1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

June/July Patch Notes

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by 2K Greg, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Txurce

Txurce Deity

1. I meant to write 7 ranged attack - not 7 attack range. (You're pretty literal, huh?)

2. I think the only time to build archers instead of chariots are when you a) are in predominantly rough terrain, b) intend to upgrade to an arrow UU, or c) can't handle the difference in hammers/gold.

2. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

And an even older saying goes, 'Go stuff yourself.'

Moderator Action: This comment is inappropriate and rude.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

3. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

Not helpful, modding is a viable alternative to fix the stuff you don't like. We get it, you don't like Civ V. Now be useful or interesting or go away.

Moderator Action: Please don't tell other users to "go away" - thanks.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

4. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

Civs by the numbers, Let's start with one.
    (Siam, Babylon, Persia, Arabia and Aztecs)

5. GenjiKhan

GenjiKhan Emperor

Since Porcelain Tower and Rationalism Opener branch will boost Research Agreements, I think they should change ai to demand more money to sign a RAs if you have Rationalism and Porcelain Tower. Likewise,ai can pay you more money to sign a RA if ai has both Porcelain Tower and Rationalism. the money demanded can be +60 gold if there's only 1 modifier and +120 if there's both modifier. For example,ai will pay you +120 gold to sign a RA with you if ai has both Rationalism+Porcelain Tower.

6. Zeknichov

Zeknichov Chieftain

Just a question in regards to the hotseat. Will this option be available for LAN and Internet games or is it going to be a different option entirely for playing the game on 1 computer? I just tried multiplayer with my friends the other day and the current move at the same time system completely removes any use of strategy in the game. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of playing civ with my friends. We want to prove who has the best strategy not who has the best ping and response times.

7. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

IMHO this is more to nerf ICS further than it is to do with the other happiness changes. Generally speaking, you will be able to get more happiness rather than less with SP's under the new rules. However, you will have to spend more time/effort to actually develop your cities now instead of just dumping out size 3 settler farms.

The more I look at these overall changes the more I see rationalism tree overall + scholasticism as the high-level player's choice going forward.

Artillery is already overpowered, the last thing it needs is a buff.

His recommendation was a good one, it is quite easy even for a novice to mod out undesirable content right now for civ5. Your recommendation, otoh was uncalled for.

8. neilkaz

neilkaz King

With happiness the way it is currently, Immortal is plenty enough challange for me and I can certainly lose my fair share of games at that level.

The absolute last thing this game needs is any more happiness nerfs. The previous patch making city spacing one tile further apart was the final step needed to nerf ICS.

Some of us consider it fun to actually be able to keep a few conquered cities and keep happiness slightly positive for most of the time.

With every patch..happiness gets nerfed for the human and yet the AI's have tons of happiness.

So sad to see ... neilkaz ...

9. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

Civs by the numbers, Part 2.
    (Songhai, Denmark, China, France, India, Japan, Russia)

10. neilkaz

neilkaz King

Meritocracy: +1 Happiness for each city connected to your capital, and -5% Unhappiness from citizens in non-occupied cities.

Could someone please explain exactly what a non-occupied city is? I fear that Meritocracy could hurt more than it helps!

Thx .. neilkaz ..

11. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

It's the 'annexed' city before a courthouse goes in. It works the same as the old Theocracy, but much smaller.

12. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan King

I have to disagree here. A game is supposed to be fun, no matter what difficulty you play on. I don't know if the patch is gonna suck or not, but one thing is for sure: a game must be fun on all modes/difficulties. You're not supposed to play it on higher difficulties just because it's a mindless challenge. Challenges can be fun too.

13. neilkaz

neilkaz King

Thx..and when making my initial post I missconsidered the effects of -5% UNhappiness.

OK so if I have 20 pop in puppet cities they will only cost me 19 unhappiness?

Or do I have to annex the cities but no build the courthouse? This is quite rare.

14. Txurce

Txurce Deity

You're missing his point. For Calouste, too much of a challenge isn't fun. Deity is supposed to be challenging. It's also more limiting. Whether that's fun or not is in the eye of the beholder.

15. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

All I know is that I'd just about quit playing the game until I read about this patch and now I may have cause to pick it up and try it out again. I really want to like this game, I do, after spending countless hours playing all its predecessors, but so far it has been a struggle to find my comfort level with the game. Hopefully that will now change for the better. (fingers crossed)

16. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan King

It's true that Deity is challenging, but I always thought that playing on the highest /one of the highest difficulties in any game is more fun than playing on low levels. Maybe because you feel you are actually good when you beat a fun challenging game at those difficulties. So for me it's "the more challenging something is, the more fun it gets" (provided the challenge is actually worth it and implemented in a right way)

Of course this is just my opinion. As you said, "fun or not is in the eye of the beholder".

17. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Diety is supposed to be nigh impossible. I'm wondering if a lot of people are worried about taking a shot to the ego and needing to knock back the difficulty level without their tried-and-true strategies.

18. WeaselSlapper

WeaselSlapper Prince

It's my understanding that puppet cities are considered occupied. So the policy has no impact on unhappiness from puppets. If you annex and build a courthouse its population will count, but puppet population will not.

19. Randall Turner

Randall Turner King

It's not an ego thing. It's that the late game is easier than the early game.

A lot of people like to play late-game for all the different unit types, air defense, fancy ship types, etc. The problem is that as the game gets more tactically complex the AI's ability to compete suffers. (Though it does benefit from stack-o-doom piles of fighters, that's the only thing the AI seems to manage well - it's terrible at naval combat, it needs the extra units there.)

If you drop down to an easier level where the AI doesn't have significant steady-state bonuses just to get around the early difficulty "hump", the late game isn't competitive.

20. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

Occupied status is only when you see the red/blank infinity symbol on the city. So no puppets.