a courthouse goes in. It works the same as the old Theocracy, but much smaller.

Thx..and when making my initial post I missconsidered the effects of -5% UNhappiness.

OK so if I have 20 pop in puppet cities they will only cost me 19 unhappiness?

Or do I have to annex the cities but no build the courthouse? This is quite rare.

I have to disagree here. A game is supposed to be fun, no matter what difficulty you play on. I don't if the patch is gonna suck or not, but one thing is for sure: a game must be fun on all modes/difficulties. You're not supposed to play it on higher difficulties just because it's a mindless challenge. Challenges can be fun too.

You're missing his point. For Calouste, too much of a challenge isn't fun. Deity is supposed to be challenging. It's also more limiting. Whether that's fun or not is in the eye of the beholder.

All I know is that I'd just about quit playing the game until I read about this patch and now I may have cause to pick it up and try it out again. I really want to like this game, I do, after spending countless hours playing all its predecessors, but so far it has been a struggle to find my comfort level with the game. Hopefully that will now change for the better. (fingers crossed)

You're missing his point. For Calouste, too much of a challenge isn't fun. Deity is supposed to be challenging. It's also more limiting. Whether that's fun or not is in the eye of the beholder.

It's true that Deity is challenging, but I always thought that playing on the highest /one of the highest difficulties in any game is more fun than playing on low levels. Maybe because you feel you are actually good when you beat a fun challenging game at those difficulties. So for me it's "the more challenging something is, the more fun it gets" (provided the challenge is actually worth it and implemented in a right way)

Of course this is just my opinion. As you said, "fun or not is in the eye of the beholder".

Diety is supposed to be nigh impossible. I'm wondering if a lot of people are worried about taking a shot to the ego and needing to knock back the difficulty level without their tried-and-true strategies.

Thx..and when making my initial post I missconsidered the effects of -5% UNhappiness.

OK so if I have 20 pop in puppet cities they will only cost me 19 unhappiness?

Or do I have to annex the cities but no build the courthouse? This is quite rare.

It's my understanding that puppet cities are considered occupied. So the policy has no impact on unhappiness from puppets. If you annex and build a courthouse its population will count, but puppet population will not.

Diety is supposed to be nigh impossible. I'm wondering if a lot of people are worried about taking a shot to the ego and needing to knock back the difficulty level without their tried-and-true strategies.

It's not an ego thing. It's that the late game is easier than the early game.

A lot of people like to play late-game for all the different unit types, air defense, fancy ship types, etc. The problem is that as the game gets more tactically complex the AI's ability to compete suffers. (Though it does benefit from stack-o-doom piles of fighters, that's the only thing the AI seems to manage well - it's terrible at naval combat, it needs the extra units there.)

If you drop down to an easier level where the AI doesn't have significant steady-state bonuses just to get around the early difficulty "hump", the late game isn't competitive.

Top Bottom