Kim Jong-il Instructs Footballers by Invisible Phone

He could be a gigolo for grannies!

Why do they put out these ridiculous lies about North Korea, and why do so many people believe them?

Why do they put out these ridiculous lies about North Korea,
Since making fun of Dear Leader publicly would cost them dearly, people like the coach under question have to pass NK censure by "praising" him.
and why do so many people believe them?
I very much doubt anyone does. Contrary to popular belief, totalitarian systems do not cause people to become imbeciles.

But I doubt many here would understand it. Living in a society with free speech tends to do this.

I meant why do our media put out so many lies about Kim Jong-Il, and why do so many Westerners believe them? ;)

I meant why do our media put out so many lies about Kim Jong-Il, and why do so many Westerners believe them? ;)

This is some form of stupid-idiot-trolling, right? Don't think I've encountered it this clearly before.

Anyways, "our" media just reports the official proclamations from the North Korean government, they don't make up the lies themselves.

Moderator Action: Trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

This is some form of stupid-idiot-trolling, right? Don't think I've encountered it this clearly before.

Anyways, "our" media just reports the official proclamations from the North Korean government, they don't make up the lies themselves.

:rolleyes: Why don't you report me for trolling then? If you really think a national leader is speaking on invisible phones or that South Korean media don't ever make things up then feel free, but I have the right to question what I consider to be outright nonsense

:rolleyes: Why don't you report me for trolling then? If you really think a national leader is speaking on invisible phones or that South Korean media don't ever make things up then feel free, but I have the right to question what I consider to be outright nonsense
Oh, I didn't consider it a bad form of trolling. Should have put a :p after the line to show it. :)

And I don't think anyone believes that Dear Leader has done most of the things the government says he has, but unlike my fellow human beings within North Korea I don't have a gun to my head to swear that I do believe it.

I know that South Korean media can make up stuff, just like any other media. A Korean poster could probably give you lots of examples of this.

However, they really don't need to make up many stories about North Korea - it's crazy like only a dystopic Orwellian society can be...

Moderator Action: An accusation of trolling is still trolling, no matter what smiley you use (or don't use).

Wasn't it the team's coach who made the claim?

ESPN apparently ridiculed North Korea throughout the match. I couldn't find any details but maybe there was a breakdown in translation and he meant hands-free. Or maybe he didn't say anything like this at all. It's sad how people are so desperate to spread lies they can't even give it a rest during a sporting tournament like the World cup.

A North Korean diplomat spoke about the "Chinese Actors" allegation as well

"Another North Korean diplomat in South Africa, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he's not authorized to speak to journalists, told AOL News he's upset that his country's appearance at the World Cup has sparked "fabrications and speculations" in the media.

"Why would we bring other nationalities instead of Koreans? What for? It's so strange to me," he said. "Truth will be revealed as history flows. We don't need to make an effort to reveal our truth," he said cryptically. "There are so many lies in this world, like about the Cheonan warship."

http://www.aolnews.com/world/articl...p-soccer-fans-are-genuine-not-actors/19518824

Life inside North Korea. These people seem to have some intelligent opinions of their own.

Link to video.

You know, you would be a more believable troll if you didn't argue the divinity of free market capitalism with the nick Ayn Rand in one instance, for then to suddenly turn around to try and defend a tyrannical, despotic, quasi-communistic hellhole like North Korea in the next instance. ;)

You know, you would be a more believable troll if you didn't argue the divinity of free market capitalism with the nick Ayn Rand in one instance, for then to suddenly turn around to try and defend a tyrannical, despotic, quasi-communistic hellhole like North Korea in the next instance. ;)

Ayn Rand's philosophy is about the rational facts and truth. Why do we need to lie about North Korea or misrepresent life there? Whatever they do, we can do it better, because Capitalism is still the better system anyway, and we can prove it by rational, objective arguments. Misrepresenting their country makes it look like we have no real confidence in our own system :)

Ayn: I could beleive that there was a mistranslation, and that a good portion of North Koreans don't buy everything the regime puts out hook, line and sinker, but you can't deny the fact that Kim is just bat-poop insane when it comes to his personal accomplishments, and those in turn are made into public policy in the DPRK. So it seems more than possible that he might say that he himself was directing the coaching (assuming they won) from a phone that couldn't be seen (which he had invented).

