1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

June/July Patch Notes

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by 2K Greg, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

Sorry, no deeper insights available. The names of the DLC is all he mentioned.

2. gingerbill

gingerbill Prince

hard to say but by reading the patch notes they look great . I too am worried about happiness though.

3. Uniform Sierra

Uniform Sierra Warlord

Not happy about nerfing walls and castles. That was really unnecessary. I've never even had the AI take one of my cities let alone damage it in months and that was back in the day when I was a noob.

4. elprofesor

elprofesor Pluri-editing poster

If you ask me, it's base defense that should be dropped. If you surprise an enemy with no basic defenses, getting his cities should be a walk in the park, even with a somewhat weak invasion force; the game should reward players that prepare for an invasion more than it does (rush-buying is expensive at the beginning of the game though), and give extra incentives for building the defensive buildings (granted, now honor transforms them into free happiness...).

5. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

Updated patch notes:

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?108900-June-July-Patch-Notes&p=1407473#post1407473

6. SirSaab

SirSaab Warlord

What about a PERMANENT POSITIVE MODIFIER for LIBERATING an AI player??? How is this STILL not in there? Nobody in their right mind likes being hated by the AI they liberated, so nobody liberates the AI anymore! Why is this not being added??? GRR! :mad:

7. Txurce

Txurce Deity

Not true. I do it whenever I take any such city that I don't want - which, playing conquest, is often. At such a late-game stage, being hated is pretty irrelevant.

8. eric_

eric_ Emperor

Yeah, I also liberate to reconstitute a buffer or to create a new one. The hate of an AI in such a decimated condition is pretty irrelevant ;).

I do think it's a little odd, though, unless you were involved in their initial demise.

9. ArcaneSeraph

ArcaneSeraph Warlord

"Forbidden Palace now provides -10% unhappiness from Citizens in non-occupied Cities."

That change sounds interesting... though it might annoy the wide empire, small city people a touch. It can result in more happiness overall but your smallish cities will need to be a touch bigger before they can break even with what it used to be. Still... I kind of like it as it will both benefit wide and tall empires now.

10. SirSaab

SirSaab Warlord

Ok, I admit I do that too. :mischief: What I meant to say is that there is no diplomatic incentive for anybody to waste their time (which is what it pretty much is right now) or resources to liberate a rival civ when they're just gonna hate you for it.

11. -Perceval-

-Perceval- Prince

I WANT to see in diplomacy: WHAT THE AI PLAYERS THINKS OF EACH OTHERS!
    Like we did by pressing F4 in civ 4

12. elprofesor

elprofesor Pluri-editing poster

Actually, you only need to get your small cities to 5 pop to get as much happiness out of it as pre-patch, and to 7.5 to get as much as it would give post-patch if it hadn't been changed. It's definitely a buff to the FP, and now it can help tall empires too (although you have to get 4 cities with 25 pop each to get as much happiness as the new Notre Dame).

13. Montov

Montov King

Nice updates. Funny how they list bugfixes as gameplay. :p

14. Lose

Lose King

thats the point, they want to make cities require armys now. i personally like this change because defence walls are a pain even with siege... i play on immortal/emperor.

15. Martin Alvito

Martin Alvito Real men play SMAC

You can get that information by asking leaders, "What do you think about...", but it is seriously tedious to do so. A cleaner presentation like the CIV relationship map would be very helpful.

16. eric_

eric_ Emperor

Definitely agree about the relationships map. Would love to have that back. Used it all the time.

17. Babri

Babri Emperor

The problem is not because walls make cities too tough, the problem is that they make cities heal very quickly. In my opinion cities without walls should get greater strength boost but not a massive healing boost. Currently it is pointless to lay siege in the traditional way.

18. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

You can't do this in Civ 5.

19. Lose

Lose King

yeah the healing/defense makes it too tough thats what i meant. as of right now cities are quite hard to take with just walls/castle . with the recent changes to annexing and nerfing the walls means they want more people to conquer i guess.

20. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

Or the AI to conquer more (which is my guess). Also, making them less powerful increases their marginal value; as it is now, if you build walls you don't need any of the other defensive buildings.

OT, I wish the devs gave each defensive structure different effects (ie, damage adjacent units, increase healing rate separate from defensive value, increase damage dealt, etc). I think it would be more fun.:)