Ayn: I could beleive that there was a mistranslation, and that a good portion of North Koreans don't buy everything the regime puts out hook, line and sinker, but you can't deny the fact that Kim is just bat-poop insane when it comes to his personal accomplishments, and those in turn are made into public policy in the DPRK. So it seems more than possible that he might say that he himself was directing the coaching (assuming they won) from a phone that couldn't be seen (which he had invented).

I can't really make a judgement call on North Korea because there is a lack of objective information in the Western media about the country. When Western journalists have been invited by Pyongyang to have contact with the North, they just make up ridiculous lies like this one about the invisible phone, and then journalists don't get invited back which helps to facilitate the information embargo that is probably convenient to both sides.

It's clear that the South Koreans also think this is a big joke and don't care about giving real information to America and the West, but only try to maintain the one-dimensional view of North Korea that supports their policy, regardless of the potential costs in American lives if a war breaks out. They expect us to believe this ship was sunk by the North - and I was ready to believe it despite my suspicions - and then they pick up a nonsensical story like this which shows how seriously we ought to be taking the South's view of things.

I can't really make a judgement call on North Korea because there is a lack of objective information in the Western media about the country. When Western journalists have been invited by Pyongyang to have contact with the North, they just make up ridiculous lies like this one about the invisible phone, and then journalists don't get invited back which helps to facilitate the information embargo that is probably convenient to both sides.

It's clear that the South Koreans also think this is a big joke and don't care about giving real information to America and the West, but only try to maintain the one-dimensional view of North Korea that supports their policy, regardless of the potential costs in American lives if a war breaks out. They expect us to believe this ship was sunk by the North - and I was ready to believe it despite my suspicions - and then they pick up a nonsensical story like this which shows how seriously we ought to be taking the South's view of things.

So there is a conspiracy among the western press and south korea to discredit North Korean in the eyes of the world? And would go so far as to do a double-shot of sinking thier own ship (and over 100 of thier own sailors) along with a story about how KJI is winning them the world cup?

I think your 'rational' credentials are losing stock.

Let's leave out the notion that SK sunk thier own ship (or had a terrible accident and decided to blame it on NK) and focus for a moment on what KJI actually says about himself, including:

(1) how he was born...

Link to video.

(2) His official biography claims he has composed numerous operas and musicals

(3) State media routinely remarks that he is the world's greatest golfer.

(4) N Korean media claims he personally invented something that looks remarkably like a hamburger.

GIven that, is it really that unreasonable that he would have claimed to have invented a phone, and that we was personally involved in his teamn's performance at the world cup?

So there is a conspiracy among the western press and south korea to discredit North Korean in the eyes of the world? And would go so far as to do a double-shot of sinking thier own ship (and over 100 of thier own sailors) along with a story about how KJI is winning them the world cup?

Let's leave out the notion that SK sunk thier own ship (or had a terrible accident and decided to blame it on NK)

You have some good points about the insane claims by official media for their "deal leader". But about the ship think, there are many people (even inside South Korea) suspecting that it was a "friendly fire" incident with a US-laid mine, not reported as such because of the trouble the US was having with maintaining its naval bases in nearby Japan.

And, on topic, whatever I saw on portuguese media about North Korea didn't include outrageous claims about invisible phones. And the journalists had been digging everything they could about NK. Admittedly, very little.

I'm getting really bored of people trying to drag every discussion down into personal arguments. Let's just stick to the facts - which, as I pointed out, are very few.

I don't believe most of the stories about North Korea, and I have suddenly realised that this ship was probably not sunk by the North either. Call it an intuition or gut-feeling if you will, but until I start seeing some proof and fact-based analysis on North Korea then I'm going to be maintaining a very critical attitude.

Ok, I'm sorry if I'm not playing nice, it just baffles me a little that you could see the scenario out there as so far fetched.

As for the sinking of the ship, an international panel has decided that it is the most likely scenario for what happened:

Investigators said they had discovered part of the torpedo on the sea floor and it carried lettering that matched a North Korean design

Maybe it is just a big conspiracy, but I'm going to take the position that it probably was a torpedo from the North.

As for the 'invisible phone', it may very well have been a mistranslation, but given the 'facts' straight from the horse's mouth (see above!) would this really be so out out of character for Kim and the DPRK? ANd maybe they didn't hire people to cheer on thier team, but they did kidnap and imprison Japanese filmakers for years so they could make monster flics for the 'Dear Leader', so I'll be a little more skeptical of the North Korean position.

Be skeptical all you want, but don't miss the stuff that's in fromt of your face either....

Top Bottom